PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen C-Map for Android

Sybaris
10-02-13, 16:15
There is now an alternative to the Navionics app for android on Google Play.

The app is called Jeppesen Marine Plan2Nav and uses C-Map charts.

The app is free and once downloaded you can load a free world base map. This will allow you to test and see if you like the app before purchasing different charts.

I bought the East Mediterranean, Black Sea, Caspian Sea, and Northern Red Sea chart and the price was 43Sfr (approx. 35€).

I have been using C-Map on our Furuno chartplotter for years now and have been very happy with their charts so it was a pleasant surprise to see that I could now install them on my brand new Samsung pad, and that the charts are now much much cheaper than when getting them for the chartplotter.

Worth checking out if you don't feel like updating your Navionics maps, or if you prefer C-Map.

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/marine/lightmarine/mobile-devices-charts.jsp

Cheers,
Per

V1701
10-02-13, 17:27
Thanks for the heads up Per...:D

Sybaris
16-02-13, 20:24
Hi, just adding a comment to get this thread up to the top again as many of you may have missed it, and I think it is pretty useful to know there are now two good charting programs for Android.
PS I am not in any way connected with C-Map or Jeppesen, I just like their products.
Cheers,
Per

nigelmercier
16-02-13, 23:17
There is now an alternative to the Navionics app for android ...

And for iPad as well http://ww1.jeppesen.com/marine/lightmarine/mobile-devices-charts.jsp

LadyInBed
17-02-13, 03:04
Any idea if the app will take any other C Map charts other than those supplied by Jeppesen?

Sybaris
19-02-13, 09:11
Any idea if the app will take any other C Map charts other than those supplied by Jeppesen?

Very, very unlikely.

The way I see it is that with these new C-Map and Navionics apps low prices for charts they have finally done what we have been saying for a long time; lower the prices for the charts and people will buy them instead of spreading pirated copies of CM93 (C-Map charts).

Cheers,
Per

ianfr
19-02-13, 10:17
Hi

I have downloaded the app(s) and I have to say I think it is much better than the Navionics app. Not perfect but a lot more functional.

Plus points (imho)
You can move route waypoints around, unlike the Navionics app.
The favourites markers are much smaller, not obliterating the screen.
C-Map charts match those I have in the plotter.

Seems to be more stable (so far).

I am running the app on an ASUS TF300 Android 4.1.1

Regards

Ian

antaris
19-02-13, 13:27
will check it out - hopefully I can set 3 racing waypoints on the map (I am a beginner!)...:p

paulclan
19-02-13, 20:04

The app is free and once downloaded you can load a free world base map. This will allow you to test and see if you like the app before purchasing different charts.

I bought the East Mediterranean, Black Sea, Caspian Sea, and Northern Red Sea chart and the price was 43Sfr (approx. 35).

I have been using C-Map on our Furuno chartplotter for years now and have been very happy with their charts so it was a pleasant surprise to see that I could now install them on my brand new Samsung pad, and that the charts are now much much cheaper than when getting them for the chartplotter.

Worth checking out if you don't feel like updating your Navionics maps, or if you prefer C-Map.

Cheers,
Per

I bought too, for the Nexus 7 and found the charts useful so far. One thing I could not achieve was to lock the display North up. so I emailed them as they suggested users do!(No reply yet about 3 weeks ago) I found whilst zooming that the chart skewed unnoticed even though the compass icon does indicate a skew.
However it is easy to overlook.Perhaps when using it in anger with a good fix it will not prove so big an issue?
Nice prices however and at least they are more recent than some I have been using in the plotter and PC.
I noticed app is named Plan2 Nav, presumably a legal out sort of "not to be used for navigation'?

ianfr
19-02-13, 22:28
I bought too, for the Nexus 7 and found the charts useful so far. One thing I could not achieve was to lock the display North up. so I emailed them as they suggested users do!(No reply yet about 3 weeks ago) I found whilst zooming that the chart skewed unnoticed even though the compass icon does indicate a skew.
However it is easy to overlook.Perhaps when using it in anger with a good fix it will not prove so big an issue?
Nice prices however and at least they are more recent than some I have been using in the plotter and PC.
I noticed app is named Plan2 Nav, presumably a legal out sort of "not to be used for navigation'?

