Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Unaccompanied viewing of brokerage boats

Looking at boats both on the south coast & the Thames recently.......at several Thames brokers,were slightly surprised to be given several bunches of keys, and left to get on with it (they asked for our telephone number). this is convenient for us as buyers:

but what do sellers think? does the "free" berth while you're selling make up for loads of people tramping around your boat each weekend? Has anyone ever had anything go missing/get broken?.
    Or is it not ideal, but unavoidable if you want to sell the thing?

Default Re: Unaccompanied viewing of brokerage boats

IMHO, theres no way a broker should let anyone just go and have a look unsupervised, they could walk off with anything and who's to say the telephone number is real, a recipe for disaster!

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

I reckon your including Penton Hook. I bought both my boats from them (P32, Crown37) and on each occasion
    I was given keys to serval boats to view on my own or just with the wife. I think your point about the free berth
    is most valid.

"The Med is calling me"

All the time that I have spent looking at boats over the last year, this seems to be common practice at all the brokers we have been to except Peter's who have a policy that no one goes on a boat without being accompanied.
    Many boats we have seen from other brokers have had lockers full of gore tex waterproofs, handheld gps's e.t.c.
    Also if you are on the Hamble or somewhere with nil locks, what is to stop you taking the boat, the engine keys are usually in the boat or on the key rings!!
    Brokers should really address this issue

Moose

ari is online now Registered User

Very bad broker practise. They certainly don't all do this!

Ari.

Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Hi
    When i first viewed the boat i bought i was accompanied, but the times after that i wasnt, i dont see a problem with this if you take away anything that can be stolen, and who realy wants to look round a boat cluttered with your personal effects .It also gives you time to sit down ,look hard and think about what you are going to spend your money on .
    Dave.

One big difference, Dave, you are not a thief! Also it was your second visit, so you were maybe serious and the broker has had a chance to verify that your phone number is real and/or he can make a judgement as to your honesty, but the first time, no way! If I wanted to rob a boat, or steal it, I would come once to suss everthing out, then come back and steal everything or steal the boat, when I'd made arrangements of where to take it. or leave the boat open, to come back later! No I'm not a thief either, nor stupid!

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Imho i would not like all unsundry climbing all over my boat and think this practice is appalling.Ive been to loads of brokers yards recently and in one there were folks there who i,am sure were on a day out,with 3/4 kids who were going from boat to boat climbing all over them in full view of the brokerage staff.....noooo not for me i think i,ll sell privately not paying for nothing

http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/stamfordian

Got to say I think its a bloody good idea, I always go round all the marinas at the start of the season looking at the boats for sale so I can stock up on the bits I need!!!!!!!!

Default Pilfering

I'm with Stamfordian on this - I got my current boat from a very large brokerage, in fact I think they say they are the biggest, and I saw exactly the same thing - kids swarming everywhere, hatches, windows etc left open and so on (though to be fair, it won't be the kids pinching stuff so much as adults) . In between me buying the boat and getting it delivered, someone made off with the fire extinguishers. As the brokerage is several hundred miles fromwhere I live, I could not just nip back down and remove all "removables" once my offer was accepted. - The extinguishers are not a huge thing in the scale of things I suppose, but of course replacing them was yet more money. It would be interesting to know how much petty theft of that sort goes on.

Equally, it has to be said, I find nothing worse than a hovering salesman if I'm looking at a boat, car or whatever and it was good to be able to wander round without being hassled.... Perhaps there needs to be a happy medium somewhere?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/boaty1965/index.htm