Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DavidJ is online now Registered User

Default Re: Yeehah!

[ QUOTE ]
    Finally, store the polishing tool somewhere safe, because it's very hard work and not that good really, and you'll never ever use it again.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Almost exactly my story. I've now got all the professional equipment, loads of different grade sponges, expensive Autoglop polish and it's all stored neatly away in the boat while I'm getting someone else to do it this spring.

Oh dear this is disappointing. Having read all the recent threads on polishing I was hoping for a concensus of the best polishing widget and the latest miracle polish. Looks like I will be doing the Sealine by hand, the slow way now.

Does polishing the GRP decks and coach roof make them slippery? Only ever polished the rib once. Tubes were so slippery no one could sit on them and kitting divers up turned into a complete farce [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Pete
    Moody 31

Now you are putting me off as well, I have got the whirring thingy plus all the wool heads and some good stuff off Adrianb, and planned to crack on at Easter.

I also got a quote of 750Euros for someone else to do the whole boat, SWMBO says I should just pay them and and save the time, but theres a tiny bit of me that likes doing this sort of stuff.

I think TCMs observation that this equipment will end up in a corner somewhere is a pretty good one, stored alongside the electric Hoe, the bench drill, the seed hopper, the bike rack, the single fender etc etc

nyx2k is offline Registered User

i really is easy to do aslong as you keep to the advice given. i have done a few boats locally and to polish from the waterline to the top of the gunnels without doing the deck as that would be to slippy, i can normally do a 35ft boat in about 3-4hrs and that's for cutting and polishing. the boats i have done are for friends so i only charge about 150-200 pounds inc materials. i can get cutting compound mixed for any grade and polish made depending on its use. 5ltrs of compound is about 20 pounds and polish is 20 pounds also

nyx2k is offline Registered User

just to add i am in no way trying to advertise myself or looking for work. i have enogh car valet work to keep me going for months and its in the warm

Default Re: Polishing advice needed

My tuppnyworth:
    <ul type="square">[*]When you do car bodywork, you need to get the surface hot. If you do that to fibreglass, you damage it. That means its safer to use an orbital (dual action) machine rather than a rotary polisher.[*]Don't use cutting compound to polish - it takes the surface off - why would you want to do that?[*]Use a proper boat polish, not a car polish. If you can't find any, buy some from my web site.[*]Once you've polished, finish off with wax or glaze. The best wax is Carnauba. It comes from Brazil, so my best boat wax is 'Best Brazilian'[*]Glaze gives an even more durable finish than carnauba wax - mine incorporates synthetic snail slime (OK it's PTFE) that makes it non-stick.[*]Dirt, salt and stuff slides off waxed and shiny surfaces. So do people. Don't shine areas you are going to stand on.[/list]

There seem to be lots of different opinions here.

Having done this exercise for myself with excellent results I can recommend the Farclea stuff (G3 or G10 but can't remember which is the finer stuff).

That machine pictured at the start of the thread looks ideal for cutting the gelcoat but I would recommend a lambswool bonnet instead of the foam.

Why on earth would anyone want to apply a polish mechanically? You certainly wouldn't do it with a high speed 'polishing' machine like that pictured.

I have found that an empty spray bottle with a little bit of cutting compund in the bottom is ideal and keep wetting the GRP as you go, and watch out for the 'fling' as the stuff goes everywhere. Keep on rinsing as you go to see how you are getting on.

As far as I can tell polish is polish and all are too much trouble. The best polish is the one that can be put on the whole of the boat without worrying about it drying too fast (fat chance in this weather). I have found the Autoglym 'gold' labelled finshing polish to be ideal, it goes on like petrol and takes an hour to dry, powder wipes off very easily.

However like I said at the start, everyone has their own ideas about what is best. Good luck.

Just to clarify.
    Anything called polish usually contains a fine abrasive. It makes the surface shiny by removing microscopic bumps.
    Waxes and glazes make the surface shiny by adding a coating that is itself shiny.
    You can get combined polish and wax, so you get a quick result, but repeated use will eventually degrade the surface. Better to use a prewax (polish) followed by a totally non-abrasive wax or glaze and then top up the wax or glaze as necessary.