Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Default Sports cruisers what a cafuffall

Skippered for the owner of an Atlantis 47 on Saturday on his first charter.
    First major obstacle engine checks. Cant possibly get to the dip sticks to check oil, have to remove the bloomin tender from the garage.

Bear in mind we are stern too out here. Would'nt like to have a major hose failure whilst going along in big seas, imagine launching the tender off the aft end, bugger all to hang on to etc, need I say more. Why do they build boats like this?

Anyway accelerate up to 16-18 knts and forward sun bed flys over the top (he had not fastened it properly) recovered that.

The owner had taken the front cover off so I could see over the screen. No point trying to look through a serverly raked tinted screen, whos idea was that design I wonder?

Anyway get to 22 knts he then has to hang on to the front of the bimini to stop it taking off. Stop to remove entire covers whatta cafuffall.

Going into westerly 3 couple of feet of chop chines sending up the odd bit a spray.
    Knowing is gets worse around the ligthouse at Gib suggest the folks go below, they decline, we all get soaked. Would not have liked it in UK in March hypothemia springs to mind.

Spent the rest of the day soaking in salt water. Give me my fly any day.

Default Re: Sports cruisers what a cafuffall

Pipe, slippers? maybe............ [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

mikef is offline Registered User

Agree with you completely. I've no idea why so many peeps buy sportscruisers rather than flybridge boats especially in the UK. I mean, do peeps actually like getting a face full of sea water every time they go over a wave, freezing to death due to windchill, huddling in a dingy dark coal hole of a saloon and then when it's all over, fighting with a canopy for half an hour. I guess some peeps do.
    Yup I guess nautical will be on here soon explaining how his Italian stallions have perfect engine access despite the tender garage but the fact is that on most boats with a tender garage, you need to be a double jointed dwarf to get to the engines without removing the tender. I speak from personal experience with a Targa 48
    Then there'll be somebody on soon telling us that hardtop sportscruisers are the answer but they why not put some seats on top and have some extra loafing space and a better view
    Flybridges rule

[ QUOTE ]
    Flybridges rule

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh goody, a flybridge Vs sportscruisers debate.

Have to agree (natch) that fbrdge is far superior. Sportsboats are really just big jetskis aren't they?
    Charter Blackfeather here
    http://www.blackfeatherboatcharter.com/

LittleShip is offline Registered User

"Ooh goody, a flybridge Vs sportscruisers debate."

A debate maybe............ a competition, ....never, flybridge every time! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yes, totally agree.
    Why, here's a sculpture of a hardy soul out on his sportsboat.

And before any of you sports boat johnnies say that only old farts have Fly bridge boats here's a picture of myself to disprove your theory.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Well where do I start?......

Flybridges are lardy @rse for one, once past 40' you might as well be driving a tractor, a blunt instrument pretending to be all swish and glamourous but in reality a very argicultural machine for the job, fine if you want to plod along ala caravan on its way to skegness but if you have a bit of youth left in you you'd probably die of boredom along the way.

All that extra glass and upper works takes its toll on handling and performance, they handle about as well as a John Deer XS Super Plough, you need mucho bigger motors to shift it at any reasonable speed and then its generally all tractor parts and shafts and P brackets and rudders and power sapping monster gearboxes.

Most trim at cruising speed with the nose heading to the moon so in really bad stuff you can't see diddly 100 yards in front so tend to bounce and crash into everything instead of nimbly scooting round the worst bits. Flybridge people tend to be sopping wet when the weather is foul coming into port as you have to drive the thing up top to see anything.

Of course many say 'oh yes you can have wind in hair feeling by being up top when the weather is fine'...tosh, the screens are so pathetic you are blasted like having your head in a Dyson on steriods and then when you are up there tis like being perched on top of a very wobbly pogo stick all rock and roll.

Getting up and down the steps to the fly bit in real rock and roll stuff is hideous all white knuckle butt clenching scary pants stuff.

Then there is the noise factor, a well honed and engineered sports cruiser say mid forty foot on them super economical grippy DPH legs is whisper quiet and silky smooth, in a flybridge its like and earth mover coming through the floor.

Most horrible bit on flybridges is for the poor peeps sitting below in the saloon in bad weather while bashing along, they can't see diddly squat out the front and are relegated to watching the drapes waggling about and the chandlier clinkity clinking.

Lastly, cost, a 45 foot well screwed togther flybridge is going to cost you a least a 100k more than a similar quality and size sports cruiser and cost anything up to 50% more in fuel to go slower.

Is'nt it gutting watching them sports cruisers flying past having a whale of a time, going faster, quieter, on half the fuel and for 100k less than you?.....er....no, because most flybridge owners have lost the will to live, they are beige shower proofed M&S golf jacketed, hush puppy'd, Farah trouser'd wearing wimps a couple of years away from Sunset retirement village.

Oh yes indeedy, we all know a flybridger, can be spotted in Asda carpark in his oh so nice gold mercedes E series (not too flash a one though, has to be the middle of the road one, you know the one that really isn't good at anything in particular) with beige interior waiting for the little woman to trolly the weekly shopping back.

How opportune that my new office comes with a bomb shelter [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Alistairr is offline Registered User

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Brilliant,
    Well said Trev!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Al.

"Then there is the noise factor, "
    __________________________________________________ ____________

*******s on my flybridge noise levels are minimal, you can have a good conversation, and listen to the archers on the wireless at the same time :~)

Went on my friends Targa 37 recently his mate spent all day standing up trying to see over the screen getting mouthfulls of sea water, we spent all day as far aft as possible to try and escape the sea water thundering over the top, but had to spend the time shouting at each other over the noise of the ruddy engines to attempt conversation.

You said it mate, got the wrong sports cruiser [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]