Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default proof of VAT paid????

Hi
    I am struggling to find a definitive answer to proof of vat paid on my boat. i am off to the med, turkey this spring and need to get all my papaerwork straight.
    My sigma 33 'Lucy' is registered part 1 jersey harbour, she was built 1982.
    I have the registry blue book plus the bill of sale, builders lloyds paperwork but not the original invoice showing vat paid.
    Not sure of where or who to contact or which paperwork would satisfy vat being paid??
    any advise greatly received
    cheers john

Default Re: proof of VAT paid????

Where was the first owner living? in the Uk or Jersey?

If it was Jersey, then it may well be that...........the reason you do not have proof of VAT is that it was not paid - after all if you were based here, would you choose to pay any! Have you tried locating the original owner?

The other bad news is that French Customs particularly do very much understand that a vessel from Jersey (or that looks like it comes form Jersey - ie has a Jersey registration) may / probably does not have VAT paid on it. and they do know the rules backwards about when you have to pay - for "some" reason folk in Jersey have a reputation for being tax dodgers. No idea why [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].........of course if you are only transiting to Turkey the french will not be any great concern (the vessel can stay up to 6 months in the EU). Does the vessel NEED to be EU VAT paid to stay in Turkey??

Maybe you would be better off letting the Jersey Regsitration lapse and getting her on the SSR in the UK?? English person, and an English Registered boat may make your life a bit simpler?

Sorry not to be more helpful........
    Cheers

Bob

Warning! All my opinions are formed on the Internet.......

You only need proof of VAT paid on boats built after 1993. You don't need to worry.

I think you may be missing the point somewhat - if I was buying a boat that at least <u>appeared</u> to have started life here I would presume that it was not VAT paid, until I saw the proof - from personal knowledge (but not me!) those pesky foreigners <u>do</u> like to collect VAT on boats from Jersey.

Knowing and proving are not the same.
    Cheers

Bob

The EU rule is that boats built before 1993 are considered "VAT paid" by default. Nobody will try to collect VAT if you can show that the boat is older than from 1993, not even the pesky HMC&amp;E.

jerryat is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    You only need proof of VAT paid on boats built after 1993. You don't need to worry.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting, I always understood you didn't need VAT proof for boats built before 1983/4. I bitterly remember having to get loads of receipts, boatyard bills etc to prove it for my 1984 boat though, so it may have been 1984/5.

Got the flimsy bit of paper though, which even new must have been the fifth carbon copy and was virtually illegible! In all the succeeding years crfuising throughout France, the Med. Caribbean etc, we've NEVER been asked for it and sometimes I wish someone DID want to see it, just to make all the effort worthwhile!!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    The EU rule is that boats built before 1993 are considered "VAT paid" by default. Nobody will try to collect VAT if you can show that the boat is older than from 1993, not even the pesky HMC&amp;E.

[/ QUOTE ]

Greatttttttttttt news. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Can't stop as I am now off down to buy any boat I can find locally that was built before 1993 (and NEVER had the VAT paid on it) and import it into the EU.

I am gonna be rich [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Cheers

Bob

Hold your horses one minute. You need to check, but I have a a feeling that the VAT amnesty only applies if your boat was in the UK when the deadline passed.

So not only do you have to show that the boat was built before 1993, but that it was in the UK on the 31st December 1993 (or whenever the date is). if you have some yard bills or mooring receipts then produce those, otherwise a bit more difficult.

It's all well and good knowing, or being fairly confident that your boat is VAT exempt, but at some point you may be asked to prove it. If you can't, then assume it isn't and you'll get no nasty surprises.

Taken from Notice 8 HMRC

Certain vessels that were in use as private pleasure craft prior to 1 January 1985 and
    were in the EU on 31 December 1992, may be deemed VAT paid under the Single
    Market transitional arrangements. As Austria, Finland and Sweden joined the EU
    later, the relevant dates for vessels in these countries are ‘in use’ before 1 January
    1987 and moored in EU on 31 December 1994.

Be warned there is talk that this may no longer apply in the near future, and or some countries do not accept it even now. Contact the RYA legal dept for up to date advice.
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

Default It\'s a very amorphous subject, but

All boats in the EU before Feb '93 (I think) are deemed VAT exempt, all boats post '93 have to pay VAT if imported for more than a continuous 26 weeks into the EC.
    Though that last is subject to highly variable interpretation by local VAT authorities, many ensure that their boat is recorded as being outside EC waters every 182 days.

Post '93 boats bought in the Channel Islands, probably without VAT having been paid, if in an EC country are considered liable to VAT and are fair game to les Douanes.

If you can prove your pre'93 boat was in an EC country at the time of the VAT apocalypse you don't have to pay VAT; if you can't, les Douaniers will be very glad to relieve you of it (and they assess the boat value).
    The French database in Toulouse is comprehensive and meticulously maintained, and local offices have every incentive (6%) to fine yachties (impartially, they do the French as well as Netherlands, US and UK citizens).

One way around it is to approach the HM Customs &amp; Excise for an opinion, if in contained a letter waving that in front of a (sufficiently senior) Douanier will probably avoid teh fine. They used to be fairly co-operative, now part of Inland Revenue may have changed that for the worse.