PDA

View Full Version : Taylors 079D cabin heater

mireland
20-08-04, 20:36
I have no instructions for the cabin heater in my new to me boat. Does anyone know how to light it. It is a drip feed diesel model.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pragmatist
20-08-04, 20:50
Sadly no practical advice. However if Taylors are like Dickinson then count to 500 while 2 tablespoons of diesel arrive, pray to Mecca and swear a lot. Once it's going it's brilliant but does require serious religious attendance first !

<hr width=100% size=1>a pragmatist is an optimist with a boat in the UK

mireland
20-08-04, 22:45
Thanks for the advice. I am up for nursing it but just don't know what to do! Does it need preheating and if so how? Where do you stick the match. Excuse total ignorance but I have become an expert in ignorance very rapidly since buying the boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

greatspirit
21-08-04, 07:47
Preheat using methylated spirit (about an expresso cup full or less) I use an oil can to squirt it in the hole in the combustion chamber otherwise a plastic bottle with a tube or run the meths in along a bit of wire. Light the meths with a taper (or push a lighted match into the hole) it will fire up quicker if you delay replacing the bolt in the combustion chamber. Once the meths is going feed in a little diesel...requires constant attention until going then adjust the drip rate say one/sec to start.
I use central heating oil rather than diesel but it runs and starts even better on paraffin. the heater can "run away" if overfuelled so do not leave the boat with the heater running and do not run it when asleep.
Regards
Tim

<hr width=100% size=1>

bluevelvet
21-08-04, 08:29
Hi my taylors heaters only requires some fuel to let into the base of the combustion chamber and then lit by placing a match into the chamber thro the little hole covered by a small flap,once the fuel has warmed the heater I then adjust the output by the thumbscrew to increase the drip rate.I have used a parafin taylors before and I was surprised how easy the diesel version was to use considering some of the bad press that they get.Regards John

<hr width=100% size=1>

mireland
21-08-04, 08:57
Thanks very much to everyone for your good advice. The running awat bit sounds a little scary!

Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

BMD
26-10-04, 23:05
Interested in learning more about the Taylors 079D. We have a larger boat with a Dickinson Newport diesel heater, easy to light, with electric pump at 4 PSI, turn on fuel valve to full, takes about 5 minutes to put 2 tablespoons of diesel in bottom of combustion chamber, turn off fuel, light with little piece of paper towel and close door. When the fire starts to die down, turn the valve up to 1, adjust gratually up to desired temp, piece of cake by Yank standards.

We run our Dickinson 24 x 7 in the cold season, never fear of problems, clean out combustion chamber every two months, scrape out carbon and vacuum out, clean out bottom clean out plug (fuel inlet), good for 2 more months.

Interested in finding another diesel heater to replace our Force 10 Cozy Cabin heater, burners are no longer available, Patria maker of burner out of business for 3rd and final time. Interested in learning about Taylors 079D, good or bad information is ok.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Steve_N
27-10-04, 07:22
If you want to keep your Force 10 Cozy going, then I believe it uses the same burner as in the Taylors 079K heater i.e. the kerosene-only version of the 079 heater - it is a pressure burner as opposed to a drip-feed, right? This burner can burn kerosene, or diesel, or both depending on the jet fitted. and runs off a pressurized tank.

If so, this burner (which is common to Taylors, Shipmate, Mariner, Optimus, Patria etc..) is available from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.base-camp.co.uk/burners.htm>Base Camp</A>: it's the 207 burner.

