Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: End of Red

Default End of Red

I haven't delved deeply into this forum so I don't know whether this has been previously mentioned but I note that everyone is still refering to "Red" diesel and who will and will not qualifyto use it.
    I understand from local commercial users and suppliers that "Red" will be discontinued and ALL users will purchase normal "White".
    Those users who qualify will then reclaim the appropriate tax much as with VAT at present.

Default Re: End of Red

there is masses to read on this subject. Your local users must have an inside track to John Healey's thoughts as one thing which is not under debate is that the government is still trying to work out quite what to do. White, red, blue ... nothing has been decided ... unless I have missed a new report.
    martin

I have heard something similar from a supplier. To much red tape involved in selling red for so few legitimate users.

You are correct. Government haven't decided how to handle it yet, so any suppliers who say they know obviously have inside knowledge the decision makers don't

If all diesel is going to be "white" then how will C&E catch people using untaxed diesel in boats, farmers' vehicles etc?

Good point! Anyone in possession of genuinely rebated fuel could divert it for other than legitimate use.

I think the idea is that they reclaim the duty, which means visits from HMRC asking them to justify amount claimed.
    So they may help their best buddy to a few gallons but no more as this would be risky!

Farmers will still get red, and fishermen where available. Any one entitled to red where unavailable could claim duty back.

This sounds madness. Are they seriously swapping a simple system of taxed and untaxed, with a red dye to distinguish (and catch) illegal use, for a mixed system of some red, some white taxed, some white untaxed?
    Liveaboards will need two tanks - one of white (taxed), one of white (untaxed). No visible or chemical difference? Guess what is going to happen! Why is everyone complaining - it sounds like a racketeer's charter.

at the moment it's all speculation, as the government as still working out how to handle it, and have made no announcements

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast