PDA

View Full Version : GBR sail numbers

Iain C
12-02-13, 23:05
Not sure if it's the dinghy racer in me, or the patriot, however my new sails have been cut and will soon be stitched together.

However it seems a bit bland just going with the original 3 digit sail number...I quite fancy "GBR" on there too...even if she is far from a racing boat!

Is this a discussion with the RYA? Is there a fee involved and if so how much? In an ideal world I'd like to somehow retain the original numbers as part of the new one...I assume this is why you sometimes see GBR123T or GBR123Y so the same number can be "shared"?

Any advice gratefully received! Thanks.

VicS
12-02-13, 23:19
Not sure if it's the dinghy racer in me, or the patriot, however my new sails have been cut and will soon be stitched together.

However it seems a bit bland just going with the original 3 digit sail number...I quite fancy "GBR" on there too...even if she is far from a racing boat!

Is this a discussion with the RYA? Is there a fee involved and if so how much? In an ideal world I'd like to somehow retain the original numbers as part of the new one...I assume this is why you sometimes see GBR123T or GBR123Y so the same number can be "shared"?

Any advice gratefully received! Thanks.

The sail numbers to which you refer are issued by the RYA. You will find some explanation of the system and the procedure to apply on the RYA website. They are, BTW, normally four digit numbers plus a suffix letter.

http://www.rya.org.uk/joinrenew/benefitsnew/boating/Pages/sailnumbers.aspx
http://www.rya.org.uk/racing/equipmentclasses/Pages/SailNumbers.aspx

details from the RYA anyway

IIRC there are one or two other organisations that issue sail numbers. Most, especially for boats not racing, are the class insignia plus a number issued by the builder or a class association

According to your profile you have two boats with GBR sail numbers. they should be registered in your name with the RYA. The K number on your Flying fifteen likewise I think.

Your Sabre should have the Sabre insignia plus the sail number unless you obtain a GBR number for it. See http://www.sabre27.org.uk/sabre-technical-information.html

alahol2
13-02-13, 00:24
If you are not intending to race I reckon you can put whatever you want on your sails. I don't think there is any 'statutory' register of sail numbers who would/could challenge you.

Stork_III
13-02-13, 00:38
The sail numbers to which you refer are issued by the RYA. You will find some explanation of the system and the procedure to apply on the RYA website. They are, BTW, normally four digit numbers plus a suffix letter.

http://www.rya.org.uk/joinrenew/benefitsnew/boating/Pages/sailnumbers.aspx
http://www.rya.org.uk/racing/equipmentclasses/Pages/SailNumbers.aspx

details from the RYA anyway

IIRC there are one or two other organisations that issue sail numbers. Most, especially for boats not racing, are the class insignia plus a number issued by the builder or a class association

According to your profile you have two boats with GBR sail numbers. they should be registered in your name with the RYA. The K number on your Flying fifteen likewise I think.

Your Sabre should have the Sabre insignia plus the sail number unless you obtain a GBR number for it

FF sail numbers are issued by Flying Fifteen International at time of build, May 1965 for OP's FF, K was UK ident letter at time of build,so he can add GBR if he wants, but K797 is more appropriate for a classic FF.

VicS
13-02-13, 00:43
FF sail numbers are issued by Flying Fifteen International at time of build, May 1965 for OP's FF, K was UK ident letter at time of build,so he can add GBR if he wants, but K797 is more appropriate for a classic FF.

The K numbers preceded the GBR numbers ??

There was a Y series at one time IIRC . Personal numbers issued to yachts ??

Stork_III
13-02-13, 00:50
The K numbers preceded the GBR numbers ??

There was a Y series at one time IIRC . Personal numbers issued to yachts ??

K & GBR (after early 80s) are ISAF country designation for UK. Y series etc are internal UK issued by RYA.

dunedin
13-02-13, 07:22
Think we are confusing different things.

The K as a prefix was a national identifier for racing boats since replaced by GBR

Yacht racing numbers often have a suffix to distinguish ranges issued by different authorities - eg C for Clyde issued ones.

Don't see why one can't have a GBR prefix as well as the suffixed number, it is primarily the suffix which diferentiates

VicS
13-02-13, 10:13
Think we are confusing different things.

The K as a prefix was a national identifier for racing boats since replaced by GBR

Yacht racing numbers often have a suffix to distinguish ranges issued by different authorities - eg C for Clyde issued ones.

Don't see why one can't have a GBR prefix as well as the suffixed number, it is primarily the suffix which diferentiates

In one of the links I gave in#2 it states that the GBR numbers issued by the RYA are GBR followed by a four digit number and a suffix of Y, L, T or N Apart from adding that multihulls are given the suffix M they don't explain the significance , if any, of the different suffixes.

can you explain the meanings of the different suffixes?

