Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Default Re: Welcome to the Jester Challenge forum

If you are at the back you can be the safety boat!
    Rules are for the guidance of wise men, and the obedience of fools.

I am interested in taking part however although my boat is only 30ft loa it has davits and a bowsprit that make it 36ft loa is it still eligible. (It isnt high tech its a 44 year old maurice griffiths water witch. it hasnt got any guard rails or a pulpit either or electronics. and its wood

Meldrum,

The Jester Challenge has no rules. And although some skippers that have nominated would not welcome a large boat, speaking for myself your boat at 30ft plus bowsprit and bumkin would be more than welcome. Contact Ewen Southby-Tailyour using the JC website and I'm sure you will receive the same answer. There is also a Yahoo Group for Jester Challenge participants and their friends and I'm sure there you would receive the same answer. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jesterchallenge/ You will need to ask to join this group to ask a question however. but that is not very hard and you will not get knocked back.
    Our next race leaves on 31 May from Plymouth so you will need to move fast relatively.
    John Apps

Hi folks...just a wee question....would an Elizabethan 31 (1966)..be eligable ??, for 2010 ?,at obviously just over 30 feet. thanks, Chaps.

Couldn't imagine there would be any problem at all. There were several 31 footers in the JAC 08. Go for it!

Roger

Default I am new...

I have alot of question, I am hoping to sail in the 2012 race but for sure the 2014, I have been around boats small trimarans monohulls. I am planing on getting a 22' boat soon and get it out fitted for crossing the Atlantic, my first big question is navigation, I will start classes soon for celestrial navigaton, what do you who have crossed the atlantic use, GPS, or less hight tech?

Default Re: I am new...

Bonsoir
    i had 4 GPS on board. Two were boat batterie dependant and 2 spears were fully independant.
    I think that gives a sufficient redundancy to forget any other navigation means.
    Offshore a single daily fix is more than sufficient.
    Eric
    Pourquoi faire simple quand on peut faire complique ?

Default Re: Jester what me.

Am I the first Jester to be in the jester challenge?

http://www.gbenson.talktalk.net/fuzzy/Photos/photos.htm

Look at Angus McLaugh [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Default China Blue

Having just completed 2500 crewed miles in my own boat I had the pleasure of meeting Tim Mc Cloy last weekend and spending a couple of hours on China Blue. I was so impressed with the inginuity of design and strength by simplicity of Tims boat that reading the comments of the H & S department is just irritating.
    Fair winds to all the entrants and I only wish I had the guts, and a smaller boat, to do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ;1237391
    [ QUOTE ]
    Rules are for the guidance of wise men, and the obedience of fools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rules are the products of power-hungry bureacrats who seek to justify their own existence. 'Safety' is usually the excuse used to introduce unpopular restrictive legislation. Car seat belts, ID Cards to combat terrorism - plenty of examples to choose from.

Laws are made by politicians for whom many people have the highest contempt - and we wonder why people don't respect their laws anymore.

"Life - a sexually-transmitted condition with a 100% mortality rate."
    Enjoy it while you can.

Colin

Rules are for the GUIDANCE of wise men and the OBEDIENCE of fools, (said by someone wiser than me)
    The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast