Default are you bieng overcharged

The EA charge according to the size of your boat, normaly the overall length quoted by the builder is used.

But this is wrong as they should charge you the by the HULL length.

I had a Birchwood which is listed as 10.05m, but the hull length is below 10m.
    To cut a very long story short I won the fight, and the Anglian EA accepted that hull length was to be used, but did they tell you?

I know this will only affect a small percentage of people but if it helps one person get a reduction I will be pleased, but I will only be happy when BW are given all the waters. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Andrew_Fanner is offline Registered User

Default Re: are you bieng overcharged

The regs say that EA can measure your boat if they like, but the implication why they would want to is, of course, the exact opposite reason. IMO the biggest scam remains tenders, which get minimal use but are boned by a ludicrous minimum charge. I reckon that a registered tender, marked with the name of the mother ship, should be covered by a nominal 10 on the mothership's licence, if not simply free.
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Brayman is offline Registered User

Default Re: are you bieng overcharged

It should be free. FREE

Default I agree - Free

I wonder how many tenders are in fact registered; most spend their lives on davits and if not used no fee is payable; but do folk actually pay??

I do, but then it's too big to hang up.

SimonA is offline Registered User

Default Re: I agree - Free

[ QUOTE ]
    I wonder how many tenders are in fact registered; most spend their lives on davits and if not used no fee is payable; but do folk actually pay??

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine spends it's life on the roof of the aft cabin. The kids might use it once a year in the marina.

But on the Gt Ouse (and Nene) the rules are different to the Thames and marinas are classed as part of the river.

Brayman is offline Registered User

I used to have one on the davits and licensed but I found we hardley ever used it so I sold it. Now always sorry at Henley Music Festival time but I least I don't get shut out of locks so often now.

Mine's on davits and as the kids like to play with it when we moor up I have to license it. We moor on the Wey, boat on Wey and Thames so it's two licenses - on the Wey it's classed as a portable but on the Thames it's a "launch" and has the full, expensive, licence.

I agree with Brayman, for something spending probably 10 hours a year on licensed waters it's another rip-off and as a bona-fide tender should be licensed in with the parent craft. What they will probably do then of course is up the main craft license by another 50%.
    I used to think wives and boats were a financial drain on one's resources, but that was before the kids became teenagers.