Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mojomo Update

Default Fish, breadmaking, forecasts, eggwhisks

Friday 4th May 2am local, 7am BST.

Wind got up a few hours ago and now sailing at 6-8 knots, much better.
    Position 32deg 05N 54deg 15W. Course is 80degrees T, which aims us a bit south of azores and easier wind, according to the forecast. Horta, azores is 1350ish miles away, so probly more that a week, less than 10 days. Under sail at night the boat feels very fast and restless, as though it's doing over 100mph, not 7-8 knots. Turned the engine off and pwc/paddy woke up.

PWC says that in the last email I got a bit too philosophical, and I was also bit horrid about Raymarine whereas in actuality they are jolly helpful people. So, sorry about that and I'll try to be nicer.

How to catch a fish: get the fishing gear out that someone bought for you, and ask someone else (like Para, for example) to help sort it all out, please. With any luck he will hand you back a loaded fishing rod. Follow his instructions about putting the thing in the sea, letting it go etc. A bit later, the reel makes the whizzing noise, you wind it in, and the same kind chap may also use the big spiked hook to get the fish aboard, and then he cleans and guts the fish too. Somehow, it is still counted as "you" catching this fish. However, it may take you quite some time and many failed attempts to find people like Para.

Stll with no fish, Paddy says he is plotting to chuck all the fishing gear overboard - it took me one hour to get a catch and he didn't get a thing for almost a week! Tee hee. Actually, he approves of the sawn-of fishing rod, and says it is "proper Essex", which is where he's from. We have agreed that henceforth the sawn-off fishing rod is to be called Big Vern.

After the excitement of the new fish had died down, Para offered that he would be happy to show the rest of us how to make bread, and paddy and I were very enthusiastic. LJS said he'd sit in as well, but only because there weren't any Country Dancing classes. Para is jolly good at the bread making, and none of us laughed when the flour blew in his face or when top of the salt came off and loads of salt everywhere. He invited questions as the demo proceeded, so pwc asked - Why did the baker have stinky hands? Because he "needed" a poo. Hah!

Parabread is 500g plain flour, 1.5 tsp salt, 25g butter, 1.25tsp packet yeast, 300ml lukewarm water, mix/bash/knead that lot ten minutes, into the tin, let it rise 2 hours and then 25 minutes in oven at gas mark 8.

We get the weather forecasts from our Iridium satphones. Alright, they're not actually our phones, forumites "fatipa" and "chris_e" very very kindly let us borrow them. Oh, and when I say "we" get the forecasts I mean that para gets them, cos (along with the bread making) he spent ages before the trip working out how to do the fiddly datacalls that ask a distant computer in America to send back an email with the small bit of weather forecast area we want. Now though, having been shown how to do it about eight times, I can send emails and get forecasts as well.

Paddy on mother duty yesterday made excellent steaks for dinner. Bit of a loose end after that, so I offered to have a go at making Zabaglione for dessert. Nobody knew what this was, and so para checked with me if (regardlesswhatever the dessert might be) - would it have a bit of alcohol in it? And I confirmed that yes, of course it would, but not too much though. So the project won unanimous support.

I almost came unstuck as hand beating egg yolks with a fork is nearly impossible. So paddy helped me by sawing kitchen fork in half, and with the aid of the Bosch drill and business end of half-fork as drillbit, we had an egg whisk. Bit overpowered but very effective. The zabaglione was fab. For cooks amongst you, I used rum and sugar syrup instead of Marsala wine. For engineers amongst you, it's a Bosch PSB 650 RA with keyless chuck.

That's enough for now. Oh, and look - I know these emails might make it seem one long hoot, but we're doing al the serious safety stuff too, with harnesses, planning, forecasting and checking things, just like in the worrisome yottie books and the duller weblogs. I've only written about the fun stuff.

Bit more sailing coming up so I/we might not be able to write every day.

tcm

Default Re: Fish, breadmaking, forecasts, eggwhisks

Brilliant. Keep it coming even if you have to stop writing it.

(I know TCM won't actually see that comment, but I feel it was worth voicing anyhoo)
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

The issue about 'other folks' who can not help with fishing will be duly addressed when 'Europe' is sighted.

In my defence :

Suffice to stay that one's pupils need to have the attendance-span of >10 seconds. A luxury that Para has by default.

Fair Winds My Friends

[ QUOTE ]
    Brilliant. Keep it coming even if you have to stop writing it.

(I know TCM won't actually see that comment, but I feel it was worth voicing anyhoo)

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunce.

What I meant to say was, Keep it coming, even if you have to stop to write it.
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

I think tcm is turning out to be a bit of an Ellen Macarthur. I expect we'll soon have rambling emails about huge scary waves, frustrating flat calm seas and looming madness. All interspersed wth "I thought I was going to die", "I'm so scared", "this is so scary", "I've never been so scared", "The fish para caught was so scary, it really was so scary", "I'm really getting worried", "the worry is beginning to kick in", "I fell out of my bunk and now feel like I've been given a kicking", "Words cannot describe how I feel", "I haven't slept for 92 days", "I'm really nervous", "I can't sleep", "It's all too scary for me"...

