Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "lucky"?

Default \"lucky\"?

i decided a few weeks ago to fit a vetus raw water filter to my yanmar 3gm, I had never experienced any problems and decided to do so "just in case" My boat was out of the water and i had the part(s) delivered by my local marine engineer who was going to give a word of advice as to the best location for it. We looked at the seacock inlet and bend and he passed the comment that whoever had fitted it had correctly used 2 clips and that i should do the same. He left wishing me luck in removing the hose from the connection as they were often a b****d to get off. I took the 2 clips off and got myself in a comfy position to start the "big push". I had hardly exerted any muscle at all when the hose came off! I looked at the end and was horrified to see that the copper? reducer pipe had sheared off. Closer examination revealed that the reducer which went into a 3/4 bend did not have the usual hexagonal type flange to tighten it up but was round and whoever had installed it had left deep mole grip marks on the pipe itself where he had tightened it up! My boat is a 1995 Dehler 35, this is likely to be the original factory fitted item so any owners of similar models beware. i have to confess that i don't always close off the seacock due to having to remove engine cover etc but will from now on! ( decided to change the whole fitting )

Evadne is offline Registered User

Default Re: \"lucky\"?

Well, I guess there's no substitute for regular inspection of the holes through your hull. I am beginning to suspect that it's the skin fittings that give no problems that are the ones to watch out for. I've never heard it said by an "expert" but I am now wary of copper piping and seawater.

Evadne's raw water intake goes through a gate valve (bin there 45 years!) then a copper pipe swan neck. The copper pipe developed a hole last year, so now she's out of the water I thought I'd remove it where it's attached to the gate valve (apparently a compression fitting) and replace it, but instead the whole gate valve started to turn. I'm gonna have to take the whole valve off. And having done that, it would be sensible to fit a proper seacock instead .... instead of a 1' length of copper pipe [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    http://www.eoa.org.uk/

I'd far rather be happy than right.

And your point is????????

Sorry but I read about way through your one paragraph and got bored.
    --------------------
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    http://www.sailroom.co.uk <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Your a Troll, read dull, pointless. If you want a job as a forum moderator you need to write to YBW with a CV [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Default Re: \"lucky\"? (CLIFF)

Unfortunately the Dehler fitter appears to have suffered similar attention deficit as that displayed by cliff. Perhaps I should have included some pictures/cartoons to help him through !
    The point is obvious isn't it?

So you had a "problem" with a copper fitting. What do you expect? - sympathy?
    --------------------
    http://www.sailroom.co.uk <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>

put a sock in it!

That'll stop the leak

Hi Huyrob,

for my sins I am a surveyor and can catagorically state that normal thin walled domestic copper pipe should not be used in this application but often is. What you describe is not uncommon and I regularly sheer them off during routine light testing. Its performance in this application is very variable whereas copper fastenings in a wooden boat free from any fundamentally bad mixing of metals will often last 100 years.
    So if you have any change them.
    And by the way you are making an excellent point which is not obvious to many which seems like a good use of this forum to me.

What leak?
    --------------------

Cliff is right, no leak.(thankfully)
    Cliff, If i wanted sympathy i'd call the Samaritans.
    If I wanted insults I'd now pm you direct.
    If I wanted to sell "boatie bits" I'd use an outlet that had more than 7 items for sale from 35 categories!