View Poll Results: Sushi is a fad.

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 36.36%
  • No

21 63.64%

Default Leaving the Thames

I've been cruising the Thames for 25 years, currently with a 35ft cabin cruiser powered by a single 135hp inboard - max speed 7-8 knots - which is about 3 years old and owned by me from new. I'm about to move to Plymouth with a mooring on the Tamar and I really don't want to swap my boat for a go-faster one. I've no desire to water sport or cruise too far from home. Will taking my boat with me be a mistake?

Default Re: Leaving the Thames

Why would you not take her with you ? Am i missing something ?
    Blame it on the boogie .

Talbot is offline Registered User

The answer can only be worked out when you have analysed what sort of boating you intend to do in your new location, and compared that to the characteristics of your present vessel. Re-sale value of the craft should also be considered, as a boat that is suitable for inland waterways will not be very popular in an area where there are no such quiet waters.
    "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
    Robert A Heinlein

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Cruising in the west country is a different proposition from the thames, we came from the trent to Brixham 7 years ago.

The real question isnt so much about the speed of your boat, but what sort of a boat do you have?

Is it really suitable for the conditions which we get in the west country, The tamar is just fine, but as soon as you get out of Plym harbour you are going to be getting into entirely different conditions. And you WILL want to get out of Plymouth harbour!!

Will you be able to sell your boat on the Tamar as easily on the Thames?

You will however, love it down there!!

BTW; Were on the Tamar are you mooring? We used to have a bouy with Torpoint marina at Mount Edgcombe, I think that they still have some spots for this season, but we are now at PYH, and sailing!

Well thats the same on the Thames isn't it ? Theres loads of river before you go tidal and then theres loads of tidal before you get to the swell . [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I dunno i've only ever done the Thames .
    Blame it on the boogie .

Sixpence is offline Registered User

There's even more outside the Thames , as you'll find out if I keep nagging at you to try it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

whisper is offline Registered User

There's lots more of the Thames than the Tamar and the latter is all tidal.
    Still, provided the boat is seaworthy, then there are some lovely places to visit along the coast within 3 hrs of Plymouth Breakwater, travelling at 6-7kts.

Andrew_Fanner is offline Registered User

So, what boat?
    Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Why not take her with you and try for a season.If not ideal for the job 500 quid and a lowloader will soon have her back in the Thames and up for sale.