The Base Camp guy is very helpful and knowledgeable and will be able to confirm this.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Plum
27-10-04, 09:31
Mike, have you solved your peoblem now? I have just fitted one of these to my boat and so have up to date experience if you still need to discuss.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevethan
27-10-04, 10:01
I use meths to light my Dickinson Newport. LEt a bit of fiuel in to the bottom, toss in a cap of meths then use a long nosed lighter to set it on fire. I tend to leave the door open until the blue meths flame turn yellow, close the door, open the valve again and turn on teh fan. it burining away within 5 mins.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BMD
28-10-04, 16:39
Gathering infomation on Taylors 079D. If you have one on your boat, I'm interested in any information or opinions you may have regarding installation, maintenance, durability. If you own or use this heater, would you buy this product again for your next boat and if so why, if not please explain. Any constructive coments in working with Taylors regarding product support are welcome. We are considering the 079D as a potential heater for one of our boats as well as a product to sell in US.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Plum
29-10-04, 09:54
Hello. I did a lot of research on cabin heaters, which included interviews with existing owners, before I decided on a Taylors 079D. Once I had eliminated the various microprocessor controlled blown air diesel heaters (eg Eberspacher) due to complexity and electrical load, there were very few choices for a small boat. The Taylors 079D, providing care is taken with the installation, was highly recommended by other owners and is such a basic and simple design that there is little that can go wrong. My preference was for the drip feed system of the Taylors over the float-chamber control on some other types which can spill fuel in a sea-way and I like the "back to basics" philosophy of the design. I discovered from the other owners that the installation instructions provided by Taylors can be compromised, without affecting performance, in order to cope with the limitations faced when installing in a small boat. I was lucky in finding a second hand one that was about 13 years old and did the installation myself. I needed to order some parts for the installation, which I got through a Taylors' agent in the UK (Mailspeed Marine) with no problems. Taylors themselves would rather you, as a customer, deal through their agents which I do not like when you have basic questions about installation that may influence your purchase of goods. Taylors would not even send me a copy of the installation and usage instructions and said I would have to purchase them from the agant. Mailspeed Marine, who understand customer care, faxed me a copy for free. (If you come across an electronic version I would appreciate a copy, please). Having now used my heater a few times I can report that I have had no problems with lighting it and it works very well despite its age.

<hr width=100% size=1>

lenseman
05-09-10, 19:14
I appreciate that this thread is nearly 6 years old but I am specifically looking for advice regarding the pumped Taylors 079D heater fitted to my yacht.

I have lit this heater for the first time today and the complete inner fire chamber soon was glowing a very bight cherry red! :eek:

As I have never used this fire before and having no one with first hand experience of this heater, I was wondering if this amount of glowing is correct?

I slowly turned down the supply control knob but the heater took about 3 or 4 minutes to respond but in the end, having turned the supply to off, the heater slowly died - firstly bright cherry red then slowly dull read and finally it went out!

It was a worrying time as it is positioned in the companionway to the master and forepeak berths.

It certainly threw out some heat and it would be difficult to pass in the companionway whilst it is running or hot.

Below, I have included the installation instructions with diagrams and the parts which glowed bright cherry red are numbered 23 and 29 which are inside the cage numbered 31. See page 5 of 22:

http://www.youngsunowners.org/pdf/079D%20Instructions.pdf

If left running, possibly the chimney and cage would have started to glow cherry red also! :eek:

Is this normal or is it a rogue heater? Who ever installed this heater
didn't place any heat resistant asbestos type backing behind the heater where it mounts on the wooden bulkhead!!

Blueboatman
06-09-10, 18:26
Hi David,

At around 60 drips per minute-if I remember correctly from last winter-the heater should be burning very gently, and at around 90 the lower one third of the inner cylinder should be a dull faint red, the visible inner flame should be bluish as well as yellow, and all should be tickety boo.
The problem seems to be ( to me) that if it gets hot, the diesel drip rate actually increases, thus it gets really hot-as you described! The makers claim that the later micro adjuster for the drip rate is of improved design, and should have a brass arrow which acts as a 'stop', to prevent overopening the valve beyond the optimum drip rate. You can play around and then move the 'stop' to the position that coincides with gentle 1/3rd glowing over the lowest parts,etc.
I cannot help but think that the microdrip assembly would be better fitted remotely from the casing of the heater by a gap of say at least 150mm.
It has been suggested also that a drip tray be fitted beneath the stove to catch any overflowleaks when in use healed over at sea.
When installing mine I ensured a 20mm air gap between the 4 fixing holes and the bulkhead behind. And a really tall chimney with an angled top to maintain a good 'draw' on the flue.
Notwithstanding the above, I am absolutely delighted with the kit and its performance. When you are next over this way, give me a call and come have an inspection of it working?

lenseman
08-09-10, 22:22
Thanks for that Tim

As you can probably see from my other posts, I require a new SU Pump before I can get the heater working again.

I was feeding it neat meths and it was only the amount of meths which caused the heater to glow bright cherry red - the heater was totally uncontrolable but I thought it was too much diesel until I found the pump and that it was totally mullered. . . Ho-hum. :confused:

It would be a bit expensive to run it on meths alone so I am going for a new SU pump. :D

StephenW
22-09-10, 19:10
Plum
have pm'd you re something else