Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SS Anselm

thanks for your quick reply much appreciated !

Default SS Anselm

Quote Originally Posted by quimby View Post
    Does anyone have surviving relative from the sinking of SS Anselm ? Torpedoed north of the Azores July5th 1941,Sunk by U boat U96
    My father, Alexander Davidson Mowatt, serving with RAF was lost at se when SS Anselm was sunk off the Azores in July 1941. I was 18 months old at the time and have no memories of my father. I was an only child, now 73 and am his lsat surviving relative.

My father Arthur Patrick Nolan was in the crew of the Anselm. He was an Able Seaman and one of those whose job was lowering the boats after the torpedo struck. He survived and eventually returned from Freetown aboard a ship called the Ville De Tamatave, arriving back in Liverpool in Sept. 1941
    He was toubled right to the end of his life by the memory of the cries for help of those who were trapped below as the ship was sinking but couldn't be helped because the ladders to below decks had been destroyed by the initial explosion. It was something he found difficult to talk or even think about.
    He died in 2009 aged 88.
    In his later years he took up the making of ship models as a hobby and created a model of the Anselm based on photographs of the ship which I got for him off the internet. I have the model now and it takes pride of place in our house.
    I would be pleased to hear from anyone else who may have family memories/newspaper cuttings etc relating to the Anselm. In particular does anyone still have a copy of the list of the ships crew ?

Steve Nolan

Have you seen these links, one lists the crew but on looking at the ships details it is a different ship altogether:

http://www.wartimememoriesproject.co...ips/anselm.php

http://www.convoyweb.org.uk/sl/mem/78_9.htm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...ecalls-2073047

Last edited by lenseman; 19-05-13 at 01:05.
    regards David - DSW Marine Engineering
    www.dswmarineengineering.com

Really interesting to come across this thread. My Dads oldest brother, Philip Henry Frederick Cane, Aircraftman 2nd Class, 623464, Royal Air Force, was one of those who lost their lives on the Anselm. Dad (who also served in the RAF during WWII) passed away last year... Ironically I became a submariner back in 1985 and at the time had no idea that my uncle had been killed in a U-boat attack as my Dad and grandparents never talked about it...

Default Re: SS Anselm

Hi

Its a bit of an old thread this one. However does anyone have a crew list for the SS Anselm? I want to check whether my Grandfather is listed. He was rescued and eventually made his way home from Sierra Leone. I am researching his history.

Could any one please help

Thanks

Simon Head

Quote Originally Posted by simon_head View Post
    Hi

Its a bit of an old thread this one. However does anyone have a crew list for the SS Anselm? I want to check whether my Grandfather is listed. He was rescued and eventually made his way home from Sierra Leone. I am researching his history.

Could any one please help

Thanks

Simon Head
    Google SS Anselm
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe...+full+movie&oq

To find if your grandfather was on board check his war record , you will need to have his service number or its a long job tracing records.
    Das Boot had the U96 commander as technical director for the making of the film.
    I cross referenced details on the German Uboat site and the U96 sank the Anselm on the date stated. It was depth charged but managed to limp back to Brest for repairs. and was later sunk by aircraft in the Baltic in 1945.

https://uboat.net/boats/u96.htm U96 record here.
    Last edited by Quimby; 10-12-17 at 13:51.

Hi Quimby

My Grandfather was the Chief Steward on the Anselm so would have been in the Merchant Navy. He only managed to get off and was missing for a time. My dad who died in 2014 said that his slippers saved him. I want the crew list for the survivors at this time. I have him joining the SS Anselm on the 12 December 1940. It appears that the list I have seen are for those souls (Armed Forces) who lost their lives not those in the Merchant Navy.

Unfortunately the discharge books are missing for this period but as I know the ship numbers for this time presumably I need to review the Ships Agreements.

Later he was on the SS Hilary at the landing in Anzio and was very affected by the scene of all the dead floating in the sea.

I also want to trace his whereabouts at this time- the SS Hilary was a sister to the Anselm but was a HQ ship and was under RN command as the HMS Hillary at this time. It was requisitioned twice by the RN during the war. Again it was a Booth Line ship. Most of the ships were named after Saints.

He was a Booth Line man most of his life (another ship I have him on was the SS Cuthbert in 1919)- I am trying to trace his agreements as the family no longer have his discharge books.

Eventually he came home via Sierra Leone. In those days if you were in the Merchant Navy if you were shipwrecked you had to make your own way home as your employment agreement ceased if the vessel was lost. I do not know if this changed during the war.

As a matter of interest I was an Engineer apprentice with Ellerman City Line but was also offered the same with Blue Star Line in the late 70s so I could have worked for the company which absorbed the Booth Line. I was at the time advised to go with Ellerman Lines which in hindsight was possibly not the best as I was made redundant in 1984!

Kind regards

Simon Head
    Last edited by simon_head; 11-12-17 at 09:42.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12