Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mariner 90 4 stroke

Hi all, I own a 17ft Dory cathedral hull with cuddy cabin. The outboard that came with the boat was an old yamaha 40 2 stroke has now expired.
    I am seriously looking at a 2002 Mariner 90 4 stroke with low hours as a replacement engine.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is a good or bad idea?
    Not being a seaman as yet its a tough call as i simply do not know.

Its a cracking Mariner and would easily be more power than I would ever need. I will use the boat off the Scottish east coast where the tides run at 6 knots and the weather changes very quickly, this points me towards the bigger, more reliable engines even though they cost a lot.

Any constructive input would be gratefully recieved.

Regards Alan in Arbroath

Kawasaki is offline Registered User

Default Re: Mariner 90 4 stroke

Hello and welcome. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    What make is the Dory and how old?
    90 is on the limit in my opinion.
    90 hp 4 stroke is a heavy lump.
    Fitted a 65 hp Suzuki 3 cylinder 2 stroke to a very similar sounding hull some years ago.
    3 small bun scoffers me and SWHBO aboard and that was enough engine.
    I think 70hp is enough but depends on the hull and what use your going to put the boat to.
    IE if your going to carry 5 divers and all that goes with them and youve got an old Dell Quay thats a bit saturated maybe you,l need all that hp but I don,t think [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] so.
    A bit more info required about your boat and the advice will flood in! Cheers. K [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hi there, I am not sure about how old the boat is sadly, its GRP, has a front cabin long enough to lie down in, decent deck area for fishing etc.... I wish I had a picture.
    The engine seller tells me the engine weighs 1000 kilos.
    I do not envisage fully clad divers, rather SWMBO and kids with fishing gear etc.
    The other thing is Arbroaths location... there are some nice wee places to visit up the coast, east haven, Monifieth, Broughty Ferry, Dundee and of course acrross the Tay we have St Andrews, Tayport, Newport and all the way up the Tay to Perth. We also have the Bell Rock just off the coast.

So my thinking is to be able to get somewhere in a resonable time, I hope I dont sound like a boy racer as I am not. It is just that the larger engine would make trips and days out easier to do.

I agree its a massive motor, i went to see it again today with SWMBO and she nearly fainted. Another thing is that since buying the boat in July, I have had nothing but grief from the old engine. its been off and on the boat and over to the repair shop lots of times, even once the whole boat went over on a trailer. I have used sooooo much time, money and energy on that outboard, I never want a repeat performance. It almost put me off boating. the yamaha 40 was heavy enough to move and fit when the boat was in the water.

I just want to get on the boat, start her up and go somewhere without worrying about a dodgy motor.
    The Mariner I am looking at was made in 2002, fitted 2003 and has 150 verifyable hours on it. The seller will also warranty it as he sold it new and serviced it and of course knows the engine well. They are going to fit the outboard in their shop and adjust everything as well, which is a big bonus.

So I suppose the Mariner represents peace of mind and has enough poke to get us all home under most circumstances, its good on petrol too they tell me.

Thanks for your input

Alan

PS The seller is coming to Arbroath tomorrow to have a look at my boat to see if the boat will take such a large outboard, so it will be interesting to hear what he says.

After a bit of searching it looks very like a Wilson Flyer type boat.

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img],
    I had a Dell Quay 17 for quite a few years which had a Yamaha 70 on it.That was adequate for four adults to plane at around 20 knots and just enough with two on board to pull a skier up on a mono.It couldn't pull up two skiers and didn't have the added weight of a cuddy though.
    I agree with Kawasaki that the 90 you are considering is up at the top end but I wouldn't say it was OTT especially when I see the engine sizes on 5m+ Rib's today.It probably is wrong to compare a rib with that sort of Dory though? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I was a bit worried about the 1000 kilos statement but after checking mercury site its more like 175 kilos, will be fine, you should have a stamp telling you max HP, also get a trailer & tow to other areas if you get bored, I imagine east coast will be a bit rough most times west coast & loch lomond might be better
    http://www.marinepower.com/products/...80$MA4S_100EFI

Kawasaki is offline Registered User

How mutch is said engine?
    By the wa y But!

Sorry about the weight error, I must have misheard him in all the excitement.

thanks again

Alan

Lastly the ask is 3500 with fitting and warranty.

cheers Alan

I think most of the points have been answered already. 90hp on a boat that size probably needs a bit of respect; catching a chine at full throttle will probably make your heart leap, but it will undoubtedly do what you want it to. Perhaps a (lighter) 2 stroke would make sense? The weight of a 4 stroke on that size of boat may be pushing it a bit.