PDA

View Full Version : MBM - Getting it right

Gludy
17-06-04, 15:18
I have reckoned by some simple logic that as I agree with MBM's approach to Red diesel, there is no reason why I should ban myself from this MBM forum!!! Or could it be that I just cannot resist putting my oar in :-).

In general the case for adopting a belly up approach as advocated by 'Other Boating Mags' is looking more and more stupid. There is clearly so much to play for and no reason whatsoever to just accept what Brussels hands down.

The European elections show that not just this country but maost countries seem to wish to resists Brussels dictating to us - more importantly the UK politicians are being forced to take a more critical role of the EU and its harmonisation plans.

There is a general election before deregulation and a lot to play for with politicians attempting to appease their electorate.

There is also a reforendum that the government has little chance of winning.

The conservative and the Labour MEP statements in MBM current issue are at least making noises in the right direction.

I think our best plan is to continue to demonstrate the problems outlined in the charter, I am not at all sure the red campaign will get public backing - our best hope has to be making it clear that any signifciant change will just result in a great many complexities and problems for what? For the chance to raise even less tax!

The saddest thing of all about the planned 'harmonisation; is that it will not achieve any real benefits, or even mor revenue for the governement - it will just ruin a significant part of the motor boating scene.

So full marks to MBM and Hugo. Thank goodness someone is fully in tune with the motor boating scene and has the backbone to accept the responsibility and duties they have as an editor of a leading boating magazine.

<hr width=100% size=1>Paul

MedDreamer
17-06-04, 16:57
Hi Paul

Glad you are back.

According to Newsnight last night, Gordon Brown stated that he would oppose tax harmonisation across the EU. Well heres his chance to take a stand then and prove it to us.

Yeh I bet......

Martyn

<hr width=100% size=1>Living the dream

Gludy
17-06-04, 18:19
I bet as well .... he will like the idea of hitting the well off a bit - I just hope the practical problems and probable tax revenue decrease will get in the way.

I have emailed and faxed my MP who is a Lib Dem and who I have known for years - still no response.

It is going to be popular to at least pretend to show the the EU is not the boss - we can play on that.

The political climate and direction of the political wind is shifting in our direction but I really do not think we will get general public support as the isssues are not as simple as they first appear.

One thing is for certain - the game is not over and we have all to play for.

EME
21-06-04, 15:32
Oh come on , Paul !!

As if Roger will have any clout on such an issue given the large number of diesel-powered boats in Powys !!!!!!

Admire your position and drive on the issue, nevertheless still believe that the MBM charter is fatally-flawed in that pragmatism in 'negotiating' with the Westminster Wallies will be used as an excuse to make examples of the 'super-rich' on this issue and any other cheap hits that the b-liarites can pull together !

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue>I am WHAT I say I am</font color=blue>

Gludy
21-06-04, 16:55
"As if Roger will have any clout on such an issue given the large number of diesel-powered boats in Powys !!!!!! "

When MP is faxed and emailed on any subject with sensible questions seeking clarification of his and his party's position - I expect an answer - lots of farmers in Powys using Red diesel - maybe one day ot will be their turn :-)

"still believe that the MBM charter is fatally-flawed in that pragmatism in 'negotiating' with the Westminster Wallies will be used as an excuse to make examples of the 'super-rich' on this issue and any other cheap hits that the b-liarites can pull together ! "

How is it fatally flawed? Be specific.

It is not at all pragmatic to start a negotiation by conceding/appeasing on the issues.

The only hope is that it is just too difficult and messy to implement as per many points in the MBM charter.

Now, I have a limited IQ and need things spelling out :-) So please tell me how the charter approach is not pragmatic and how the MBY approach which concedes all from the outset, in effect basing the argument on the affordability issue is somehow pragmatic. ... maybe... just maybe .. the MBY approach will be to makes staments to the governement that damage the interests of their readers ... then hide away from all discussions.. then whilst avoiding answering any questions pop up at the last moment to flame the government ... is that what you mean by pragmatic? :-)

It seems that the government has established a red line on taxation hence an approach based on allowing the EU to set it may be fatally flawed.

There is a lot to play for .. the EU tide is in our favour ... the only ones that may be swimming against that tide are appeasers but then they do not have boats and so have to swim ...don't they? ... ouch! :-)

Paul

EME
21-06-04, 22:21
As usual you demand ...fairly.. fuller answers than a late night session can provide.

I do not expect to 'convince' you ... but I will argue strongly ( apart from the last sentence which could have been written by a conservative politician ,,i.e. way off the mark!)

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue>I am WHAT I say I am</font color=blue>

Gludy
21-06-04, 22:37
Nope - I just demand answers of any sort as opposed to mist :-)

Yep - I agree, I got a bit carried away with that last sentence! :-)