Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    thefatlady is offline Registered User

Default Re: why give up deck space to store air?

My garage takes a fully inflated 2.5m Avon rib (small, but works). SWMBO and I almost always boat alone and launch it very quickly.

There should be no problem with two people manning a 50ft boat.
    Don't expect mere proof to sway my opinion.

mikef is offline Registered User

Yup thats pretty much it except you forgot

Scrape outboard on bathing platform and make deep gouge
    Crawl into garage to free snarled up winch rope
    Snag garage door on outboard without realising because it is'nt pushed in enough and break hydraulic ram fitting
    Collapse in heap swearing
    Buy different boat

Sorry if I spun off the thread, Mike, and I certainly share your views about full davits. Although it means lugging an outboard on and off, I much prefer locking the dinghy securely on the transom with snap davits; it's safer and you don't have to use a cover to stop the thing filling with spray.

thefatlady is offline Registered User

You missed:
    Punch hydraulic ram through hull.
    Sink boat.
    Drown.
    Don't expect mere proof to sway my opinion.

So are most of us in agreement that they are a 'waste of space' in more ways than one?

The Targa 40 has them and it looks pointless, never seen anyone on the so called bed above it either. Even knocking the Cranchi 41 and 47, it takes up a ridiculous amount of cockpit space.

It seems my quest to fond my next boat has blown out 43's and 47's, just 50's plus which then have problems of their own like parking spaces and handling it alone [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] . Maybe the solution is to keep buying a new Cranchi 34 every couple of years, the money saved on buying a 50ft er around 370,000 to upgrade to the Cranchi 50 could replace a Zaffiro 34 for quite a few years, well until they start making it like an Ikea (light beech everywhere) and Zanussi (sliver plastic everywhere) showroom like the rest of their new models [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

And I guess the twin D12 715hp engines on the Cranchi 50 use a tad more than twin D4 260hp ones. Only problem is swmbo likes the 50 for space, but then again she could always have her own 34ft er for 170k couldn't she, and I will keep the change to stock the bar on mine [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sealine S48 has no garage, bags of space and a low price for a nearly new

Go for the Cranchi 50, you know it makes sense!

swmbo liked the hard top Cranchi 50 best, caught me on the hop a bit as I went to Italy to look at a the new 42 hard top, what a waste of time that was [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] and the 50 we saw was viewed in Port Solent last weekend. I don't know or in fact I do know I am not ready to commit to over 500k on the first 50 I have looked at, there is at least a month or two of research to do when spending that amount, it's a lot of difference to 300k. Princess has appeared on the radar, I think there is some serious considerations there, as for Sealine I'm afraid that is not my cup of tea at all and never will be, I think you either love them or dislike them, and at the moment there are yards full of the things, scary as to what effect that will have on second hand prices if you were trying to sell one at the moment.

Another thing is that there is a depression coming along, you can sense it in the high streets, more and more retailers are having to be more realistic with prices, boats haven't been touched yet, or have they with Sealine? Best to sit back and wait for the bang then go shopping [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Not sure about the hard top on the Cranchi, not the most beautiful thing in the world and head room over the helm wasn't fantastic. Can see the attraction though, no covers etc, mind you mine is easier then the old 39 and probably your 34.

I'm not so sure about the heavy sliding hardtop either, the one I saw was jammimg, I can just imagine all that weght being tossed about. The Princess V48 has a lightweight canvas type concertina roof, light and airy, slides backwards and forwards easily and less prone to jamming, that's got to be the way ahead. The Princess also has much better vision as the windscreen upright posts are much thinner, with the Cranchi there was a big blind spot, still think it is odd standing with your head out the roof to see where you are going, I like the freedom to see all around, wind in my hair and spray in my eyes [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] , also easier to leap on and off the boat in Locks and when re fuelling, the more I think about the less I am convinced about plunging into something too big to handle with my experience. Maybe something with a side door would be nice [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]