Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bore Glazing -Diesels

Can anyone tell me how long I can run a 120 hp engine with no load without possible glazing of the bore?
    Also what causes the bore to glaze?and what effect does this have on the running of the engine?
    Thanks John

Chris_Robb is offline Registered User

Default Re: Bore Glazing -Diesels

With a large engine like that, you must treat bore glazing seriously. Do not use the engine to charge the batteries even at a fast idle.

You must run under good load. So don't run at one third throttle for long periods.

As to how long it takes - don't try to find out!

Most boat engines fail through lack of use, and gentle handling.

Soltron are running test on this and have found that with use bore glazing is reduced. nothing to back it up yet but initial results look good.

If I get any more info I will update you.

Dom

I am boating again ;-)
    Dom

Default In practice though

Considering the environment and lack of care for most boat engines .... they last reasonably well compared to many other applications ... in an ideal world we would all try to stop glazing, no-load running etc., but life is generally not that accommodating !!!

Chris_Robb is offline Registered User

Default Re: In practice though

I agree with your comment, although in the back of my mind, I know I cannot afford to replace my good old Perkins 4236 - so I look after it - I suppose I almost paranoid with preventative maintenance! I hate running it for 5 mintes from cold just to get out of the marina.

I do like to keep the beers cold though...........

Default Re: Vereee Interesting ........

HMMM ..I notice Vyv hasnt said anything ..yet ! dont blame her :-)

Ohh small point .......how do you get an engine to run No-Load?....the gearbox, altenator, water pump, fuel pumps etc probably take about 10/15% of the power produced........

pvb is offline Registered User

Default Errr.. Vyv is a \"him\"! (nm)

I think I am right in saying that the glazing is caused by the incomplete burning of fuel. This is added to by the engine not getting sufficiently hot and therefore allowing a residue to build up in the piston grooves. This causes the piston rings to stick in the piston, thereby reducing the gas seal of the cylinder.

Whatever the cause, there is no doubt that it occurs with running the engine for periods when it is not under load. There is also no doubt that you should give your engine a very good, HARD work out on a fairly regular basis. This gets the designed operating heat right through the whole angine, loosens up and blows out carbon deposits and flushes plenty of hot oil, and importantly the detergents it contains, through the oilways.

The alternator etc will definitely not put enough load onto the engine to work it hard, especially one rated at 120hp! Unless you are powering the whole marina of course :-)

SteveA is offline Registered User

Default Re: Errr.. Vyv is a \"him\"! (nm)

10/15% load is no where near enough power to stop glazing - as an ex marine engineer I would endeavour to run any 4 stroke Diesel engine at no less than 65% load - large slow speed 2 strokes engines do not suffer from this problem and can be run for extended periods at low power.