PDA

View Full Version : caulking irons, oakum, candlewick, bitumen wanted

meekumslr
18-08-05, 16:18
I'm looking to do some repairs on my Larch on Oak hull and decks and am looking to buy any caulking tools if you have them for sale.
Many thanks, Neil.

dickh
19-08-05, 10:31
You can often get them on eBay, a complete set at the moment, see :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/traditional-shipwr...1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/traditional-shipwrights-caulking-tools-11-item-set_W0QQitemZ7343751863QQcategoryZ66638QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem)

No idea what they will eventually fetch but may be worth putting a bid. If you are new to eBay, there is usually frantic bidding in the last few seconds!

meekumslr
19-08-05, 11:55
Thank you very much.
I'll be bidding on those.

gerry2
09-05-10, 00:14
neil, ref your request for caulking irons. I have a full set of 12 irons and 3 double mallets for sale.
they are of solid steel and british made by WARD OF SHEFFIELD they are not reproductions, they are originals. they are reputed to have belonged to Jack Rolf who did work at some stage on the CUTTY SARK.
these have not yet been advertised, and i would rather they went to someone who would use them, rather than someone who just thinks they need to heve them .
If you have any interest reply in this forum initially.
regards ... gerry.

monkey_trousers
10-05-10, 10:42
neil, ref your request for caulking irons. I have a full set of 12 irons and 3 double mallets for sale.
they are of solid steel and british made by WARD OF SHEFFIELD they are not reproductions, they are originals. they are reputed to have belonged to Jack Rolf who did work at some stage on the CUTTY SARK.
these have not yet been advertised, and i would rather they went to someone who would use them, rather than someone who just thinks they need to heve them .
If you have any interest reply in this forum initially.
regards ... gerry.

if Neil doesn't, then I will!

could do with more irons and a proper mallet

I have a couple of very old irons, and my great great granddads adze, which has done sterling work on chipping the deck beams to shape.

For what its worth, I recently discovered on of the ships he built is still around, well when I say still around - "The Vicar of Bray', down in the falkland islands where it was 'hulked' 100 years ago, but still pretty intact due to the bug killing climate down there