Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Mayday - Fire on board

Fire on cruiser under way. http://www.griffinsoft.com/cruise06/boatfire.html

But with a happy ending [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Ocean Froggie

epervier is offline Registered User

Default Re: Mayday - Fire on board

very scary stuff, but as you say, crew safe and uninjured that's what matters, also as your story depics you can always buy a replacement boat.

happy ending.
    "It's Better to Have Memories Than Dreams"
    "blow Q, cycle main vents"

Yep, scary stuff, but well managed. Thanks for the pics etc.
    BTW, did the boat have petrol engines? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    did the boat have petrol engines?

[/ QUOTE ] Ah yes; looks like the well-known and ubiquitous Broom/Ocean 37 petrolhead model, fitted with 7.4 litre Mercs. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Being serious, what this picture demonstrates very well is that, whether your engines are petrol or diesel, GRP burns very well when it's got going - and the fire spreads alarmingly quickly.

Sobering stuff.
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

B175Chris is offline Registered User

I think i read this in one of the MBM's in 2005, very scary stuff [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Chris
    "It's not that I think I'm better than you, it's just I'm a bit cleverer than you need to be to work here."

"Wolfie's got a BTEC."

"Exactly."

[ QUOTE ]
    did the boat have petrol engines? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]No Diesel thankfully. Amazingly after she sank, the diesel tanks broke free and floated up to the surface, with approx 100 gal of diesel in them. Life boat brought them back to port. It could have been a very different story had she been petrol - doesn't even bear thinking about. The GRP slowly burned down to the water line and she sank about an hour later.

The good thing was by the time this had happened we were in more sheltered waters and the swell was mild so a ship to ship crew rescue was possible, but for the previous 5 hours we had been out in an atlantic swell and it would have been impossible and dangerous to get the boats near each other, so they'd have had to jump in the water, and we would have had to launch the dingy to recover them.

And yes the photo of the life boat hose peeing a dribble of water is a bit funny, think they were trying to get the high pressure pump started. Look like the guy is well - enough said [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It was all over by then and it was really just a pollution control exercise, her crew was safely in Kilrush by the time those pics where taken.
    Ocean Froggie

Funny isn't it....

Everyone says "Oh god I'd never have petrol engines" - yet most boat fires happen on Diesel boats - and are caused by the cookers.....

When a boat burns it's the fibreglass that burns like mad - not many say "Oh I'd never have a fibreglass boat"....

I think petrols get a really bad press - most small boats in US are petrol, but they don't really have any more problems that we do in UK....

Makes ya think really... is Petrol any more dangerous when treated properly than diesel?
    Why can't we work 2 days a week and boat the other 5????

As the owner of a petrol powered boat, I'm inclined to agree with you. There is always a caveat, however, and in this case it's the indisputable fact that, once ablaze, there's a higher risk of explosion with petrol than with diesel. However, if you have your fuel lines checked regularly, and inspect the engine bay and run your bilge blower before starting up, the risk of a fire starting on a petrol powered boat ought to be no more than with a diesel.

As others have said, I've seen lots of fires attributable to gas cylinders, electrical equipment (especially dehumidifiers and heaters) malfunctioning, and a spate of other misfortunes, but I can't say that I've ever seen a report of a fire being caused by the fact that a boat was petrol engined.
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

Yes that's fair enough. I suppose diesel can be percieved safer if things go wrong (ie leak or other fire source such as cooker or gas). Point is good maintenance and proper operations should stop things going wrong in the first place. I suspect petrol is more of a worry on very old cruising boats with inboard engines and sleeping cabins, whereas diesel is more lienent when it comes to problems such as leaking fuel lines, ruptured tanks, and when in contact with a fire generated from another source. Petrol is not the problem, it is usally the way folk treat it.

You are quite correct unattended gas cookers cause most boat fires. Btw, in this case the cause was not established, but a ruptured high pressure oil line spewing oil on a hot turbo is suspected (ie history with some of these engines). It is amazing the diesel in the fuel tanks survived the inferno and floated back up to the surface.
    Ocean Froggie

I had used a local company to go over safety equipment on my boat as i am a novice and was not sure what i needed. I brought it at the end of last year and all equipment flares, fire ext, first aid kit all run out in 1991. Even more two new diesel engines was fitted due to an insurance claim in 1995 and still they did not replace the automatic ones. I think the danger is that it is an easy short cut to say i will leave it because it will never happen to me. I have kids so i wont take no chances but to many people do.
    This time thank god they was lucky but help is not always at hand.
    Is that land over there ?