Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Welcome to the Jester Challenge forum

If the actually have lives [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I mean to say, handle of 'Eon' and avatars of 'Neo'. Maybe life is best left 'virtual' with not too much risk, mind you, even virtual death in the 'Matix' was real enough [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    June too soon, July stand by, August it must, September? I can never remember... But I bet it's gonna be nasty [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Don,t knock the guys who want to do it, your lot will make it illegal soon enough. Grow up and throw the shades away.

Well said, bravo, load of c..p from the risk assesors (is that how it,s spelt?). Bill.

[ QUOTE ]
    throw the shades away

[/ QUOTE ]

Only just twigged it, they must be 'peril sensitive' [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(To be fair to 'oen' have found some realistic stuff of his on the now gone UKSA thread. The man is not totally silly)
    June too soon, July stand by, August it must, September? I can never remember... But I bet it's gonna be nasty [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Noddy is offline Registered User

[ QUOTE ]
    Don,t knock the guys who want to do it, your lot will make it illegal soon enough. Grow up and throw the shades away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect that people will keep doing it even when it is illegal.

Perhaps part of the attraction is to get away from the man made twaddle and face a bit of reality.

If this is so, then the more rules and regulations that are imposed the greater the desire to do Jester type things.
    Rules are for the guidance of wise men, and the obedience of fools.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rules are the products of power-hungry bureacrats who seek to justify their own existence. 'Safety' is usually the excuse used to introduce unpopular restrictive legislation. Car seat belts, ID Cards to combat terrorism - plenty of examples to choose from.

Laws are made by politicians for whom many people have the highest contempt - and we wonder why people don't respect their laws anymore.

"Life - a sexually-transmitted condition with a 100% mortality rate."
    Enjoy it while you can.

Colin

Bonjour
    In aeronautics studies have shown that the safety level decreesed with the number of rules.
    Eric [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire complique ?

Noddy is offline Registered User

This is really about the role of rules in managing risk.

Lots of rules means that you don't have to think for yourself.

The motive behind this can either be laziness or fear.

I guess if someone is more afraid of the authority figure (punishment for transgression) than the real danger then they have 'taken their eye off the ball' so to speak. I guess this is also true if they trust that 'all is well because the rules have it covered.'

The hard bit for some is having to think for yourself as it can mean getting into conflicts.

Guidelines are better than rules.

[ QUOTE ]
    This is really about the role of rules in managing risk.
    <snip>
    Guidelines are better than rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.

A good example in support of my previous comment about 'safety' being the rationale often used by authorities to impose restrictive legislation, is the case of Sven Yrvind (Lundin), who had sailed his small boat BRIS across the Atlantic and even around Cape Horn, only to be told on his arrival in Canada that his boat was considered too small to be seaworthy (i.e. a safety issue), and he was forced to transport his boat into the USA by road in order to continue his journey.

I can understand an antagonistic attitude towards wholesale irresponsible behaviour - especially if the rescue services are likely to be involved. But when the seaworthiness of a craft has been amply demonstrated along with the seamanship of it's skipper, then I really can't see any justification for such prohibition.
    Providing a skipper is prepared to sign a disclaimer - accepting full responsibility for his (or her !) actions, then one ought to be granted the basic human right to risk injury or death - providing of course that this doesn't impinge on anyone else's right to safety and security in the process.
    Isn't this right automatically granted to mountain climbers, pot-holers, hang-glider pilots, free-fall parachutists and the like ?

Colin