PDA

View Full Version : 2 Pack varnish. All it is 'cracked up' to be?

JSB
22-02-04, 13:34
Hi
I am now able to evaluate some woodwork I done 2 seasons ago using International Perfection Varnish. On both mahogany and oak it has deteriorated in places to the extent that some of the mahogany has gone grey with weather. Application details would have not been perfect i.e. temperature down to 8 degrees 'C' and unknown humidity. I would have kept within the product advice re temperature, no of coats, time between coats etc. I think unless I can find some way of making this product more durable I will go back to one coat varnish which lasted me as long and was much cheaper. Any comments?

Regards

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

omega2
22-02-04, 14:26
We do not have a lot of wood to maintain, praise the lord, and have tried all the (marine products) over the years and find that none of them are a long term solution on external surfaces, our gunwales go grey/white no matter what, so we have reverted to glass paper and sadolin applied annually. You have my sympathies if you are doing large amounts of woodwork.

<hr width=100% size=1>J HAMER

StephenW
22-02-04, 18:08
Hev been using Djeks Olje No 1 (oil) saturant and No 2 (crusty layer).

Seems to work well. Bleach, saturate wit oil (several coats) and then put on several hard top coats.

Made the mistake this year (first year of renewal) of not cleaning/brightening before retouching, so I have some areas a bit darker than others, but otherwise seems effective.

Have also heard good reports of Epiphanes

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49
22-02-04, 19:05
I have acres of wood, a lot of it varnished, I wouldnt throw teo pack vbarnish at my worst enemy, its awful stuff!! IMHO, I use Coelans for areas hard to get at, masts, bulwarks, covering boards etc and Epifanes for varnish work, the new coat on dry (Hard wood oil) is good for fast build up. I use the same intenally, but in soime areas matt. I have owned only wooden boats for 30 years and have been varnishing longer than that, s as has my bruv, so I have a fair amount of experience in different products. Varnoil is also a very good product, in the right conditions.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SlowlyButSurely
23-02-04, 08:23
I've tried everything over the years including polyurethane varnish, two pack varnish, micor-porous wood-stain, teak oil, fancy expensive oil with scandinavian names, Burgess wood sealer etc, etc, etc......

I know use plain old ordinary varnish from the builder's merchant because it's much cheaper, lasts just as long and most importantly, it's much easier to scrape off when it needs redoing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MIKE_MCKIE
23-02-04, 08:24
Having got rid of most of the 2pack from the deck wood, I am now using Burgess woodsealer & gloss topcoat. All water based & works a dream. Easy to rub down & re coat, looks good & doesn't cost the earth. For instance the rubbing strake was done in less than perfect conditions in ONE DAY last February & has lasted all last season & only needs a touch up where the mooring ropes & fender ropes have chafed. The sealer dries in about 15 minutes & can be recoated wet on wet if need be. Gave it 4 coats of sealer, a light rub over with a abrasive foam pad, then 2 coats of gloss topcoat. Not Boat Show standard maybe, but has lasted the season very well, & I shall not be using anything else in the future. Given more care in application I am 100% sure it will give a beautiful finish, as well as being very durable.
Cheers
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne
23-02-04, 09:19
I used 2-pack varnish when I made some new cockpit locker lids at home. Applied in perfect conditions it lasted for about 2-3 years until it cracked, when the boom fell on it. Despite my best efforts to make it good, water got in and the mahogany started to go grey. I now treat it like the rest of the woodwork and sand and varnish with 1-pot as needed (Epiphanes for preference). I wouuldn't use it again.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc
23-02-04, 10:23
I have been using Djeks 1 & 2 for two seasons on mahogany. How do you get on with touching up areas that have gone back to bare wood through chaff etc?
I have shied away from using No. 2 on bare wood and the hassle factor of several coats of the No. 1 on small areas is too much.
This year I am going for Le Tonkeniose which can be touched up ad infinitum and will sit hapily on flatted off Djeks.

Any comment?

<hr width=100% size=1>