Default Part 1 Registration

Excuse my ignorance but how do I know if my boat is Part 1 registered? If it's not should it be & why? And if so how do I do that?

Cheers
    Jon.

Hurricane is offline Registered User

Default Re: Part 1 Registration

If registered, she should have a certificate.
    You dont have to register on the part 1 register - it isnt manditory.
    It helps to prove ownership and country of registration.
    You can do a similar registration by registering on the Small Ships Register (SSR) at a much reduced cost of around £12 but this can be done by anyone on line and IMHO doesnt prove anything.

I dont think either are manditory but do help if (say) the French authorities get a bit funny.
    Niether registrations prove VAT status but, I believe that the Part 1 Registration keeps a record of any marine mortages on the boat.

We are part 1 registered but I cant think of any good reason. It may have helped when we went to Antwerp earlier this year. The port authority faxed our details to the UK somewhere to check on us when we "signed in" at the marina office - there was an immediate reply - I put this down to the Part 1 registration being correct and up to date.

I think it helps to prove ownership when you sell - a bit like the land registry.

Hope that helps.

If it's Part 1 registered, it will have an official number which should be affixed somewhere prominent on the boat - in modern mobos it's usually on a plate attached to a bulkhead or some such. If you don't have one, your boat's almost certainly not Part 1 registered.

Part 1 is official proof of your ownership of the boat, which Part 3 isn't, but it's probably of more significance for larger boats, particularly where large loans have been taken out to pay for it.

Part 3 certificate will satisfy French Douaniers' insatiable desire for bits of paper, should you end up across the Channel.
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

DavidJ is offline Registered User

Agree with all the above. Mainland European marinas will expect you to put something in the box marked "registration" so the SSR number (part3) does well for this, even though it means naff all.

Thanks for the replies - I am definitely not Part 1 registered on that basis. How exactly do I go about it?

Jon.

You need to get a survey done for "tonnage" (which is a measurement of the internal volume) - this is the most expensive bit. Then you either need a builders certificate for a new boat, or proof of ownership going back 5 years for a second hand boat. You also need to fill out the http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/msf4727...igibility).pdf to show you can own a british flag vessel.

Finally, choose a name (must be unique - worth talking to them on the phone at this point to save lots of back and forth with the form!). Then do the http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/applica...msf_4740-7.pdf and send them the money. They'll issue you a number on a "carving note" which you must carve onto the main beam of the boat (ie. afix very firmly) plus you must put the name and port of registry on the stern.

Sign the carving note and return it - and they'll send you the part 1 registration document.

Rick

DavidJ is offline Registered User

Are you sure you need part 1?
    The alternative is fill in the online form for part 3
    https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/default.asp
    let them take 25 quid from your credit card ( it's gone up from 12) and job done

whisper is offline Registered User

I agree, I can't really see the point of it other than for large boats with outstanding finance etc. The SSR ( Part 3) seems to suffice for foreign trips.

Thanks all, very helpful, Part 3 it is.

As an aside the reason I came across this at all was that I was filling out a form for one of the MBM cruises this year and the form asked whether the boat was Part 1 registered.

Jon.