Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default boat broker not interested?

over 2 months ago i put in an offer for a used boat through a broker, at about a 20% reduction of the original asking price. This offer was refused (as I thought it would be, but start low and work my way up was the plan), but left all my details. We had looked at the boat several times so they must know we were interested, but since that day they haven't contacted us to see if we are still interested in buying and to see whether we want to increase our offer.
    As a sales person myself, I find this quites strange, as surely they must realise we are looking to buy, but also, wouldn't the boats owner have been on the to broker to chase up this potential client?
    Is the the norm with boat brokers, anyone else had similar experiences? The fact none of this has happened has put me of using this broker

Default Re: boat broker not interested?

Hi there, respectfully suggest that you read your own post.
    The answers may become clear.
    Some brokers are brighter than you might think.
    Have a nice day.
    Regards, les

?????
    Cheers

Bob

Warning! All my opinions are formed on the Internet.......

I agree with you, an insulting offer will never be taken seriously

Offerring 20% less "insulting"??? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

In fairness however to the Broker the Owner might well have given a very clear "Fook off" to any offers - in which case little point in chasing you up, but unless the Broker was busy 24/7 I would have thought that getting on the phone wouldn't kill him - even if it was to try and sell yer something else.

Hell, he doesn't even need to get off his backside for that.

But of course the "problem" with Brokers in general is that it is a part time job that gets fitted around jobs that attract payment quicker - making money over the long term is not really the done thing / requires thinking ahead.........

Would I be a broker? No! - I can't be bothered. Either [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
    Cheers

Bob

Warning! All my opinions are formed on the Internet.......

well if he is expecting ,say,-5pct,(i m not saying that is a correct price),he isnt going to bother chasing you. It seems many consider selling a boat a long term project,rather than something they are keen to bring to a conclusion.
    I think some professional experience doesnt always help. You know how to try to bring a deal to a close, but most others dont,and that frustrates you. I ve had too many similar experiences as you-seems people just wait forever thinking the dream purchaser will turn up. Meantime they ve been clocking up costs all the time. But if you think the boat is worth X, why expect to buy it for 90% of X ? Decide what its worth to you, and thats your offer. If its no go, move onto the next one. Why expect to get ot for less than even you think its worth?

It is up to you to go back if you are really interested!
    I sold my boat last year and the initial offer was far too low. I guess the broker passed this message on and after about 3 more passes ( in the same morning ) we had a deal.
    Why did you not increase your offer at the time, if you were really serious as you say?

tcm is offline Registered User

Default Accept Every Offer

yep, mind games all very well, but can run into the sand as here. No harm in phoning buyer to say look, if you wantto buy a boat that's great but needs tobe a better offer, sorry. Or how about making the same offer on a cheaper boat eh?

The notion of an"insulting" offer to buy something is oxymoronic in US. But here in uk, some salespeople may fancifully see themselves as distributing favours ("hm, i could perhaps let you have one in July....that's July 2008).

As salespeople, getting people to make offers is exactly what we want to happen, and the original poster did just that. Fab! Only slight prob is it's not enough money, otherwise the offer is really good news for everyone.

The broker is the one paid to chivvy this along, smooth things. And it would make things clearer if he establishedthe offer really is atthe bottom end of the range for a real buyer - or at the top end of the range for a tyrekicker. I secretly think there are almost no tyrekickers.

Here's a possibly fab gambit if you are a broker - called Accept Every Offer! Yep, very good news, the vendotr has accepted your offer. Can you complete next friday? Wahey! Or indeed, ooer. That'll straighten out the so-called tyrekickers eh? Didn't expect that didya? Three days later the buyer is doing passage plans in"his" new boat, or having nightmares cos he's accidentally bought a boat miles too big. Ring him again. "Big confusion, vendor thought you sed 27,500 not 25,700. Our fault, not yours sorry - you can have your deposit back...or of course if you cd just offer that extra 2k, it's yours, hm?"

Some brokers need their attitudes sorting out a bit, or sacking a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
    over 2 months ago i put in an offer for a used boat through a broker, at about a 20% reduction of the original asking price. This offer was refused (as I thought it would be, but start low and work my way up was the plan),

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your plan....You started low, the offer was refused, then nothing.

If you are/were truly interested in the boat, you forgot to work your way up, left yourself in the dark, and are second guessing the situation.

It's a bit surprising that they didnt tell you that it was refused, but the owner might accept "x", (even if "x" is the asking price).

Maybe they got a better offer shortly afterwards.

Maybe the owner refused to consider anything less than the asking price.

Maybe the owner told them to refuse the offer, then see if you called back... if you did, you were definitely interested, if not..... (If this was the strategy and you truly want the boat, it didnt work, but it might have been the owners instruction)

Whatever happened, perhaps you owe it to yourself to find out... only on the basis that it seems to be an "itch you want to scratch".
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

tcm is offline Registered User

good point richard, tho you are being a bit generous to broker, unless they really did get a better offer soon after. If have been not-called back quite a lot after visitng boats and making tentative offers.