PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Direct Chandlery ?

Boo2
15-04-13, 11:45
Hi,

Has anyone here used Direct Chandlery ? http://www.direct-chandlery.com/

I ordered a Lofrans windlass from them and they've sent the wrong one. I can't get an answer on their phone line and when I rang another chandlery to check the status of Lofrans in the UK I was told that Lofrans don't currently have a disty in the UK !

In addition, although DC's company details (Medline Marine Distribution Ltd T/A Direct Chandlery) check out on Companies House they are marked as "dormant" which is disorganised of them at best : http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk and enter Company No. 07366758.

Anyone know anything about this Co. ? And does anyone know anything about the Lofrans situation in the UK ?

Thanks,

Boo2

alahol2
15-04-13, 12:11
Looks like they also trade as Waveline...
http://www.wavelineleisure.com/

isandell
15-04-13, 12:20
Trail seems to reveal the same company as Marine Megastore, which I recall has featured here before.

Also trade as Medline, as at least 4 different trading names.

Ian

Boo2
15-04-13, 12:55
Trail seems to reveal the same company as Marine Megastore, which I recall has featured here before.
Oh FFS ! :mad:

Also trade as Medline, as at least 4 different trading names.
Thanks, Ian, what a PITA ! I would never have ordered from them if I'd known they were Marine MegaWankers !

Oh dear, anyone know what the best thing to do next might be ?

Thanks,

Boo2

Dipper
15-04-13, 13:24
Oh dear, anyone know what the best thing to do next might be ?

Thanks,

Boo2

If you paid by credit card they are equally liable. I saw on a fishing forum that someone wanted to return goods that Marine Megastore had sent a month after he had cancelled the order and they insisted he pay return postage. He got a full refund including the return postage off the credit card company.

Plevier
15-04-13, 17:10
Marine Megastore has a different reg address - in Southampton - and is not visibly under the same ownership or part of the same group but it has the same two Directors James Bell and Melissa Moreau plus an extra one, Richard Pattinson. I have a feeling Pattinson lives in the NE in the area where Medline is registered but I can't remember where I got that info.
Pattinson owns 97 shares in MM, Bell 25 and Moreau 3.
Bell owns 20 shares in Medline and Moreau 80.
Medline was incorporated in Sep 2010 but did not trade in year ending Sep 2011 and is dormant. How that matches legally with the Waveline and Direct Chandlery websites which both say "Medline trading as xxx" is an interesting question.
At a guess they turn orders over to MM.
MM was incorporated in 2005.
One might think it looks like a way of minimising potential liabilities.
Two more to remember to avoid!

charles_reed
15-04-13, 19:48
To add to Troubadour's excellent research:-

Lofrans have been bought by LalizasSA, HO in Piraeus. I understand they've bought designs and goodwill; spares and parts have been sold where they can.

I can honestly say that any Lalizas product I have bought has been consistently disappointing in performance, the only good thing I can say is their prices are amongst the lowest.
I have, on occasion, tried to get things from Lalizas in Greece. Probably fortunately, they've never bothered to reply to e-mails or phone calls. I finally sourced the spares I needed direct from the manufacturer in the Netherlands.

I think Boo2 is lucky, he has got something. IMHO his only recourse is to his credit-card company, providing he bought through a credit card and the trading company is still doing just that - trading.

Steve Clayton
23-06-13, 11:35
Paid by CC and over 100? Google "section 75"

longjohnsilver
23-06-13, 11:40
Avoid them like the plague, see my posts in thread below

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?363587-Another-online-chandlery-firm-to-avoid

My credit card company tells me I can only open a dispute re non delivery of goods once 30 days have passed from the payment/order date. The clock is ticking. I have emailed Chandlery direct giving them till the end of the coming week before contacting Trading Standards.

FishyInverness
11-10-13, 10:19
Just to keep the awareness up, now also trading as "Force Chandlery" :rolleyes:

FishyInverness
08-11-13, 16:34
And "Nautical-Gifts" My, my, they have been busy diversifying...

Anyone else starting to notice a trend?

Dipper
08-11-13, 16:47
And Nautical Bookstore.

FishyInverness
08-11-13, 16:54
And Nautical Bookstore.

Oh dear, well, at least they didn't call it "Bookport" and departed from their usual assimilation technique....

rupeski
16-08-16, 14:02
Just had a very poor experience dealing with this guy. I wish I had read this forum post first. Direct Chandlery is not a proper outlet, it seems like it is just one guy operating out of his bedroom. Very poor communication, no stock, no level of service. I waited ages for a delivery that never came and had to cancel after several prompts. I would advise anyone to avoid buying from direct-chandlery.com

Gariba
04-01-17, 21:26
Made an order online with Direct Chandlery on the 13th December 2016. Three and a half weeks later my order has still not been dispatched to my UK address. No response from Direct Chandlery. Do not use this company. They are a cowboy outfit! An absolute disgrace!