...erm I think I should go into hiding now :-)
    No1_Moose

Well he did have a bit of a haircut. As long as he doesn't start weeping. Never makes good TV.

BTW Where is the Channel 4 film crew sleeping? And Kirsty Alsop?

They did sign a Relocation Relocation Relocation deal, didn't they?
    Another person's thoughts about you are outside of your jurisdiction.

Parabread made me giggle - especially the bit with the salt. Whatever you do don't let him near the horseradish - Muzzy's bum is only just getting to the point where he can cack solid after 8 months.
    Claymore

6th May Sundays Log

Update from TCM - and LJS's Bank Holiday Pop Quiz.

Sunday 6th May 8am local, midday BST, 34deg 02N, 48deg 67 W, COG around 70T towards Horta just under 1,000 miles away at 5.5 knots, motoring with 5-8 knots wind dead astern. Nice sunny morning after soggy weather overnight.

I really am the ideal skipper for this trip - twin diesels, loads of fuel on board - and then being very stingy about using it. We've slowed a bit cos I backed off to 1800 rpm overnight to make sure the juice alone will get us there. The flippin forecasts are constantly promising wind in a couple of days time, then the patterns change a little bit and - no wind. Nice and sunny though, and I have told the guys that this is easily the most scenic route with no nasty icebergs. We goosewinged with jib and gennaker yesterday, great fun, reached 7 knots.

Each crewmember stands watch in their own particular style. Para seems luckier than most of us with the wind (or probably just better at sailing catamarans) and writes interesting comments in the log such as "whoever is nicking the pencils - stop it!". LJS's watch is orderly and calm, with all the ropes left smartly coiled. All hell breaks loose on pwc's watch - last night he had five exploding ships on the horizon (probably a bit of distant lightning), a whale under the boat (more likely a flukey sonar reading off colder water 12m down), dozens of incoming torpedoes (radar tracks from other boats) and an end-of-the- world scenario as a giant meteor cruised across the sky (actually the moon rising, reflecting red from sunset with a trailing cloud).

We've had a bit of wildlife visit us. As well the (enforced and reluctant) visit of our two fish, a seabird of some sort patrols the surface every day just after dawn, and dolphins enjoy jostling under the bows. A few whales turned up once, so I quickly turned the engine on to make sure none of them became too amorous with the boat. And yesterday pwc says he also saw a large turtle swim westwards right past the boat. Yeah, right - more likely it was an old cardboard box. Poor old pwc got the local time adjustment wrong too - he thought it would make my three hour watch into four hours like his last transat with the ARC - but this direction the clocks adjust the other way and made it only two hours. Doh!

Excellent boat with few if any gear problems: the potato peeler has lost its blade, and we're running short of cigarette lighters. I found a busted clothes peg yesterday but managed to re-assemble it, so at least that can be ticked off the list. The radar has clened up its act since we started to keep the radar pic on the screen, rather than the chart-radar overlay. Error in gosub I expect. The shaky stbd rudder means that we run only on port engine - 125 hours so far means engine on for over five whole days out of just under nine.

I have to give a (serious, real) thank you to Bill Bullimore of Patrick Boyd Multihulls in Gosport, who has given useful advice to people ashore helping us. I think he may actually have an as-new P495 like this for sale too, which would save you this bother of an Atlantic crossing. Half the price of a Trader, up to 9 miles a gallon on max range motoring or free if there's some wind, no gizmos needed to avoid rolling, takes the ground, and a 25-foot wide master cabin with power shower, eh, Gludy?

Longjohnsadler's Bank Holiday Pop Quiz : LJS is a whizz at knowing all the tunes. He hasn't got internet here but still knows the answers to the questions below and loads more. See how you do without googling, answers in next update. Yes, all the spelling is as it should be.

Who sang "Sweet Home Alabama?"

What sized engine did Godley and Cream have?

Who sang "Little Arrows"?

Which actress was Paul Simon once married to?

Which heavy metal rock group signed for Atlantic Records?

Who sang "Hey girl, don't bother me"?

Which band had an album called "Dummy"?

If you're about to go to work by Tube - what would have on your toast for breakfast? (answer is a song and band which sang it)

What does B.A.D. stand for, pop/rock-wise?

Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd died recently- what UK city was he living in?

Here you go folks for those following our intrepid sailors during their hardship.

Mrs TCM

A great write-up, read with much interest [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    "It's not that I think I'm better than you, it's just I'm a bit cleverer than you need to be to work here."

"Wolfie's got a BTEC."

"Exactly."

Mrs TCM

He's too relaxed ! Given the 'cigarette-lighter' problem and the laid-back attitude; you have to assume one of his crew-mates has smuggled something aboard from the Caribbean :shock:

Fair Winds and Fine Progress ... Enjoy All

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast