PDA

View Full Version : How much for a spray hood?

NormanS
10-10-12, 12:48
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for a new spray hood. It's quite small, approx 1.4m accross x 1.1m f/a x 0.5 high.

I've been given a quote of 640 + VAT, which seems a lot.

Thanks in advance.

orangemikey
10-10-12, 12:56
Do you need the metalwork aswel or is it just a canvass recover you want?
Makes quite a difference to price!

Tranona
10-10-12, 13:41
If that is a complete sprayhood with framework made to measure, it is cheap. If it is just the canvas work then probably bit high.

Stemar
10-10-12, 14:59
I had a spray hood made a few years ago by Comfort Afloat in Gosport. It was around 800 inc VAT. My boat's mooring is 200 yards from their office, so it wasn't difficult, but they came to the boat and measured up. They refused to use the original frame on the grounds that it wan't up to it. A few weeks later I came down and my new hood was fitted. I thought the fit could have been better and mentioned this. The next time I came to the boat, the hood had gone. On my next visit it was back and much better. Having seen the new one, they were right about the frame.

I've seen cheaper on line hoods done to measurments supplied by the owner and mine was a better fit even before I complained.

It must be about 7 years old now and a bit faded, but still going strong.

NormanS
10-10-12, 15:36
The quote was for new material, using the existing framework. I felt it was dear, but it's not the sort of thing you buy very often, so looking for comparisons.

Tranona
10-10-12, 15:39
The quote was for new material, using the existing framework. I felt it was dear, but it's not the sort of thing you buy very often, so looking for comparisons.

Easy to find out. Send the same enquiry to 4 of the canvas workers / sailmakers who advertise nationally - although there are literally dozens of firms that can do the job.

orangemikey
10-10-12, 16:05
I got quotes from several companys this year at southampton boatshow and a few local southampton companys for a sprayhood recover using my existing frame. My boat is 27ft and the quotes i recieved ranged from 450 to 800 inc vat. Decided to go with Kemps who were by far the most helpful company i contacted and look to me to be the best value at approx 550 inc vat. Included all the template making, fitting, adjusting etc.

Zagato
10-10-12, 16:46
Recently quoted 350 - 550 for a new sprayhood using existing frame. The first was a guy that works from Blagdons Boat Yard in Plymouth, the second quote was from Cornish Crabbers themselves...

pvb
10-10-12, 16:55
A few years ago, I got a new sprayhood for my HR direct from Hallberg Rassy in Sweden. The current price is about 420 inc VAT. 640 + VAT sounds a lot, especially for a small sprayhood.

Spyro
10-10-12, 17:11
I had new dodgers made by http://www.martexmarine.com/ He just works on his own. He also will copy an old sprayhodd if you take it or send it too him. Very reasonable.

bitbaltic
10-10-12, 17:21
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for a new spray hood. It's quite small, approx 1.4m accross x 1.1m f/a x 0.5 high.

Thanks in advance.

480 including VAT for a navy canvas hood, including fitting, excluding the metalwork, earlier in the season.

Boat is 30 ft with a 9 ft beam.

640+ seems steep unless the metalwork is included or the boat is very big.

saltylegs
10-10-12, 20:06
This year a complete new hood and frame for a 33 footer the quote was 600 all in for delivery and fitting in May.
He took ill and final fit was until June so he knocked off 50 quid :D

jusw
10-10-12, 20:20
I replaced mine this spring on a 27 ft Hunter.

I'm prettty sure the price was 450 using existing frames. It was a perfect fit ands done by "Cover2Cover" in Birdham (Chichester) - Google them

JuSw

wilkinsonsails
10-10-12, 20:34
Small hood without frame and not fitted on board ,start from 350.00 plus Vat.
A lot of the cost is visiting the boats couple of times if it's fitted .
If you have to start from scratch,it's three visits.
So if you chose the closest hoodmaker,that can cut the cost.
Also some of us hold patterns for AWB,which is a good start for lowering the cost too.

NormanS
10-10-12, 22:31
Many thanks to all for your help. We have one sailmaker very close (5 miles away), and all the rest are far away. Unfortunately it's the close one who has given the high quote. Possibly your input will give me some ammunition to show them.

saltylegs
10-10-12, 22:47
since you have the frame and presumably the old canvas why not send the fabric to a cover maker to use as a template.

ukmctc
11-10-12, 03:57

Thanks in advance.

