Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mojomo Update

Default Leg One Concludes...

Friday 11th May 9am local 10 am BST

38deg35N 29deg35W, Horta 50 miles away. 8knots, 72T

Yesterday a complete contrast with the previous windy days - warm sunshine.
    Calmer winds from well behind the beam, so motorsailing the last 300 miles to Azores. PWC has guessed we will arrive off Horta at 1400 Friday (today), and I've adjusted speed and course to arrive at the chosen spot within a few minutes of that time.

A relaxed sunny day, but para was very industrious and started making his flippin bread again. Huh! He is far too pleased with his new-found bread making skill, a lost art you know, should be passed through generations, shop-bought bread pah! etc etc. Paddy and I secretly wondered how the bread would turn out if there was far too much yeast? Good question. So whilst para went to find more ingredients and paddy engaged him in conversation I added a whole sachet of yeast to the mix. Para returned and continued to make hopefully-exploding bread with about five times more yeast than the recipe advised. Paddy managed to keep a straight face and quizzed para about the detail of the recipe, and how would too much yeast affect things? Para warned darkly of dire consequences such as hugely over-risen loaf, and insisted that the exact quantities were vital. Tee hee. We imagined that perhaps we would have to dig the bread out of the oven, possibly even buy a new oven. But then - the bread came out perfectly! And tasted fine too.
    Dang. Which was almost (but not quite) as funny. I admitted our failed prank to Para, who has promised retribution.

We also have to apologise to jimi, for giving him a dreadful mid-Atlantic fright of nightmare proportions. Feigning the transatlantic accent of an Iridium satellite telephone operator, we got pwc to call jimi's mobile and ask if he would accept a reverse charge call. Poor jimi. It sounded as though he fainted dead on the spot, but he just managed to squeak "no" and hang up. I only hope he has recovered with no secondary shock. It was cruel and thoughtless of us, and we can only say sorry again for threatening him with a gigantic phone bill.

Heyho. Not much else to report. Proper 2-3 metre rolling swell now from the north, Horta this afternoon and the end of the first leg. Do we shake hands to greet people in the Azores - or kiss both cheeks? The useless almanacs and guidebooks don't actually tell me anything about this famous "Azores Hi"

Default Message from Matt via mobile phone

Yo! 10 miles off

Default Re: Message from Matt via mobile phone

Just got text from PWC - 18 miles to go - blimey just how big is Mojomo!

I make that 8 miles long... matts on the bow with the GPS and PWC is steering..

well done chaps and congrats on a safe transat / landfall

Well given the time difference between the texts and the speed they're travelling, it'll be at least that then!

I reckon one's taken a reading from GPS satellites and the other is trialling Galileo. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Itis apis spotanda bigon etoo

Maybe they're just using a passage chart and thick pencils (low tech option) [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sextants I reckon! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

boo, just searched for a webcam at Horta. Lots of promises, no delivery. Anyone else find one ( my Portugese is a bit rusty)?
    Another person's thoughts about you are outside of your jurisdiction.

Default Re:webcam

how about This?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast