PDA

View Full Version : Winter hard standing in Portugal or Spain

chockswahay
10-07-06, 17:11
We are currently cruising in the Spanish Rias (very nice too!) and although we were intending to continue cruising during winter we will now have to return to UK due to a few domestic commitments (!).

Does anyone have any advice on safe and suitable places where we can have the boat lifted out and stored from say October to April next year?

Boat is 13 m x 4 m x 15 tonnes

I was thinking perhaps Portimao or maybe SW Spain.

Any advice would be mush appreciated

Cheers

Chox

Steve Clayton
10-07-06, 18:18
Almerimar comes highly recommended - I'm sure someone there will provide additional information

iona
10-07-06, 18:40
We have been lifted out at both Portimao and Lagos. Ask for a quote from each and make sure they know you are considering both as they will give you abetter price. Lagos is nicer than the yard at Portimao but if you are not going to be there it doesn't matter! The yard in Lagos is Sopropmar, run by Hugo who speaks good English. Work is pretty good but not always perfect in the engineering department. Portimao can be sorted through the marina or Bluewater Algarve a company run by an English guy called Paul Mallett. Not everyone likes them but we found them fine and efficient.

The cheapest place on the Algarve is the boatyard at Faro. Reports are that the facilities ashore are basic, but otherwise it is fine. Hope this helps.

Gerry
10-07-06, 18:54
Have been lifted out at Vilamoura twice. Excellent service , safe yard, good woodwork, antifoul and epoxy available. On the expensive side but very convenient for faro airport.

iona
10-07-06, 19:06
Chox
Have you been into Bayona yet? Just wanted the details of the new(ish) marina there? Do you know if it is any cheaper than the Yacht Club? Thanks and enjoy the cruising up there, its our favourite spot and we hope to be there again next year.

Richard10002
10-07-06, 23:23
[ QUOTE ]
Chox
Have you been into Bayona yet? Just wanted the details of the new(ish) marina there? Do you know if it is any cheaper than the Yacht Club? Thanks and enjoy the cruising up there, its our favourite spot and we hope to be there again next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

More expensive when I was there in 2003.

fiveflipflops
12-07-06, 15:18
Hi, I agree with Iona in regards to Algrave we have hauled out in lagos and Almerimar. We have found Almerimar is cheaper than the Algarve. You can do your own work in Algarve but not in Almerimar. If however you leave the boat on hardstanding for more than 2 months Almerimar works out cheaper. Lagos is a nicer town, Faro airport close by via cheap train. Almerimar closest airport is Almeria, local taxi from pontoons €35. Which airport would service your uk destination. Both have good local yacht services, almerimar is cheaper, lagos nicer. Hope this help.

David anad Emma Five Flip Flops

chockswahay
24-07-06, 09:51
Thank everyone,

As for Bayona not got there yet having too much fun in other Rias but will let you know when I get there.

Cheers Chox

Pedro
28-07-06, 20:52
Try Povoa de Vazim.

jeanne
31-07-06, 21:22
Bruces Yard at Faro - not smart, but OK to liveaboard, DIY etc and very close to Faro airport and cheap flights and centre of town. About 100 euros to lift and 10 euros per metre per month on hard standing. And, you donīt have to pay ītil you leave....

chockswahay
18-08-06, 09:44
Thanks Jeanne, I will give them a call

Iona, sorry but did not stay im marina.....no need to....loads of free anchor space!

Chox