Best place to have one made is Carrickfergus NI, cheapest around the UK. Although your quote seems average I reckon Aquashak would be cheaper and that would include the steelwork and fittings.

ukmctc
11-10-12, 04:02
I got mine by Aquashak and I only paid 2000 this year for the Steel, Hood, The Cockpit enclosure, the dodgers, the hatch cover and a full set of cockpit cushions. They did a fantastic job and it looks great, one visit to discuss, one to measure, one to template and one to fit and adjust.
You can see it on Yahoogroups/boatingdreams, can't seem to get pictures up on here.

sailorman
11-10-12, 06:50
Many thanks to all for your help. We have one sailmaker very close (5 miles away), and all the rest are far away. Unfortunately it's the close one who has given the high quote. Possibly your input will give me some ammunition to show them.

my windows are all double stitched, i note that others tend to single stitch & the plastic windows tends to "curl". my hood was not cheap & made by an East Coast sailmaker. i did choose "stratoglas" for the windows as this does not go opaque over time but is expensive

Iain C
11-10-12, 07:00
Critical point...see photos of what the design looks like on another boat of the same class. This will ensure that they have actually done one before and you are not paying for the prototype, and to check that the aesthetics of something you will live with for 10 years are right.

I chose C&J...keenly priced, done a few before, and IMHO the nicest design I have seen...and I have seen some howlers (my old one was hopelessly low and very "angular".

wotayottie
11-10-12, 07:54
would suggest you use someone local. Your existing sprayhood will likely have shrunk a bit so the new one needsa to allow for that. Its also sense to have the new one use the same fittings as the old one so you can keep the old one for racing / winter use or when the boat is ashore. None of this can be done by a national company who works to your old one as a pattern and at the most you might save 100 shopping around. Not worth it.

sailorman
11-10-12, 08:00
would suggest you use someone local. Your existing sprayhood will likely have shrunk a bit so the new one needsa to allow for that. Its also sense to have the new one use the same fittings as the old one so you can keep the old one for racing / winter use or when the boat is ashore. None of this can be done by a national company who works to your old one as a pattern and at the most you might save 100 shopping around. Not worth it.

my new (10 yrs ago) was made the the same pattern as the previous one.
i swap them over during the winter

Zagato
11-10-12, 11:24
I was advised by two firms not have one made up copied from my old one :confused: Really not sure why as long as you account for possible shrinkage!

DaveParry
12-10-12, 18:58
Have a look at some pictures of this DIY version from Martex Marine. I was quite impressed with the price and how easily I fitted it to my Oyster 26:

http://www.oyster26.com/2012/09/coach-roof-width-for-a-spray-hood/

NormanS
12-10-12, 21:35
Thanks for all your input. I've now had a quote from another company of 350 +VAT, which seems much more realistic. Not quite as local, but at least in the same country.

CandJMarineLtd
24-10-12, 09:41
Good Morning! We have only just seen your post, but if there is anything we can do to help with your decision making please do contact us. We are always happy to discuss your requirements, provide our advice and opinions. Kind regards.

jimi
24-10-12, 09:50

Thanks in advance.

That seems rather a lot. I paid less than that for one including metalwork.
If near Cornwall talk to http://www.kernow-boat-covers.co.uk/yacht-sprayhoods.php

sailorman
24-10-12, 10:17
Thanks for all your input. I've now had a quote from another company of 350 +VAT, which seems much more realistic. Not quite as local, but at least in the same country.

check out the quality, some cut corners by only one row of stitches to windows that allow the window material to curl at the edges + reinforcing of high wear areas
aesthetic design is very important unless you want a Casey Jones lookalike shed
http://www.kernow-boat-covers.co.uk/Images/17012009203.jpg

NormanS
24-10-12, 11:05
Good Morning! We have only just seen your post, but if there is anything we can do to help with your decision making please do contact us. We are always happy to discuss your requirements, provide our advice and opinions. Kind regards.

PM sent.

JollyRodgers
15-05-15, 11:44
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but to who said they thought 600 was steep, I just got quoted 1250 for a new spray hood and 10 weeks delivery :O