Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Welcome to the Jester Challenge forum

Interestingly, risk assessments (properly, hazard identification and risk assessment - these are two distinct processes) are not a routine part of my present job, which is more concerned with dealing with the aftermath...

That said, yes, hazard and risk assessment of single-handed offshore sailing is entirely possible, though there is a paucity of data in some areas. In its most basic form, it's something that doesn't require a professional touch, and can be taught in about half an hour.

I must point out that, notwithstanding my earlier remarks, I do fully recognise the fulfillment to be gained from single-handing...
    But no pleasure is comparable to the standing upon the vantage ground of Truth.
    (Francis Bacon)

Bonjour
    I'm also a "safety man" I'm consultant in Civil Aviation safety at state and airports level.
    I'm also the skipper of Sterenn and I participated to the Jester Challene and arrived at Newport in safe condition.
    Fatigue is an issue but with preventing actions sleepping management technics... it is possible to manage it on long distance difficult sailing conditions.
    The watch may be maintained on single handed : as the killing cargo takes more than 1/2 hour to sail from the horizon to your position if you go for a watch every 1/2 hours day and night the watch is asumed. Thats what I did for 31 days.
    To be honnest I forgot to wake up a few times in the middle of the night.
    Amicalement
    Eric [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire complique ?

Bonjour
    I haven't formalized risk assessment of the Jester Challenge but the mental work has already been done to prepare Sterenn and her skipper.
    If you want we could create a special thread on the subject.
    Amicalement
    Eric
    Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire complique ?

I personally don't need the risk assesment. As far as I am concerned a person should be free to do what he/she likes, provided it doesn't hurt or unduly annoy anyone else. Live and let live!

But I would like to see what our "safety professional" makes of it. I have a feeling that sailing alone is probably less risky to your health than many other activities e.g. driving a car, walking round a British city at night, overworking, listening to politicians and worrying about health and safety!

I sail in Asian waters. I'm not sure it would stand too much risk assessment: inaccurate charts, some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world (with some of the least regulated shipping), unlit fishing fleets, six months' risk of typhoons, tsunamis, religious and political uprisings, corrupt local bureaucracy... oh, and the odd pirate. :-)LOL

Pye_End is online now Registered User

Thanks Keith / Jake for the forum. Should be most interesting and useful.

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a feeling that sailing alone is probably less risky to your health than many other activities

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't want to hijack this thread - it's not about risk assessment, but sailing!!!

However, two points: First, Twisterowner is referring to comparative risk assessment, which is another discipline, and second, I'd be happy to partake in a separate thread looking at a 'risk assessment' of single-handing.

This (non-comparative) assessment would aim to establish:

1 What are the hazards facing sailors of small craft?
    2 What are the hazards facing the single-hander in particular?
    3 How probable are these hazards to occur?
    4 How grave is the outcome?
    5 For avoidable hazards, how may they be avoided?
    6 For unavoidable hazards, what mitigation is available and is it worthwhile (bearing in mind it might bring it's own difficulties)?

So, d'accord, we might have an interesting thread... I am at your disposal.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    But no pleasure is comparable to the standing upon the vantage ground of Truth.
    (Francis Bacon)

I'm down for the Jester, and went to the Azores singlehanded about ten years ago.

Once clear of coastal waters, I slept for about eight hours each night.

If I get run down, I die. I didn't take a liferaft. I have no dependants. I think the world will be able to cope without me.

My account of the trip can be found at

http://www.channelpilot.info

Nicholas Hill

I sail single/shorthanded; have no interest in crossing oceans, but would welcome some shorter events in the spirit of the Jester Challenge, ie. no sponsorship, smaller boats etc.

I am aware of Petite Bateau events; they seem to be attracting boats generally over 40'

As a safety professional of some years and a sailor for even more years I can confirm that "Risk" is something we face when we get out of bed in the morning and forget about when we go back to bed! We face and manage risks everyday of our lives and it's only when we go to work that we suddenly get twitchy and look for some one to hold our hands. Get over it live your life and manage the daily risks as you have done since your mother let you go to school on your own.

As for the major risks involved they are 1. falling over the side, wear a harness and a life jacket. 2. Head injury from the boom, be aware of the wind and accidental gybes, use a preventor. 3. Fire and explosion from gas/spirit cookers always have a fire blanket and an extinguisher near to hand keep the cooking areas well ventilated.
    4. DiHydro monoxide(H2O) poisoning, don't inhale the water...