Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: End of Red

Default Re: End of Red

That is why they should not put duty up. There will have to be a period when bio & derv are both available, to allow experimentation, which will cost money. If the price goes up & margins for suppliers go down as would have to happen with a 25p per litre duty increase, Then as a supplier, would you bother, cos I know I wouldn't.

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)

[ QUOTE ]
    I was merely trying to find out if anyone here actually runs it in their marine engines.

[/ QUOTE ] One of the dolphin watching boats based at Lossie does, and since his supplier is actually right near my boat I would love to try it myself. I don't quite dare, though. Bunging it into a 25 year old installation seems a higher risk compared to fitting out a new installation specially for bio operation.
    Tony S

Talk to a good mechanic. It would not take much to get your boat to run on bio, (maybe change some rubber hose & a few fuel filter changes + check you're fuel pump) & may get you another 25yrs as it is a better lubricant than derv [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)

Cheers. I guess the problem is finding a mechanic who's truly knowledgeable both on Biodiesel and on the Volvo fuel system.

There's a lot of scare stories doing the rounds. One is that injector pumps containing aluminum components are liable to damage, another one is that water or methanol not properly removed from the Biodiesel during the process can cause problems.
    Tony S

I would use it if it were available. 1000l minimum orders are no good to me, unless ome form of syndicate gets organised. I'd need a maximum of 260l or so, and usually fill up in 100l quantities so that the tank is pretty full and the actual fill up isn't too painful.

My engine has no warranty of any form and any fixing, within reason, has to be done by me. Ergo I have less to lose than someone with a brand new D4.
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

I'd use it like a shot if I could actually get into my boat in decent quantities.

My engines are certified for 100% bio-diesel.

Tell more: what engines?
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Iveco-Aifo 8210-SRM45-10 and 8041-M09.

It's actually for an 80% bio 20% mineral mix rather than pure. Still a lot better than most engines that only warrant 5% bio mixes.

Some interesting tidbits here - http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/f...arranties.shtm

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345