Default Interior teak repair

I know that there have been a few threads on here about teak repair but most of them seem to relate to exterior teak. Picture below shows interior teak on my (open) boat which now has quite a few patches on it. Does it need to be completely rubbed back and revarnished or is there a short cut?
    Cheers
    Jon

LittleShip is offline Registered User

Default Re: Interior teak repair

No shortcuts....................strip it and then re-varnish. If you just rub down and varnish the marks will show. Welcome to the fun of woodwork! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Tom

I was worried you'd say that!

hlb is offline Registered User

Make sure it's not that veneerial stuff and only .5mm thick. Dead easy to sand right through it.

tcm is offline Registered User

stripped back and revarnished s defintely the best way. Further, i wd say getting the piece out of the boat to work on is better. In fact, better than that would be to lift all the floor.

I think you still need to use teak cleaner so you don't end up varnishing over the black bits of crud - it shd be sparkly clean before varnishing. Before that you need a stripper to get the old varnish off.

With the varnishing itself, do it completely differently from the way in which you see most others doing it, cos most do it very badly indeed. The main thing to do is to pour the varnish you need to use, and reseal the tin and NOT continuously take varnish out with a brush - and dirt back into the tin.

The best way to get a decent floor finish will be to probably to use a form roller.

Thanks. Stupid question - I presume the light stripes are part of the floor itself i.e so when i strip it the stripes will still be there and can be revarnished?

Yes, the light stripes are usually holly, the dark is teak

tcm is offline Registered User

quite so yes,the light and dark are teak and holly BUT they are very thin layers of teak and holly, probly on ply so go carefully.