Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Nautorius is offline Registered User

Default How big a Diesel Tank is allowed?

I have just worked out that if we all took out the rubbish from our hull space (holding tanks, generators etc) and got more diesel tanks then we could make it worthwhile to go to the CI's more often.

For instance, If I am refitting a 30 ft twin diesel shaft sportscruiser I would have gone for a standard 75 gallon (345 litres) tank. However by utilising the space under the rear berths I could put in two such tanks. Given that it has 2x70 hp engines and cruises at 10knots it might be worth a trip. However If I added another tank I would be quids in?

So is there going to be a market for those temporary tanks that we can buy, or will people not bother adding the extra tanks to take advantage? A rough cost of an extra tank plus DIY installation is about 250, or about 500 litres worth of cheaper fuel.

Then instead of nipping along the South Coast to very expensive marinas, nip accross the channel to France, get cheaper fuel (even cheaper in CI's) and booze/food etc.

In this way we just change our habbits and deprive the UK Taxman of even more revenue! So how much fuel, bought in the CI's is allowed for marine use brought back into UK?

Cheers

Paul [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Boating is the only thing that keeps me sane!

Default Re: How big a Diesel Tank is allowed?

My guess is that if its in the boat tanks it would be hard for HM Customs to do much about it - what are they going to do stop you mid-channel and do some complex calculations?
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

Bathtub diesel, smuggling etc, which is what will happen in some cases. Sad thing is it could be avoided if someone somewhere in government had some basic common sense.

nedmin is offline Registered User

I doubt if customs are interested,numerous cars come to our marina with cans and fill them with red diesel, yes they are all diesel cars.

Keep quiet man!

hlb is offline Registered User

Your a bit behind the times. I fitted a 45 gallon oil drum years ago, for trips to France. Now mainly use it so I dont have to buy fuel in rip off places.

Cost 12-50 for a reconditioned drum, BSP fittings, a few quid, inline electric pump, a few quid and a piece of pipe. Oh, and a couple of straps to hold it in place. Could fit another one or maybe two down the cellar. I was going to use second hand truck tanks, but the fittings are all wrong.45 gallon drums is easy and cheap.

When I first read this post, I was thinking that the next words would be "...in the garden".

Could I change to a central heating system powered by Red Diesel? If so, what's the max size tank I could install? (there is some space round the side of the house, or I could get a fair sized tank underneath the back lawn).

dv.

and tell me how would anyone ver know you have topped up with red?
    They wouldn't so the whole thing is open to wide abuse which is exactly what the government argued with the EU.
    The goverment should read its own submission to the EU and address the questions it raised.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

I used to have a pub that had heating fueled by red. Cant remember the exact capacity but it was about 10'x10'x5'. Needed to have retaining wall round it, but cant remember any restriction on size. I used to pay about 10p a litre (It was in the early 90's !!).
    Unfortunatly I was a jet skier at the time, so it wasnt a lot of use for the Seadoo's.
    Mark

Hmmm.

I was thinking "Central Heating Tank" plus either a very long delivery hose, or jerry cans might help ease the pain...

...of fuelling the large greenhouse heater, of course. I've heard that a large greenhouse could easily consume 1200L in a season.

dv.