PDA

View Full Version : halyard shaft seal

dodsworth
01-09-06, 16:31
I recently lifted my contessa 32 ashore and noticed a white emulsified oil coming from the stern tube (outside the boat). The shaft is fitted with a halyard shaft seal which appears ok from a visual inspection and has not used any oil during the season. I assume that this emulsified oil can only be coming from the shaft seal. Does this problem mean that the shaft seal needs replacing (an awkward job) or is such a discharge normal when first lifting a boat out? If it does need replacing any suggestions for a replacement?

pete
01-09-06, 20:14
Hi
If it is like my Halyard seal there is a small Reservoir (probably less than 1/4 pint) of ATF in it, fitted above the water line feeding the seal.
The seal never uses any but at the end of every season I open the vent screw on the seal and a little emulsified oil comes out, I wait until it comes out clear, tighten the screw and top up.
Check out this recent post http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php?C...rue#Post1147329 (http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=pbo&Number=1147329&Searchp age=1&Main=1147246&Words=halyard&topic=&Search=tru e#Post1147329)

Pete

dodsworth
01-09-06, 21:05
Thank you for your reply. Your seal seems to be the same as mine but I cannot locate a vent screw on the unit. Where is yours located? regards Ian

pete
01-09-06, 22:46
Hi Ian

The screw on mine is on top of the seal opposite the feed pipe which goes into the bottom of the seal . It is a slot headed grub screw . The whole seal can be turned by loosening of the allen screws (as I remember) and by having the screw at the top any air can be vented out of the system.
The seal was on my boat when I bought it nearly 7 years ago and up to now has not let in a drop of water.

Pete

Pye_End
01-09-06, 22:59
Are you sure it is ATF? My manual is on the boat, but I thought it was enigine oil.

I don't get any emulsified oil coming out of my stern tube. If you did I would expect the level in the resevoir to drop.

Not sure what you mean about a vent screw. The grub screw you describe - do you mean the ones that hold the first 'seal' in place on the shaft - this has to be kept in the right place else the whole thing leaks (probably under load when the shaft moves forward).

Will look at mine again with new eyes.

pete
02-09-06, 11:48
Hi Pye_End
The previous owner told me this is a Halyard marine stern seal. I have just found the only instructions and I was given with the seal. Although the instalation sheet does not mention Halyard it does mention Sealmaster SM5 and the folowing is quoted from them.

TO FILL WITH OIL - (Sealmaster is supplied pre charged with ATF oil)
Connect rubber hose to reservoir. Fill reservoir with ATF (automatic transmission fluid) to drain through to free end. Secure free end to to sealmaster with hose clip provided.

GENERAL NOTES- The Sealmaster is oil filled and does not require seawater for cooling
-
-
-
Your seal should last a very long time with no maintenance except just checking the oil level and security of the hose clip ect at regular intervals. There is a drain plug fitted in the bottom. (mine is in the top I use it as a vent)
To refill the seal simply turn upside down,remove the drain plug and the oil will fill from the bottom without trapping any air. Refit the drain plug with silicone sealer

Hope this helps
I can Email you a copy if you wish.

PS My seal has never leak any oil.

Pete

Pye_End
02-09-06, 13:19
Do you know what age it is? Maybe it was the pre-runner to the one I have? I am sure somebody out there knows.

Mine is about 8 years old as far as I remember. Definately Halyard (and has Halyard bold on the manual), but does not sound as if it is exactly the same seal as yours. Pretty sure the manual says engine oil, although it may be more general. I'll check sometime this week. Also mine does not have any holes other then the oil 'to and from' spigots. I wonder which one Cadenza has.

pvb
02-09-06, 14:05
The Halyard seal uses ordinary engine oil and doesn't have a vent.

pete
02-09-06, 17:37
Hi Pie_End
Here is (hopefully) a link to it my instructions, as I would like to know who makes it if it is not Halyard marine

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=78307359

Pete

Pye_End
03-09-06, 09:10
I am afraid I can't seem to view your picture. Not sure why. Perhaps I need to be able to log in myself.

Can you give me an approximate age of the unit?

Not aware of any other manufacturers, but have a theory....!

pete
03-09-06, 09:54
Hi Pye_End
I have sent you a Email of the instructions.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5096/untitled3uf7.jpg

Hope this helps

Pete

Oldhand
03-09-06, 11:23
Mine had 2 tubes going to the reservoir, one went to the bottom of the reservoir (oil supply line) and the other to the filler cap (top) of the reservoir, the vent line. Without the latter you couldn't get oil into the seal because air couldn't escape...