If you double tap the compass on the top right it pops back to North.

Regards

Ian

maej
21-02-13, 19:22
I'm very tempted by this, but using the free demo maps that supposedly show Portsmouth in full detail, on my Asus Transformer TF-101, I find I have to zoom in quite a long way before it shows any real detail. depth soundings and contours don't appear untill I'm zoomed to 1000 ft in 1 cm of screen, buoys don't show untill I'm at 500 ft to 1.5 cm of screen.
What I want is around 4000 ft to 1.5 cm or even 1 Nm to 1.5 cm as I mainly use it as a confidence booster so I can confirm my general position relative to nearby marks at a quick glance down to the chart table without needing to physically zoom in and out to determine it. Obviosly I can still get a general confirmation of my position from a look when zoomed out based on the shape of the land, but nowhere near as accurate as if it showed some detail such as the channel markers.

If I bought the proper charts for this app does it let you show more detail at lower zooms?

I've been a long term user of Navionics and I really like it, especially how much detail it shows even when zoomed out, and I find the charts very good, but given that the app only succeeds in starting up 1 in 30 or so attempts now, and then only if I have a reasonable internet connection, I'm getting very frustrated. Also given Navionics tendency to abruptly remove their software from the android market I'm not willing to spend nigh-on 50 for a new version that they could pull at any moment and may-or-may-not have the same issues.

paulclan
22-02-13, 10:38
Thanks for that suggestion Ianfr, was aware of that tap on the compass to get north up, just that the next fumble to enlarge or decrease scale upsets the north up again and you have to remember to tap comass again.Much simpler if it were north up lockable at least?
Maej, we are buying Plan2 Nav from Jepperson because there is no Navionics available for the Asus Nexus 7 as yet?As I have Navionics on the iPhone I would have plumped for Navionics again, to have consistency on both devices.
Looks like the loss of business in not providing for about 6 million Nexus 7 is not bothering Navionics at all!
Older laptop CM93 will still be running as well as paper for the hourly plot!

ianfr
22-02-13, 11:18
Thanks for that suggestion Ianfr, was aware of that tap on the compass to get north up, just that the next fumble to enlarge or decrease scale upsets the north up again and you have to remember to tap comass again.Much simpler if it were north up lockable at least?
Maej, we are buying Plan2 Nav from Jepperson because there is no Navionics available for the Asus Nexus 7 as yet?As I have Navionics on the iPhone I would have plumped for Navionics again, to have consistency on both devices.
Looks like the loss of business in not providing for about 6 million Nexus 7 is not bothering Navionics at all!
Older laptop CM93 will still be running as well as paper for the hourly plot!

I emailed Jeppeson as well suggesting that the compass was locked, UNLESS selected as free moving, also I suggested that the GPS option was a pull down, as the Ireally don't like the step through mode of selection that they have implemented. But hey that is just me :p

I quite like the app after playing with it, and I will certainly have it running tucked away in the dry whenever we go out. It certainly has the advantage over the Navionics version, which stops tracking if the tablet goes to sleep, as you can select the option to maintain tracking on. This of course saves on battery.

Regards

Ian

Troubadour
22-02-13, 12:02
One thing I could not achieve was to lock the display North up.

The online manual actually refers to north up as being the default

"A quick double tap on the screen will return the map to the
default north-up 2D view and allow for a quick zoom-in when in
the 2D/north-up mode."

However the manual assumes everyone has iPad/iPhone, Android not mentioned, maybe behaves differently.

I've downloaded it to my Nexus 7 but not played with it yet.

