Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

How observant am I??? "In June 2008, the race is from Plymouth to the Azores" the very first thread... sorry.
    Will this same route be, in the years to come?
    I could see my self taking part.

2008 Azores
    2010 America
    2012 Azores
    2014 America..............and so on!

oki... thanks. then my 2014 will be cancelled. Will I make it to the 2012..hm.
    Would be an adventure for life.
    Any tip. of the needs and "must" list? links and so... would be appriciated. Latest day for reg.?

Quote Originally Posted by evantica View Post
    oki... thanks. then my 2014 will be cancelled. Will I make it to the 2012..hm.
    Would be an adventure for life.
    Any tip. of the needs and "must" list? links and so... would be appriciated. Latest day for reg.?
    I would go through all the pages on here (the jester forum) to start with,and look at the threads that might be of interest to you, and then if you have questions on a particular thread, just ask your questions there, or start a new thread.

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat in Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by evantica View Post
    Latest day for reg.?
    Be on the start line on 27 May 2012 off Plymouth.
    Peter. Formerly known as Alchemist V274.

Default I bet the jester's not joking.

I'm thinking of giving this a go. I'm wondering how many boats take part? Roughly how long does it take to get to the Azores? I've done a fair bit of single handed sailing but never more than four days alone before touching shore. What happens if you can't hack it? Do you just do a Crowhurst?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma Bum View Post
    I'm thinking of giving this a go. I'm wondering how many boats take part? Roughly how long does it take to get to the Azores? I've done a fair bit of single handed sailing but never more than four days alone before touching shore. What happens if you can't hack it? Do you just do a Crowhurst?!!
    The number of boats is variable as there are three categories: 1 those who nominate, 2 those who start, 3 those who finish. In 2008 we had 42 starters and 28 finishers.

It's about two weeks to the Azores Depending on the wind. You do catch some good northerlies and the Portuguese current to help you down. Teceira is a wonderful island and is one of 9 great islands. It will also take about 2 weeks to get back. Firstly you've got to go north to get out of the still air in the Azores High and then catch the westerlies back to the UK.

I rather like the doing a Crowhurst idea as an option. But you could always call into Spain around La Coruna if you feel you can't hack it rather than take a shallow dive off the back of the boat.
    John Apps

Quote Originally Posted by Glayva View Post
    The number of boats is variable as there are three categories: 1 those who nominate, 2 those who start, 3 those who finish. In 2008 we had 42 starters and 28 finishers.

It's about two weeks to the Azores Depending on the wind. You do catch some good northerlies and the Portuguese current to help you down. Teceira is a wonderful island and is one of 9 great islands. It will also take about 2 weeks to get back. Firstly you've got to go north to get out of the still air in the Azores High and then catch the westerlies back to the UK.

I rather like the doing a Crowhurst idea as an option. But you could always call into Spain around La Coruna if you feel you can't hack it rather than take a shallow dive off the back of the boat.
    Thanks for your reply. What happened to those that start and don't finish? Do they just turn tail and head back to Plymouth or do they get abducted by aliens? I imagine there's a point of no return where you might as well try and keep going as head back to Plymouth or to Spain if things go wrong? My boat (Contessa 32) is fairly well equiped with self steer windvane, wind generator and a liferaft/grab bag. Any tips on what might be regarded as essential for this trip?

I would suggest just the will to do it is the main essential - if you have that the rest will come......

I'm aiming to be on the startline in 2016.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma Bum View Post
    What happened to those that start and don't finish? Do they just turn tail and head back to Plymouth or do they get abducted by aliens?
    A few boats never make it out of the Chanel, either through gear failure or the skipper's unfamiliarity with ocean sailing. Some get past Ushant and then make for northern France. So far to my knowledge we have had none abducated by Aliens.

The ability to make the voayge is dependent on two things. One is the boat and more importantly the spares and tools that are carried to fix those things that will break. Secondly the skipper and his/her ability to exist in the conditions and his/her determination to continue despite the conditions, and his/her ability to fix things that they neve imagined would go wrong and don't have the correct tools and/or parts to fix [see my tool list in my signature block :-)].

A Contessa 32 is more than capable of making the journey. The essentials are food and water, spares, tools, some means of finding the Azores [charts, navigation eqpt], and items to make you visible to other boats so that they try not to run you down [I like passive radar reflectors that work and a good LED tricolour]. You may need some money in the Azores if you intend to stay in the Marina [cheap, but anchoring off is cheaper] or join in eating and drinking with other skippers.

One thing with self steer windvanes is that some of them are effective and some are quite useless. I believe based on anecdotal evidence that more single handed skippers fail to complete voyages because of the failure of self steering than any other item that is likely to break. Most self steering will go wrong at some point, some at purpose built weak points that usually make it an easy fix others at critical points that make it difficult to fix. So basically what I am saying is there are windvanes that work and those that don't.
    John Apps

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast