Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Piers is offline Registered User

Default In sympathy with Yachties....

On the return trip from St Vasst to the Solent on the MBM Normandy cruise, I cruised from abeam Bembridge to Lymington at 6kts. What an experience....

Many boats were around - it was a fine, hot, sunny day, and the day before the Tall Ships Parade.

I have to say I have now come out on the side of Yachties. Why? Motor boat after motor boat passed really close, their wakes creating the most severe rolling.

I cannot believe anyone did it on purpose. I just think they had no idea of the effect of their wash, nor how far away they should be, or how slow they should travel, to reduce the effect.

Is it an education process that's needed? If so, how?

It certainly taught me some lessons, if only to be much more sympathetic to yachties.

Piers du Pré
    MBM Cruising Club enthusiast
    www.playdeau.com
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

Default Re: In sympathy with Yachties....

I can imagine the effect, I remember the first voyage on my boat from non tidal Thames to Brighton and
    we had stopped at the pier outside South Dock on the tidal Thames waiting for enough tide for the lock
    Yes I know we were stationary but when the Thames Cats (thanks Mr Sean Collins) came steaming up
    at a fair rate of knots to berth in front of us, the effect on my 10 ton boat was like being stopped
    beam on in a force 5-6. We were inside the cabin holding everything down hoping the cleats would'nt
    break.

"The Med is calling me"

Years ago my late father had a princess 33 it would only cruise at 9 knots or so, all the time we had to experience faster boats passing us and throwing us about, but we did not complain and accepted this as boating in general, the goods and bad of this pastime, I think we could give them more room, but only when they stop some of there antics that they throw at us, respect in my book has to be earned.

paul js.

Sorry Piers with Paul on this one. Otherwise there would be no point in buying a fast boat as you would always have to go as slow as the others around. If you buy a boat that is going to get caught up in wash from others then tough you bought it for what you wanted from that boat and if you have to put up with the others doing what they bought theres for then you have made your bed so lie in it.

Not saying I go out to deliberatly to cause people discomfort but if I have to slow down for everyone or wait for them to do this that and the other it would spoil my fun.

Yesterday I thought no I will be polite and not overtake that raggie before he enters the harbour in Dielette and he then ended up taking the last decent space on the visitors pontoon and I had to squeeze my 26 footer into a 28 ft space. If I had overtaken him like I could have done or should have done he would have had to waste the time finding a space elsewhere and not me. I was still olite and said hello as he went past and he didnt even have the manners to say hello back and that includes his ugly wife!!

Be polite but dont ruin your own fun cos they bought a boat that is not right for your boating conditions.

Dom

I am boating again ;-)
    Dom

Why do people moan about wash so much, Lets face it water moves!!. I've only got a 21ft boat, but I mix it with the big boys down Poole way. Theres supposed to be a 10 knot limit in the harbour and 1400 mtrs radius from southhaven point outside it. Most of the boats at 10 knots kick up a massive wash. Its a fact of life boats on water make it move. If you don't like it, take up golf! Wash in the wrong place is an annoyance agreed. But if your out on the big wide briney and loads of boats around , what else can you expect, a mill pond.

Rant Over

OK, to hell with it. Unbolt it and we'll use it as an anchor!

lanason is offline Registered User

I get totally fed up with the wash my 4 year old son creates when he is in the bath. Makes a mess everywhere .....

out in the boat ..... then i expect it....... but I do resort to the occasional "Hey slow down" especially on the river last night. one big Princess I think sent all the boats a rocking for the wrong reasons !!! ;-)))

Adrian

Genius is not recognised during ones lifetime....
    Sandra (don't call me Ian) - To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

7. Default Re: In sympathy with Yachties....

Have just returned from 2 weeks (1 glorious!) on the welsh Riviera and, to answer your question, it is an education process. Out on the water a couple of power boats did the courteous thing and made a detour away from my 21ft sailboat. Dozens of others seem to use the boat as a target, homing in from a mile away, to go blasting past at high speed, no life jackets, kids ready to be jetisoned out. Why when there is not a space problem do they take such risks? When the water is flatish it seems that sense flies out of the window and all hell lets loose, it only takes a lapse in concentration, a rogue wave, a loose piece of flotsam or whatever to tip these craft over and not only are their lives in danger so are ours? If they would keep clear then fine, do what they like, but when my family are aboard I wish they would keep a safe distance away.

It is an education issue, not regulation, have said this before but will keep on saying it.

Thanks for your honesty in posting your view.

8. Default Re: In sympathy with Yachties....

<<Otherwise there would be no point in buying a fast boat as you would always have to go as slow as the others around. If you buy a boat that is going to get caught up in wash from others then tough you bought it for what you wanted from that boat and if you have to put up with the others doing what they bought theres for then you have made your bed so lie in it.>>

So if there were regulation what would you view be then?

<<Not saying I go out to deliberatly to cause people discomfort but if I have to slow down for everyone or wait for them to do this that and the other it would spoil my fun.>>

How unselfish of you.

<<Yesterday I thought no I will be polite and not overtake that raggie before he enters the harbour in Dielette and he then ended up taking the last decent space on the visitors pontoon and I had to squeeze my 26 footer into a 28 ft space. If I had overtaken him like I could have done or should have done he would have had to waste the time finding a space elsewhere and not me. I was still olite and said hello as he went past and he didnt even have the manners to say hello back and that includes his ugly wife!!>>

And had this been a powerboat what would your reaction be?

<<I am boating again ;-) >>

How unfortunate, lets hope Volvo can do raggies a favour again.

Geoffs is offline Registered User

It's funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing off Cowes yesterday, Saturday. It was packed with lots of different craft as there was power boat racing. Everyone, mostly everyone, power and sail were chugging alond at a leisurly six knots or so, because it was so busy.

But there was one, a largeish Sealine flybridge who just ploughed through the lot at high speed. It's not the wah so much, although it was big, but it was just bloomin dangerous in such crowded space.

OK the race boats were really shifting, that's what they're there for, listening on M2, race control was having a hell of a job keeping te course clear.

Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'
    Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'

mikef is offline Registered User

Oh, please, Piers, this subject has been flogged to death but if you want I'll flog it some more. First, if you must go up the Solent on a Bank Holiday weekend dont expect to do it splendid isolation. Second dont do it in your sports cruiser - it is'nt remotely suited to trundling at 6 knots, try something with a keel and half a ton of lead in it and you wont roll so much. Third, the commercial/professional traffic out there make far more wash than we do - or are'nt they allowed out there either when you're pottering about? Fourth, its not so bad anyway - I towed a broken down cruiser into Poole a few weeks ago at 5 knots and I was surprised how comfortable it was despite all sorts of boats buzzing about

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast