PDA

View Full Version : Fore-reaching

Luanda
05-02-06, 09:41
I can remember reading in PBO or YM about fore-reaching, as an alternative to heaving to. The jib should be sheeted mid-ships, with a roller genoa rolled in so that it almost touches the mast. The mains position I can't remember, possibly slightly to weather. Does anyone have experience of this? How useful is it?

snowleopard
05-02-06, 11:48
Often in accounts of storm tactics you will come across the expression e.g. "while hove to we fore-reached at 1-2 knots...". What is generally meant is that while hove to, the boat sails forward at slow speed. In fact that's essential when hove to or there will be no water flow over the rudder and you'll just end up lying ahull.

Twisterowner
05-02-06, 13:41
Did this once during an ARC whilst standing by a yacht that had lost its rudder and was having a new one made on board JST's Tenacious.

We wanted to have just enough speed to steer but not so much as to get too far away. Reduced the jib size and tightened both jib sheets so the jib was amidships and partly reefed the main.
The boat {an Oyster} was in effect hove-to and sailed at about 1-1/2 knots. We sailed up and down a line to windward of tenacious for more than a day and just put the wheel over and tacked when required without needing to touch a sheet.

I've used this method on a Twister since then and it's very effective. As soon as you want to get going again simply release the weather sheet. If you want to tack but are going too slow just wear round.

Luanda
06-02-06, 21:28
Thanks, sounds useful. What was the position of the tiller?

Twisterowner
07-02-06, 17:32
Slightly to leeward, so as to keep the boat from bearing away but it depends on hull shape, sail area, wind strength. The boat is not really hove-to in the usual meaning of the word because the jib is not quite aback, what you are doing is deliberately sailing very inefficiently just to slow the boat down.