TimBennet
13-02-13, 10:28
. . . can you explain the meanings of the different suffixes?

In the UK, sail numbers are issued by the RYA, by the RORC Rating Office or the Clyde Yacht Clubs' Association.

They all start with GBR and are then 4 figures except some special numbers issued by the RORC which are three.

RYA members will have a Y,M,N,T,A or L suffix.
Clyde Yacht Clubs' Association numbers will have a C suffix
RORC sail numbers have an R suffix.

The RYA 'N' suffix is reserved for National classes.

Some classes reserve blocks of numbers, eg all Sonatas started with an 8 (and had the N suffix) and Hunter 707's all started with a 7

alahol2
13-02-13, 10:40
The Y, T and L suffixes are just a 'series' distinguisher. The RYA has issued most of their 'L' series so they have now introduced the 'X' series. One is able to request a specific number, like a personal number plate, from within the current series.

Bobc
13-02-13, 11:15
The Y suffix always used to mean "Yachtmaster". The standard suffix given out to mere mortals was a T.

alahol2
13-02-13, 11:28
The Y suffix always used to mean "Yachtmaster". The standard suffix given out to mere mortals was a T.

Nice thought, the 'T' meaning Trainee no doubt, highly unlikely to be true. The sail number belongs to the boat, not the owner/skipper. There'd be an awful lot of newly qualified Yachtmasters feeling disgruntled that they were still labelled as a trainee...

markhomer
13-02-13, 11:36
Nothing in the world to stop you prefixing with GBR

my racing cat GBR 106 my favourite number and boats a one off .

your number I guess is class no , so prefixing with GBR can do no harm .

dare I say you could even prefix SS ;)

Iain C
13-02-13, 11:37
Ok thanks all. Spoken to the RYA...

If I wanted to keep my existing sail number and just add GBR it's over 500, assuming that number is still available. Er, no thanks.

If I wanted to just take the next GBR number available, it's only 15 but will be something like GBR1234T. On a 27' boat that's going to end up with a sail that's mainly numbers, and could look even worse if I ever use that third reefing point I've specified!

GBR123 would have fitted in one line, GBR1234T won't, so I think I'll just leave it for now. Plus, my Simeon 3 digit number will be far easier to identify from another vessel.

Thanks anyway!

Iain C
13-02-13, 11:39
Nothing in the world to stop you prefixing with GBR

my racing cat GBR 106 my favourite number and boats a one off .

your number I guess is class no , so prefixing with GBR can do no harm .

dare I say you could even prefix SS ;)

Erm, yes there is if someone has paid a load of money for "my" sail number with a GBR prefix, and then I just add a GBR in front of my number...

alahol2
13-02-13, 11:43
Erm, yes there is if someone has paid a load of money for "my" sail number with a GBR prefix, and then I just add a GBR in front of my number...

So what are they going to do about it? Sue you?

Iain C
13-02-13, 12:08
No, but it might be common courtesy not to use it and common sense to use the "correct" number. Otherwise we might as well all just pick a number that we like and make a mockery of the whole system...

A1Sailor
13-02-13, 12:28
Why not 141N C? :p

markhomer
13-02-13, 12:58

your missing it , there may be many boats out there with 106 , infact any class that numbered from anything below 106 and got to at least 106 !, GBR is allowed on any british boat , but as for suffixed nos , C, y , N R etc etc these are what folks pay for , I know I bought 3787C for my yacht , was given the option of prefixing GBR if I wanted , no one else can have GBR3787C or 3787C

the GBR is not part of the "number " the suffix is , praps calling a sequence of numbers and a suffixed letter collectively as a "sail No " is confusing , but thats tradition for you .

get it ?

your no XXX is a class no , there will be umpteen of them in the world any of them in uk ownership would be entitled to add GBR , you can too , but you cannot add a recognised suffix unless you buy the no if available .

simples ;)

markhomer
14-02-13, 10:52
you can chose a C suffixed number for 30.00 if yours is available , if you want to put the "OPTIONAL " GBR National Numbers on your sail and you dont have room , you can put it above your sail no as others do that want the GBR and dont have space , RORC chosen nos with their prefix are most exspensive , if you dont find your no with C , try out other bodies that can issue these internationally recognised numbers .

if your no is 123 and you want a unigue internationally recognised sail number under ISAF , well unfortunately that will have gone long ago in most cases , otherwise still nuthing to stop you adding "The National Letters "GBR as you origonally wanted (repeating myself - sorry )

awol
14-02-13, 10:59
Why not 141N C? :p

I'm not too keen on the "NC" bit ...... too much like calling your boat "Maidy"