Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Whitelighter is offline Registered User

Default Re: What would you look for in a broker?

So on your list would be a declaration from the broker that they had inspected any boat on their books?
    Half a dinari for an old ex-boater

One who answers emails and returns calls would be a good start.

When we started looking around to upgrade from 39ft I did the usual search through mags and websites etc. I fired off a fair few emails and onli 1 broker responded. They seemed to be interested in making the sale and followed up with info quickly.

I would certainly consider them if we choose to sell.

It beats me why companies would spend many thousands on a website only to ignore the business it generates [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Keep your sunny side up :-)

KevB is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    So on your list would be a declaration from the broker that they had inspected any boat on their books?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not every boat but as many as realisticly possible. A statement by the broker saying that they believe the owners comments as to the general condition of the boat to be sound. Not sure how they would comment that they thought the owners comments were bo11ox. Maybe the lack of brokers statement would indicate this?

A couple of close friends are second hand car dealers. Its only since ive been boating that i realised how honest they are!
    All IMHO of course.

The boat I'm looking at is right outside the brokers office. It was listed as having a hand basin in the heads which isn't there. I jokingly told the broker was he going to ask the owners to fit one as it wasn't a standard item and knowing the size of the heads it jolly well would be a squeeze!

Proximity and quality of listing doesn't go together.

One that can unlock where the boats are stored !!

Went to view a couple of new boats on Monday to find that they had lost the key for the sheds where the new boats are stored. 4 hr round trip wasted [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
    Mark

jcmmarine is offline Registered User

I recon the state of the boats they are trying to sell reflects the quality of the broker. A boat may be old and inexpensive, but it should be clean, tidy and prepared for sale. Don't say its up to the owners - a broker does not have to accept the job of selling something below his standard.
    John
    Sailing is for fun, Engines are for going places.

From a buying perspective - one who listens when I say I have a maximum budget of x and sends me boats within my budget and not x+20%

After traipsing around in the last few months i'd have to say there have only ben a few that have impressed me and being fantastically helpful, truthful and friendly - namely Solent Motor Yachts and brixham boatshed.

I'd also be interested if the boat industry will be following the housing market where the seller provides the survey?
    <span style="color:red">Come on folks - support the Royal Tournament:-</span>
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Tournament/

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd also be interested if the boat industry will be following the housing market where the seller provides the survey?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope not compulsory!, but I would regard it as a big plus to have a recent survey available - or even one 5 years ago is (IMO) better than b#gger all.

Brokers? some I think employ those who have failed to make it as 2nd hand car dealers - but to be fair must be quite hard when half your clientele do know as much if not far more about boats than the salesman. For me I regard them as just a shop window, am not expecting them to "sell" to me, just provide the details and then make the boat available, after all I do appriate that most of them <u>would</u> prefer to be selling something from their Brand new AWB range and that I am only an inconveniance as part of the showrooms efforts to look more "boaty".

I do also despair at some of the Broker efforts online, especially in the CI. Don't any of them ever look at sites like Yachtsnet, Boatshed or when the Yanks sell boats?? Lucky to get 2 lines basically saying "some sort of boat for sale - but I am not sure what exactly" with half the basic details (LOA, Draft, ENgine type, Max and cruising speed) usually not included optional extras. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Waiting for Dan to put me out of your misery since 17 Feb (2010 ).

AdeOlly is offline Registered User

Not just brokerage boats that are dirty. Looked at a 70k 30' boat in the summer that the broker informed was a stock boat and which they were open to a deal on. I rapidly lost interest as it was filthy inside and out, SWMBO would have taken one look and said 'no' purely because it was so dirty. I doubt that anyone had even hosed it down since they took ownership, which wasn't they day or even week before, and they had no excuses as the boat was about 300m from their immaculate offices. Dealer said they'd clean it up before delivery... well how about cleaning it up now I thought, then you might actually sell it! One of the largest and most reputable dealers in the UK too. Was actually quite shocked....
    Adrian