Default Making a gasket for a water pump.

My water pump has no gasket. Is there something special about the gaskets you buy? or can I just cut one to shape out of a cornflakes box, or smear the surfaces with something gooey?

Default Re: Making a gasket for a water pump.

Go to your local motor factors and buy a sheet of gasket paper. Should cost about 1. Get pump place paper over side that gasket is required for. Get a small hammer or something with a bit of weight to tap around the appertures. Hey presto you've made a gasket.

In the past I've made gaskets this way out of heavy lining paper and plain wall paper. 'Cause it's a water pump the gasket material should be waterproof. Have fun...worst scenario is it doesnt work first time..try again with something else....Ohh and I don't think a Cornflakes box will work.

Regards,

Clyde

I have found that the round end of a ball pein hammer works best for me.
    Stan

The important thing for a water pump gasket is that it is the correct thickness.

It is quite easy to make gaskets. But it could be difficult to make one for a water pump unless you had some material the same thickness as the old gasket.

As has been said, you would probably get some gasket paper from a motor factor.

Certainly better than a corn flake packet.

Iain

Rowana is offline Two steps lower than the ships' cat

As Iain says, getting the correct thickness is the key. I simply bought one along with a new impellor.

Jabsco part number 2995-0030 for my engine - Beta 13.5hp
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

Admiralty charts are usually the exact thickness required for paper gaskets. Having said that, water pump gaskets are usually somewhat thinner than a chart. Parcel wrapping paper is about right.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

My jabsco impellor came c/w gasket. Something you can't say for the Yanmar equivalent, which is some 20% more expensive. Yanmar's price for the gasket was around 2.00. For 2.00 it's really not worth the guddle of removing the pump and using it as a template, never mind finding the right thickness of gasket paper (I might think differently were I contemplating a transat or RTW voyage, but I'm not....actually I think I'd Pack a few spares).

In a similar vien, I dropped one of the 4mm engineering screws in my bilge when replacing the impellor (2nd time in 2 years). I keep a spare or two on board, but am seriously considering the replacement cover with the "O" ring and knurled knuts. The job'd be a real barsteward at sea.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

I use plain A4 printer paper for my water pump gaskets - it's just the right thickness for small pumps.

andy_wilson is offline Registered User

Cornflakes box willbe too thick and prevent the pump from priming and or delivering the intended pressure.

A boat names / grapgics person based in Wales sent me a bag full of gaskets for my Volvo / Johnson water pump cover.

These were cut from Admiralty charts by his laser cutter.