Are there some detailed free sample charts available? I couldn't find them!

ianfr
22-02-13, 13:00
The online manual actually refers to north up as being the default

"A quick double tap on the screen will return the map to the
default north-up 2D view and allow for a quick zoom-in when in
the 2D/north-up mode."

However the manual assumes everyone has iPad/iPhone, Android not mentioned, maybe behaves differently.

I've downloaded it to my Nexus 7 but not played with it yet.

Are there some detailed free sample charts available? I couldn't find them!

Once registered, the sample maps are available if you go to "Your Maps", then they can be downloaded and used.

The compass on Android does default to North, but any zoom that you use by gesture CAN re orientate the map, a simple double tap resets.

It is easier just to double tap the map, which zooms in and retains North up. Zoom out is only possible by the normal pinching gesture. Then the orientation can go adrift.

The C Weather function also works (if you have a connection) but you need to have a pretty large area displayed.
Tidal currents, direction are all available by tapping on them and clicking on Map Info. A bit more difficult than on the real plotter, where you hover the cursor over a tidal arrow.

Regards

Ian

wotayottie
22-02-13, 13:48
I wonder about the compatibility though. If Navionics can only get their system to work on particular tablets , can the Jepperson system really work on any and all?

jakeroyd
22-02-13, 14:16
Just for reference uk and Ireland is 26 or so.
Have installed it , got the trial maps and am having a play.
Seems to work ok on my Galaxy Note 2

Troubadour
22-02-13, 17:20
Got the sample stuff now, thanks ianfr.

See what you mean about the north heading. Almost impossible to use finger zoom without upsetting it. Not what I would call default!

makingplansfor
22-02-13, 19:35
Having already purchased the charts on a memory card for my chart plotter, it would seem reasonable that I can use them in the app. Anyone spotted whether this can be done?

jakeroyd
23-02-13, 09:31
Many thanks to Sybaris for making us aware of this alternative to Navionics.
I have Navionics on my ipad.
using the demo chart from Jepperssen of Portsmouth I am going to compare the two.
for Android both are about 26 each for UK.

I have a Galaxy Note 2 and would only have navigation on it as backup. Given that the Note has screen as large as a small plotter but of course not as robust and rubbish sunlight viewing.

is it worth considering having both on Navionics so that I have one thing to be familiar with. In panic this could matter

LittleShip
23-02-13, 10:01
I bought this package for my ipad last month, it allows you to install on up to 5 other devices, so I also have it installed on my iPhone .

Not using it as main plotter but as a backup. I have to say I like the setup but think the tidal curves could have been a little more detailed.

Tom

Ps I did post this was available after I had purchased it.

halb
23-02-13, 14:11
Good afternoon,
I downloaded this yesterday onto my Transformer TF101, it seems to me to be more user friendly than Navionics. I tried to download the UK charts onto my Galaxy S3 phone without success, so I E-mailed support and received a reply in less than an hour, in essence they apologised saying they are working on multiple devices, they also suggested that I paid for the charts for the phone, then let them know and they would refund the cost.
Another app people might like to look at is GPS Nautical Charts UK, uses HMSO charts and at 20.00 odd and is also very good/easy to understand etc.

demonboy
23-02-13, 14:17
Thanks for the heads up. I recently installed Navionics on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7 inch) and it worked ok for a few weeks. Now it keeps crashing and when I emailed Navionics they were quite unapologetic and said my money was non-refundable. This was rather frustrating since I bought the Tab specifically for this app.

demonboy
23-02-13, 14:32
Hmmm...

This item cannot be installed in your device's country

I've emailed them for a response.

paulclan
23-02-13, 15:15
Maybe if your home country differs from where you intend to use the charts,there may be a workaround?

gecko
08-03-13, 17:52
The detail on my Nexus 7 only comes into view at 250ft scale which is too large for navigation one needs at least 1-2000 ft otherwise one cannot truly plan.
I have raised this (lack of detail at small scales) with Jeppesen and have also asked them to enhance the product by substituting ft for metres as well as hiding the bottom toolbar.
They have requested screenshots to understand the issue which have been supplied.
The GPS nautical offering does not ,yet, include Northern France and so one literally drops off the chart. However, if one sails solely in home waters and have been accustomed to UKHO charts, it is a tempting offer at 24.99, as at today's date. http://www.gpsnauticalcharts.com/main/nautical-charts-united-kingdom.
I used to have the navionics on my phone but when it crashed I could not re-install it as it is no longer offered on the Symbian OS. The maintenance of detail as I zoomed out was impressive.
Fair winds and calm seas.

Vara
08-03-13, 18:50
If you double tap the compass on the top right it pops back to North.

Regards

Ian

Brilliant tip, the trouble with all the app based Nav systems is the lack of detailed instructions.

Jabamusic
08-03-13, 19:57
On the subject on charting for tablets, does anybody know of one which runs on the Blackberry Playbook- I just happen to have one or two of those lying about doing nothing!

ianfr
08-03-13, 20:13
The detail on my Nexus 7 only comes into view at 250ft scale which is too large for navigation one needs at least 1-2000 ft otherwise one cannot truly plan.
I have raised this (lack of detail at small scales) with Jeppesen and have also asked them to enhance the product by substituting ft for metres as well as hiding the bottom toolbar.
They have requested screenshots to understand the issue which have been supplied.
The GPS nautical offering does not ,yet, include Northern France and so one literally drops off the chart. However, if one sails solely in home waters and have been accustomed to UKHO charts, it is a tempting offer at 24.99, as at today's date. http://www.gpsnauticalcharts.com/main/nautical-charts-united-kingdom.
I used to have the navionics on my phone but when it crashed I could not re-install it as it is no longer offered on the Symbian OS. The maintenance of detail as I zoomed out was impressive.
Fair winds and calm seas.

Interesting, I have full detail on my ASUS TF300 at the 1000ft zoom. I have the NW European ports chart which covers the top end of Biscay to North coast of Holland and all the English bits on the other side of the channel and north sea.

Its the same coverage as the C Map cartridge.

Regards

Ian

btw the manual is downloadable from the Jeppesen web site.

Troubadour
08-03-13, 21:02
I also find on Nexus 7 that all detail disappears when you go from 250ft to 500ft. It makes it very unusable.
I only have the Portsmouth sample at the moment - full charts do the same do they?

Joker
08-03-13, 21:52
I have a Nexus 7 and have bought the Baltic charts. Works a treat. Navionics have lost a customer.

Ravi
03-03-14, 04:28
Is there is a dummies guide to the various charting options anywhere on the forum (or anywhere else)?
Something that simply lists and explains the various app and chart options for PC, Android and Apple?

Sorry, if I have missed it but I struggle with the Forum search.

Ta.

dom
03-03-14, 09:40
Is there is a dummies guide to the various charting options anywhere on the forum (or anywhere else)?
Something that simply lists and explains the various app and chart options for PC, Android and Apple?

Ta.

Hi Ravi, I bought the Jeppesen package for iPad and it's great for planning, but features like like "routes" and "tacks" seem somewhat clunky. I had a google around when I bought it and found the following to be helpful
http://www.p-sea.com/CmapGuide.pdf

BTW I am an IT numpty, so apols if that link is no use

halb
03-03-14, 09:50
I have been using this app for 12 months and find it to be easier to use than the Navionics one, less clutter of useless info etc etc and of course at a lesser cost,also look at the GPS nautical offering also very easy to use.
For info the GPS app works on the Galaxy S3, Asus tf 101 and the Galaxy Tab 3 8" without problems, at least it does on mine!

Pladdatoo
03-03-14, 23:02
Any tidal info and/or weather?

srah1953
04-03-14, 11:55
I didn't find the C map very user friendly. I've used it on Nexus 7. I find you have to really zoom in really far to get chart details to the point where I lose context.

Ravi
04-03-14, 12:46
This is all very useful info. it has helped me on my quite confusing journey through the various products and options.

