Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broom Ocean 37

Default Broom Ocean 37

I am looking at a broom ocean 37 circa 1978. What are these boats like? I will be spending most of my time on the river so what about bore glazing etc it has 145 perkins i think which i believe were the standard engine is it a turbo
    I have measured the airr draft to 8 feet 6 is this about correct the draft at 3 feet
    What is engine access like etc
    tell me all you know
    Thanks Nick

Default Re: Broom Ocean 37

[b] I am the world's foremost expert on the 1978 Ocean 37. I once owned one for 12 years or so. Email me byrona@royal.net with all your questions and I will put you right... especially on the draft which is in reality nearer 4' than the 3' you mention.

τΏτ
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm>http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm</A>

Come on Byron a brief summary for the rest of us would be nice.

Just hold tight dear it will not be so rough when we get round the corner,trust me.

boatone is offline Registered User

mmmmm...........most foremost........sounds like repeated tortology to me.....
    However, if a bit of meaningful discussion here stops you targetting Syd for even more angst and innuendo 'spose a bit of grammatical abberation can be tolerated in the interests of peace and harmony...........

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> My P32, BoatersGallery, VolpenUsersGroup</A>
    Thames powered craft owner ? Join the www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba

[b] It doesn't say 'most foremost' anywhere. Double vision? you weren't reading it through yer specs and then through the bottom of a glass were ya? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

τΏτ
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm>http://www.freeware.mcmail.com/435.htm</A>

You are near to me , are you looking at Newark marina?, if you can afford a bit more then buy a Crown, I also know where there might be one for sale at the right price, the crown is a lot nicer boat although it shares the same hull it if far better fitted out with a nice double bedded cabin in the rear.
    paul js.

An interesting fact is when this model first came on the market by Broom in the 70's they were - wait for it - only £12-13,000! but now on Brokerage they can fetch anything from £30,000-£70,000.

The Ocean 37 has a very unusual Galley arrangement - this area is set aft in the saloon where in the earlier Broom 37 Continentals this was forward under the saloon helm console.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by cfrew on 14/09/2002 14:29 (server time).</FONT></P>

And by the time the Crown came out the price had gone up a lot mine was commisioned in 1980 and the
    price new was £65k plus VAT mind you I got that info from Broom and the original owner had lots
    of extras like radar, autopilot, ss davits lots of extra storage etc.

"The Med is calling me"

miket is offline Registered User

Just make sure it was actually built by Broom.
    There should be a builders plate with the build number. Byron will tell you where to find it.
    Telephone Brooms, think it is still Andrew Stone, or see him at Southampton Boat Show. Bound to be there. He will tell you history and confirm build.

Although mainly early ones (early seventies) there are a surprising number that were Aquafibre mouldings fitted out by other yards.

However good the fit out it will never be worth market price if was not built by Broom.

Pauleng will give you the lowdown on Perkins 145's (yes turbo'd). They can consume vast amounts of oil at higher speeds, not noticed on the river, and they smoke profusely at river speeds. A good way to disillusion the seller is to briefly floor the throttles whilst underway (a few seconds is all it takes) having been dribbling along at river speeds for a while. It can be quite impressive (smoke).

Nice solid boats. Wet but soft at sea. Lots of entertaining space.

Default Re: Glazing

Nick,

No worry about glazing the bores on an old engine. It only happens on newish engines, if they are not run hard enough to scuff the rings tight to the bores. When/if they have been run in they should be ok thereafter. Might be worth giving one motor a bit of welly every now and again to keep them in good nick just as advised with present turbo-diesel cars. Non-turbos don't have the problem and I doubt if an old Perkins would now.

Anthony