Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Default Re: Aqua-Star Watch this Space

Just for starters:-
    #1. A good demisting system for the lower helm - or at least have power points there to run an oscillating fan heater.

2. 4Kw Inverter - very handy for cups of tea running the odd fan heater etc all whilst at sea with no gene going.

3. Radio controlled bow/stern control - very handy indeed - can be fitted to most makes at a cost of £250

4. Inverter mains sockets throughout the boat - in galley, bedroom for hair dryer etc.

5. Halyard universal coupling on shafts to stop all the alignment issues over time.

6. Memory foam mattresses for al beds.

7. Your compass swung to within a degree of accuracy..... it can be done and should be speced with the boat.

8. Camaers to engine room, rear etc to be shown on any chart plotter

I could go on and on ..... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

[ QUOTE ]
    2. 4Kw Inverter - very handy for cups of tea running the odd fan heater etc all whilst at sea with no gene going.

4. Inverter mains sockets throughout the boat - in galley, bedroom for hair dryer etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

and if you plan to have the fridge/icemaker from the inverter, some kinda auto load switching so don't have to trudge to switch one thing off to use another

mikef is offline Registered User

To gludy's list I would add

-Built in dehumidifier with timer control
    -Sprung rather than foam mattress if possible with a slat system underneath for aeration as mattresses can get pretty damp on boats
    -If you intend staying for longer on your boat, a washer/dryer is useful and so is a dishwasher
    -fresh water flushed toilets as seawater flushed toilets smell after a while
    -winches on both rear quarters for stern to Med mooring

Most of all, I would think about oversizing things like the gennie, aircon, pasarelle, bowthruster etc as there is nothing worse than paying for something which does'nt quite work

I would also think carefully about the design of any lazarette or storage space particularly if you want to carry large items like bikes or golf clubs

Errm, a gimbaled gas stove with pan clamps so that you can always cook, even under way..?

No, sorry, they're just not an option on mobos any more!!!

(I speak from bitter experience of long passages on a boat with one of those lovely halogen hobs and no pan clamps - despite its 36 hour endurance at displacement speeds. When the genny failed leaving port, we had to knuckle down to a long day and a half without even a cup of tea...)

So, a CSD-driven 240V alternator on one of the propulsion engines should go on that list too.
    But no pleasure is comparable to the standing upon the vantage ground of Truth.
    (Francis Bacon)

[ QUOTE ]
    So, a CSD-driven 240V alternator on one of the propulsion engines should go on that list too.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep and would run the snazzy gyro stabiliser w/o a genny, hmm except at anchor eh.

but of course a good sized inverter & giant 24V alt would cover the hob/microwave anyway. Mastervolt do some biggies, or Victron do some that can be synced together to make one huge output, even as 3-phase.

Thanks All - Keep them comming

have to say I found Gludy's aircon ever so noisy, but dunno if typical, and Glenn, I guess you have it on the fairline?

so a much quieter aircon for heating/cooling or diesel, wd be on my list.

back to thrusters - most 24V units ( well Vetus as I have) will run for 5mins ok and if sized right are very powerful( esp with newer prop design) so I'd check the price electr vs hydraulic myself. Gludys hydraulic ones were powerful, but needed fast idle to be really useful, which err wasn't so useful after all. Aquastar may do it better.

Oh, and hand-laid grp all thick & marvellous isn't necess that clever really. A pals Nauticat sailer had a prang ( well, many, but another story that is) and in process of repair a layer of totally dry glass cloth was found in the middle of the lay-up.

ooh, and an eng room safe to enter underway is good - eg some guard or rails by spinny things like shafts & huge flexi couplings. and fuel changeover valves in easy reach, pref outside the eng room.

I would add a fuel scrubber - some nice compact ones around and high on the list if you dio any seriuos cruising.
    Paul
    St Francis 50 Cat
    http://www.multihulls4us.com

Hurricane is offline Registered User

Not sure what all the fuss is over inverters.
    I'm sure there are many other important things that come in above an inverter.
    Using a 4KW unit - yes you could boil a kettle - but just think of the drain on the batteries if you used it without the engines running.
    Normally, the generators are remote starting/stopping and it is a very simple matter of starting it to boil a kettle.
    However, I would consider a separate (very low power usage) inverter circuit - mainly for electronic equipment but be sure to match the design output with your connected load - it isnt any good having a 4KW inverter and just running a TV with it - I've done this before and it doesnt work - the ones I've used require about 30% load to operate - maybe I'm wrong with the latest designs but I think you have to ve very specific what you want to run on an inverted. Couple that, with the load on your service batteries and I'd prefer to run the generator.

Gludy's comfortable beds come before the inverter IMHO.

However I like mikef's list
    [ QUOTE ]
    Built in dehumidifier with timer control

[/ QUOTE ] The portable humidifier has been the best thing that we have ever bought for our boat. Why oh why dont manufactures fit them as standard - the whole boat benefits and feels dry when you arrive after a long spell.