I am wondering if it worth translating the notes that I have made into a dummies guide to portable chartplotter solutions. Somehow, it seems wrong for a novice to write the novice guide but, maybe, if I post in on the Wiki, those more knowledgeable I can make corrections.

Incidentally, the reason that I am looking for a PC / Android solution is that my previous setup (Garmin colour handheld plotter and the Garmin charts on my Windows laptop) is 'out of support'. This is a shame since the GPS76C is a fantastic device. Waterproof (it floats), long battery life, easy to use and (touch wood) totally reliable over 8 years. It is crazy that this perfect bit of kit is now almost useless as Garmin aren't releasing any compatible chart updates! I console myself with the fact that Android chart solutions are considerably cheaper than the horrendously expensive Garmin charts.

Cappen Boidseye
08-03-14, 10:51
I have a Sony Xperia Z1 and after the switch to Android from iPhone wnet looking for charting apps. I chose GPS Nautical Charts from the Google Store. check out gpsnauticalcharts dot com . It seems to have everything needed, offline chart downloads, a route manager, tides and currents. I am looking forward to trying it out against my Imray and Flytomap apps on the iPhone and iPad. It seems to have the seamless welding together of charts I liked in Flytomap, together with the route planning side which Imray was OK at. One advantage of the Sony phone is the ability to charge it without opening any connectors, thanks to the waterproofness and the magnetic charging connector. I will probably stick an in-line fuse into the charging cable somehow just in case a wave full of sea water tries to short out the charging cable.

Buck Turgidson
08-03-14, 13:29
Any tidal info and/or weather?

on the iPad you can download grib overlay.

Ive had plan2nav for a year on the iPad and like it a lot. I also have Imray charts which I prefer but uses raster charts and lacks the detail of the c-maps.

Ravi
08-03-14, 19:06
check out gpsnauticalcharts dot com . It seems to have everything needed, offline chart downloads, a route manager, tides and currents.

I saw that when I was putting together my list of options. Looked great excpet for the fact that they don't have charts for Greece!

I have a Sony Xperia Z1 and ..... One advantage of the Sony phone is the ability to charge it without opening any connectors, thanks to the waterproofness and the magnetic charging connector. I will probably stick an in-line fuse into the charging cable somehow just in case a wave full of sea water tries to short out the charging cable.

It looks like a great device. A pal got one for dinghy sailing and it is still alive so it really must be waterproof! He also says that the MP3 sound quality is great. I think that it will be my next phone when if my indestructable Sony Experia Active ever dies.

halb
08-03-14, 20:56
Hi Ravi, wasn't aware you needed Greece, so why not look at Open sea, it seems to have most of the world, best of all, perhaps, is that it is free, works on android and apple, just Google it.
Jon

Ravi
08-03-14, 22:53
Hi Ravi, wasn't aware you needed Greece, so why not look at Open sea, it seems to have most of the world, best of all, perhaps, is that it is free, works on android and apple, just Google it.
Jon

Hi Jon, I am not sure what you mean. I found openseamap.org but the site says that the "water depth" feature is "in beta". The "marine traffic" functionality works so it shows where the big ships are but the important stuff (depths) doesn't work. so, it just seems to be a land based thing - at the minute.

Do yo mean OpenSeaMap - or something else?

As I said in an earlier post, i am trying to put together a bit of a wiki on the subject. I will add openseamap.org to the content.

TBH - I am a bit reluctant to put my 'dummies guide to chartplotting' on the wiki because, although I intend it as a basic guide for the community to update, I am aware that I will get flamed from all angles for my technical ignorance and omissions!

charles_reed
09-03-14, 07:27

I bought the East Mediterranean, Black Sea, Caspian Sea, and Northern Red Sea chart and the price was 43Sfr (approx. 35).

Cheers,
Per

Sounds like the death-knell for dedicated chart-plotters!!

I've found even Jeppesen Ed II more accurate than Navionics cartridges.