Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Default Re: why give up deck space to store air?

When you say "performance" please expand...
    30 - 35 knots / 35 - 40 knots?
    Keep your sunny side up :-)

Thanks for the suggestions, firstly V42, yes some available now but were not before, not a big enough jump for me now to be bothered with. Broom, never thought of that always reminded me of old incontenent men with pipe and slippers (sorry Sami :-). ), but wil look now.

Speed must be 39 - 40 knots, life is to short to potter along at 25 knots.

Thanks to all for your help and glad I'm not the only one that thinks garages sub 50 are plain daft.

With a lateral approach you can store quite a big tender in a sub-50 footer:

Stoaty

That's a Patrol boat not a Sports boat [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Looks like just a normal summer's day in the Solent [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Problem sorted!
    Waiting for Dan to put me out of your misery since 17 Feb (2010 ).

I find myself agreeing completely with Pete on this (cor) I have first hand experience of skippering a Gobbi 425c. Was also used it for training.

As a training vessel its not perfect as it is difficult for the instructor to get to the helm in a hurry if he has to. But more importantly the tender garage makes doing engine checks very difficult. Now these we do every time before going out and get the students to carry it out.

After lifting the garage door pulling out the tender and all the other bits that end up in the garage buckets mops etc, finding somewhere to put the tender (stern to mooring out here of course) then taking out the gargae floor, one then gets wonderfull access to the engines. However there is a hatch in the floor adjacent the garage, (not for those wth larger waists) which you can get the student to climb down whereupon they have to grope about atop the engines to get the dip sticks out, then find the water caps, all this under verbal guidance from the instructor cos you cant fit two down there.

Apparantly on the Sessa 42 they dont even have the hatch so you have to take the garage out.

During charters the sunpad on top of the garage was a hugh temptation to the ladies, however It was of a concern to the skipper whilst underway in a lump one keeps looking round to make sure they have not slid over the tiny rail aft.

Much safer to have people seated within the cockpit and leave the sun bathing for anchor.

Finally there is the question of where one puts these hugh sun pad cushions, two from the garage top and two from the fwd deck. Could put em in the cockpit but they completely fill the cockpit. Could put em in the hugh aft cabin but then theres no room for you.

No I agree leave tender gaages for much larger sports cruisers.

and another thing the garage means that one has to get the port stern rope via the bathing platform i.e. the helmsman is coming in backwards, you are perched on the bathing platform with a boat hook facing aft with no rail to restrain you should he suddenly go forward.