Baddox
05-01-17, 21:24
They also seem to be trading as
Oceans 7 Marine Ltd and
Oceans Seven Group Ltd
Both registered at Oceans House Stanners Complex, Coopies Way Coopies Lane, Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61 6JT
And they're selling houses too http://www.endole.co.uk/profile/profile_new.php?id=10448643

NOT to be confused with the long established good guys in the same area, P.A. Lynch Limited "an active company incorporated on 22 November 1962 "

Baddox
05-01-17, 22:00
The same website and ‘phone number show up for “marine-chandlery.com” too which is remarkably similar to another “good-guy, genuine, reputable, local shop with the web domain http://www.marinechandlery.com/

Other websites that lead back to the Marine Megastore / Medline marine business, include
wavelineleisure.com
seaquipmarine.com
vetusmarineshop.co.uk
nautical-gifts.co.uk
talamexleisure.com
forcechandlery.com

Haggis_08
16-01-17, 10:14
We purchased over 400 of goods from Marine-chandlery.com (which is another of this groups trading names) on 15th December 2016 and still not received anything. No answer on the telephone, live chat and do not respond to emails. Does anyone know where i go with this?

Gladys
16-01-17, 11:20
We purchased over 400 of goods from Marine-chandlery.com (which is another of this groups trading names) on 15th December 2016 and still not received anything. No answer on the telephone, live chat and do not respond to emails. Does anyone know where i go with this?

On-line Small Claims process? (moneyclaim.gov.uk)

Scala
02-02-17, 13:17
Just to add to this, my experience is also very poor. The trading supplier was Waveline in my case. Ended up with the credit card company intervening and I got my money back (but no goods).

Wise after the event but I wish I'd checked this out first; I won't be using them again.

Plum43
02-02-17, 14:59
Us too! We found them trading as Vetus Marine Shop (nothing whatsoever to do with the totally legitimate Vetus-Shop and others) but with wavelineleisure@gmail.com as their email address. We also had to get the bank to intervene having received no goods and no contact from them.

reginaldon
02-02-17, 17:04
A lot to be said for your local established chandler - mine goes back to 1860.

rtboss1
04-02-17, 11:38
Anyone deal with these
Espar Ltd / Boat Showrooms of Harleyford
Harleyford Marina
Marlow
Bucks

They say they dispatch a rib with TNT . and have a receipt to say it's collected.
TNT say they have no record of this collection. Though I have little faith in them as they asked if Wales was in UK.

Dipper
17-06-18, 19:30
It finally looks like Marine Megastore and all its offspring (which were many) have finally succumbed to relentless bad reviews and gone. I can't get any of their web sites to load. I'm surprised they lasted so long.

Champagne Murphy
17-06-18, 19:42
It finally looks like Marine Megastore and all its offspring (which were many) have finally succumbed to relentless bad reviews and gone. I can't get any of their web sites to load. I'm surprised they lasted so long.

Good riddance

Graham_Wright
18-06-18, 08:12
I have used Resolver in a similar situation with good effect.

dancrane
18-06-18, 11:28
Good riddance

Echo that.

It would (at first glance) seem to be a fine thing, if this forum could keep a 'sticky' thread, detailing good and bad reviews of chandleries.

We hear instances of poor service from the best suppliers, and occasional claims of satisfaction about widely-distrusted ones...

...couldn't the collective input of readers and contributors here, be drawn up as an accessible table of service-reliability records?

AndyL
19-06-18, 12:40
The UK distributor for Lofrans is AR Peachment.

pcatterall
20-06-18, 13:34
[QUOTE=Graham_Wright;6460814]I have used Resolver in a similar situation with good effect.[/QUOTE
An automatic has more rounds

Dipper
02-08-18, 09:24
Good riddance

Oh dear. They are back!

Graham_Wright
02-08-18, 09:59
[QUOTE=Graham_Wright;6460814]I have used Resolver in a similar situation with good effect.[/QUOTE
An automatic has more rounds

Resolver worked for me (although where they receive their funds from I don't know).

You can also report to "Action Fraud" although they seem to be a bit toothless.

Jungle Jim
02-08-18, 21:57
Oh dear. They are back!

The good news is if you Google them, they are the top hit but this thread is right underneath them :D

ronsurf
03-08-18, 13:06
Really cheap tactic to use a name similar to a well established chandler but without the hyphen. Hopefully this thread undermines any attempt for them to trade