Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mikef is online now Registered User

Default Re: SOUTHAMPTON BOAT SHOW-NOT USER FREINDLY

I had the same treatment from the owner (Jim Leishman??) of Nordhavn who showed me around the engine bay with such an obvious sense of pride that I nearly got my cheque book there and then. Luckily SWMBO dragged me off the boat reminding me that I didnt really need a 40t 8 knot boat [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I think it was probably http://www.nordhavn.com/about/people.htm#dan - justifiably proud of their boats, I think [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rick

mikef is online now Registered User

Could be. All I remember was thinking I could live in the engine bay it was that roomy and tidy [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I had a look around the Nordhavn at the Boat Show, and thought she was just gorgeous really - and I am a raggie at heart really.

The sales personnel welcomed me on board warmly, and we had a long interesting chat, even though they obviously realised I was not a customer.

As for that engine room.... I think that is a standard that all mobos should aspire to - well laid out, plenty of room (walk in!), absolutely pristine......
    Here is a useful guide to Barbados - http://doyleguides.com/barbados.html

Glad to here that Monterey treated you well as I am the dealer for them here in Stavanger.
    Reading everyones posts and being in sales myself for Elan Yachts and Monterey and a few others, and having seen the the criticisms I am interested to hear what it is that you potential customers really would like from a salesman.
    Whats important to you? first visual impressions? technical product knowledge? good backup, or just the lowest price?
    I am old fashioned so I like the smart blazer style, but my background is a marine engineer and electrician so hopefully I can answer just about any technical question relating to my products, I'd be a bit embarrassed if I couldn't.
    I firmly believe in holding the customers hand so as to speak throughout the entire purchase experience, I always try and give the customer some 'alone' time when looking at the boat on the pretext of nipping back to the office for something, I know folks want to lie on the berths, open the cupboards, stand in the shower etc and sit round the table and visualise life onboard, some want to look behind the electrical services panel, or round the engineroom, its fine by me, I have nothing to hide.
    Obviously some are time wasters but you can't always be sure who they are so you have to treat them all as potential customers, maybe if they have a good experience they will recommend you to friends.
    I think its especially important to get the wife/girlfriend involved as the galley and heads is usually of greater interest to them than whether the trim flaps retract automatically, or it has a folding prop.
    But in salesmen defence, I would say that the customer themselves can help the process, I had one guy come in with a data stick full of pics of details from various other manufacturers i.e.curved tops on the cabin doors, asking if we could incorporate them into our boat and could we deliver a sailboat with all the grain in the woodwork in the cabin going horizontally so it looked bigger inside!!
    I decided there and then I didn't want him as a customer as he would always be complaining about something, and politely suggested he look at boats that you could spec yourself.
    Then there are the ones that let their kids run wild, yanking switches and controls, jumping on the berths, climbing on the table and putting footprints on the upholstery, and you know you are going to have to spend a couple of hours cleaning the boat after they have gone, and the parents stand there talking to you completely oblivious, please if you can't control your kids leave them at home.
    This is not Toys-r-Us.
    So I welcome forumites comments on how to make the whole experience better.

Reminds me of a friend i had. Extremely rich multimillionaire.
    He said he liked to dress like the lads, in fact the truth is, he looked a right mess. Holes in his jeans at the knees. Holes in his jumper at the elbows. If he was taken short, he would Pee up the nearest lamp-post.

One-day he walk into a BMW showroom to buy a new car and the salesman turfed him out. After a load of hollowing and shouting, swearing and kicking my mate forced his way back into the showroom, slapped a bundle of money onto the roof of the car, shouted get me the effing keys.

Cut a long storey short, two salesmen were sacked.

Some of you on here might know of the Cat-house at Woolverstone.
    Years ago, he purchased that to sit and watch the Seagulls.
    Shame he is no longer with us.

mont is offline Registered User

Agree Nordhavn have shown me the same courtesy as well. As you did I explained the nature of my interest was to only have a look and my pocket was too shallow at present.
    Nice impressive boat and staff / uk dist trying to build a brand image - its working.
    I found at SIBS that some dealers / builders appreciate courtesy and honesty. Some are hard work though.

AdeOlly is offline Registered User

Had the same experience with Pearl last year; explained price was out of our league before we asked to see the boat. Was shown around it for 20 minutes and then left alone. Fantastic boat, if SWMBO ever lets me spend the required amount of money on a boat I'd def. go and see them, unlike Fairline who were rude and offhand.
    Adrian

ari is online now Registered User

I find the same at motorshows. No problem at all looking at less popular cars like Kias or Nissans, but you try getting onto the Bentley or Ferrari stand!

I don't understand it... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12