PDA

View Full Version : Pennant No 1 and Single Handers

theotter
21-01-15, 16:51
Are forumites aware of the practice of flying Pennant Numeral 1 from the back stay if you are sailing single handed? I had been lead to believe this is common in the Baltic but when I mentioned it to a Baltic based German single hander he was completely unaware of it! I saw several in Scotland last year and most were not Brits. Having sailed most of last year single handed I can see the merits, especially trying to get alongside in difficult conditions. Generally, fellow yachtsmen are very good about helping each other but perhaps the No #1 would give extra meaning and extra awareness, even at sea. The cynic in me would suggest they are rushing to save their own boat but I have a greater faith in my fellow sailors!

awol
21-01-15, 17:07
Round the Clyde I would assume they were IRC Class 1 and most unlikely to be single-handed.

Georgio
21-01-15, 17:32
Round the Clyde I would assume they were IRC Class 1 and most unlikely to be single-handed.

Yes, me also.

never been aware of an unofficial "sailing singlehanded" flag.

bbg
21-01-15, 17:42

I have always associated that pennant with a (fully crewed) racing class as well - which class depends on where you are racing.

prv
21-01-15, 18:03
Afraid I wouldn't recognise a "pendant number one" without looking it up. But like others, I associate backstay pendants with racing boats. If I saw it on an obviously cruising boat, I'd probably assume it was merely some kind of decoration or esoteric house flag type thing.

Pete

Concerto
21-01-15, 18:03
I use the number 1 pennant occassionally when I am in a club race (only one class) and I usually race singlehanded. Always known it to be a racing class 1 flag. Never heard it for singlehanded.

theotter
22-01-15, 08:59
No the boats in question were definitely single handed and not racing. I have seen it in other parts as well so there are those who give it credence but obviously not among the forumites. Must be because it's unofficial!

westhinder
22-01-15, 09:47
The only moment I can be of help to a singlehander is when they are coming into a berth. The fact that they are alone on deck is obvious enough. I am not going to look for any special flag indicating that they are alone.
When out on the water what would be the point of a solo-flag? Solo sailors do not have any special rights under colregs, do they? And when I am so close to a boat that a small pennant would become obvious, I am looking at what they actually do and how to avoid a problem developing, not looking for a special flag and what that may mean.
I often sail singlehanded, I do appreciate any assistance when berthing, but I see no need for a special solo-flag

tony_lavelle
22-01-15, 10:22
Like Concerto, I often sail single-handed on the Medway and when racing fly a No 1 pennant (tapered flag wih red circular blob on white backfground) as required by my club's sailing instructions. The other Medway clubs also use No 1 pennants for racing so sometimes it's hard to tell which race they are in, but that doesn't really matter. You are not supposed to fly a club burgee when racing, but I think that's stupid so I do. Anyway you can tell if a boat is racing because there will be no ensign.

As others have said, I have never heard of the pennant indicating a solo crew. Must be a Baltic thing but I can't think of any circumstance when that would be useful.

awol
22-01-15, 10:42
Solo sailors do not have any special rights under colregs, do they?

Only when they are racing:)

JumbleDuck
22-01-15, 10:48
I've never heard of a single handed pennant, but it seems like quite a good idea, particularly in harbours, moorings and anchorages. Without some sort of general or official sanction I can't see it catching on, though.

Keen_Ed
22-01-15, 10:56
Have heard of it, but it was in the Baltic - in Denmark.

Viking
22-01-15, 12:06
As I believe there is no 'official' Single-handed flag or signal flag denoting a single-handed sailor+boat! I would add that if a No1 flag flown, sorry worn, from the back stay. I would suggest the ensign also being worn would denote it not racing. But if a flag where classed as single-handed it could be worn from the signal-yard!

savageseadog
22-01-15, 12:32
Is it being argued that a boat commanded by a single hander should be given more consideration because it isn't as in control as it should be?

lw395
22-01-15, 12:35
When I first saw the No1 on the backstay of yachts, I assumed they were all displaced Fireball sailors.

Maybe singlehanders could be like sailing schools, big logo on the hull so we can avoid them?

Class flag and ensign would indicate you've retired from a race.

JumbleDuck
22-01-15, 12:58
Anyway you can tell if a boat is racing because there will be no ensign.

Golly. I keep racing by mistake, then.