Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fitting an aux. outboard to a Fletcher 19 GTS

I thought I'd post this question on the vague offchance that someone on the forum has tried this before. I've got a Fletcher 19 GTS with an inboard Mercruiser 4.3. I've also got a 5HP outboard that I want to use as a wing motor, but the problem is I can't find any kind of mounting bracket that will work with the boat.

The boat has a built in bathing platform, that is too thick to mount a bracket on and the transom is set too far back to fit one there.

Anyone tried this before?

Thanks for any ideas.
    Today's Weather Forecast: Scorchio.

Geoffs is offline Registered User

Default Re: Fitting an aux. outboard to a Fletcher 19 GTS

I've certainly seen them, but don't know details. I know where there are some, so will have a look this weekend and report back, unless anyone beats me to it.

Great boat by the way, you probably know trhat. I had one for 8 years and have moved on. But sometimes I wonder if it is a move on. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'

scej is offline Registered User
    Location : Back in Poole, delivering boats for a living and also teaching for various companies in the area

There was a bracket made by fletcher for this boat bu it was pants I know i tryed to fit one!!!!!!!

The best wat that i found to fit a outboard bracket to the 19GTS was to have an Lshaped brackt fabricated with a peice of ply wood bolted to it. to fit the bracket (this is the fiddly bit) you will need to get a Ply backing piece for the bolts that you use to bolt it to the platform which you will need to drill off before you attempt too fit. Purchase a 4/5" round inspection hatch decide where the bracket will be fitted and cut the hole for the inspection hatch drill the holes for the bracket, now for the tricky part you have to get your backing pad into the cavity from the engine compartment and manouvere it into place and then bolt the whole lot in place not easy. but when it is done it swhould work. I think that Poole boat park may have the stainless bracket around somewhere as i had a few of these made when i was there speak to Graham he should know where to locate them.

Have fun

Alistairr is offline Registered User

We had a Fletcher 19 GTO, I know not the same back end but our boat had this fitted on its stern .

Worked very well, not sure if it would fit yours though, i'm trying to remember what the back of the GTS looks like.

Cheers

Al.

[ QUOTE ]
    I had one for 8 years and have moved on. But sometimes I wonder if it is a move on. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    You not happy with the Larson Geoff?
    We moved from having 2 cuddies to a Sealine cruiser, and have never really settled with it, with i'd never sold our last cuddy.

Cheers

Al.

Al his boat has a bathing platform

cheers Joe
    "It was the crew's fault"

I have been toying with the same problem for my Fletcher. My current thinking is to make a pad to clamp on the bathing ladder. I would keep the engine in 1 of the lockers and only fit it if a had a problem. Was going to have a play around making a prototype in the morning.

I would of course upgrade the backing pad and fixings for the ladder, but since it is quite happy with my rather large frame swinging off it, I cant see a problem with my 4hp.

Mark
    Mark

Yes, i noticed he said that, but as far as i can remember the built in platform is pretty short with a verticle panel underneath it that the bracket could possibly be mounted too, maybe he will post a pic to clarify.

Cheers

Al.

Thanks for all the replies (out on the boat all day yesterday enjoying the fantastic sunny weather).

Here is a pic of a GTS showing the back of the boat. As you can see the transom is set too far back to be of use, so the type of bracket suggested by Al can't readily be fitted anywhere.

The bathing platform is really the only place you can mount a right angle bracket, but the problem with it is getting access - the platform is about 2 inches thick, is hollow and is only accessible internally through the engine compartment (over and behind the engine); tricky.

I'll try Poole Boat Park and see if they have any brackets.

I like Mark's suggestion of making a pad to go on the bathing ladder - that may well be a solution. Mark - please let me know how you get on with this.

Tony
    Today's Weather Forecast: Scorchio.

I have exactly the same set up as you. I have looked at the problem for nearly 6 months now and I always come up with the same roadblock-how the heck do I get round, over or past the 4.3litre lump and squeeze my pudgy hand into a 2" gap [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I will let you know how the prototype goes.

Mark
    Mark