Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    duncan is offline Registered User

Default Re: raggies v stinkies - a culture clash?

yes and no - imho...........

overall we are united and divided by boating - little correlation elsewhere nowadays I suspect.

the uniting is in 'our' chosen craft (electronics, anchors, or even ensigns........... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]) - what we choose is clearly right/best/...

then in using our boats raggies either cruise or race - stinkies 'go places'. Thus the meeting point is cruises and stinkies in anchorages (mainly during the day) where they both mutually enjoy just being there, on their boats, until a jetski turns up.........................

Ok so what about people who have owned both? Do they suddenly change career/accent and culture?

I don't know, always been a raggie rocker rather than a stinkie mod . . . But I do know people who've done it - bit like sex change operations I suppose [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Cherbourg was perfectly peaceful til you came chugging in with your big 'Look at Me' wake. I still have a piece of contact lense stuck in my eyelid

duncan is offline Registered User

well if you had been properly moored with fenders, springs, snubbers etc like any self respecting stinkie you wouldn't have suffered. Standard raggie - blame the stinkie..............if Chuggin' could gone fast enough to make a wake you would be blaming him too..........

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I must be Jekyll & Hyde, i got both.

Each do their job quite well.
    Now looking for a third, for another purpose.

[ QUOTE ]
    They are surely different pleasures, with different rewards, and therefore appealling to different character types, but I don't think the cultural difference is there.

A minority of motorboaters are a bit imprudent (planing around a bay where people are swimming), or inconsiderate (swamping dinghies), but even that isn't really a cultural difference, it's just down to ignorance. Motorboating is that much more accessible - salesmen tell people it's just like driving a car, and the punters believe them.

There is perhaps a cultural difference in the boating community but I'd say it's more new boat / old boat rather than sailboat / motor boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say there was did I??? All I said was what my experience with Moboters was? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

jcmmarine is offline Registered User

I was once young and foolish, I enjoyed being rough, tough, cold, wet and living in variable positions-but never upright. I dressed like a michelin man and climbed into holes called bunks and lived on pre-prepared corned beef sandwiches. Whilst fighting wind and sails to achive an aproximate direction towards a dreamed of destination.

Now I have grown up. Rising at a civilised hour and showering in the en-suite, I phone before leaving UK to book a French restraunt then, having engaged autopilt, put the kettle on and croisants in the microwave.

What makes me smile is the number of Raggies that, when pressed, admit they actualy spend more time motor sailing than sailing. Why will they not really admit it and go the whole way.
    John
    Sailing is for fun, Engines are for going places.

When the Raggies motorsail they dont annoy everyone with their wash.

There are plenty of ignorant raggies out there, that make up for it with their behaviour. There are plenty of mobo's who go out of their way to ensure their wash causes as few problems as possible.

[ QUOTE ]
    There are plenty of ignorant raggies out there, that make up for it with their behaviour. There are plenty of mobo's who go out of their way to ensure their wash causes as few problems as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not here they bloomin well don't!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast