Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default UPDATE tV aERIAL

well get the glomextv v9125one, today and went to boat.

Was disappointed in the rece[ption on tv, no real difference to indoor tv aerial.

Was wondering if i might be best mounting it on a pole? for extra height.

My daughter even said to me, mam i think the aerial might be broken [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

So not really further forward [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

jcmmarine is offline Registered User

Default Re: UPDATE tV aERIAL

Have found that ariel affected by surrounding masts and onboard flourecent lights. Alone at anchor with no florecent lights on - it works.
    John
    Sailing is for fun, Engines are for going places.

sarabande is offline Registered User

Have you tested the aerial at a different place to see if it is producing a signal there ? Is the aerial directional ? Can it "see" the nearest TV broadcasting aerial when on board ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Wiggo is offline Registered User

We have one and it makes sod all difference on terrestrial, digital was OK, but not everywhere so we gave up on it. We use Sky these days...
    The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry and doubt.
    <span style="color:blue">
    http://www.nereid-charter.com
    </span>

got told is was omini directional, might try it other side.

It was postioned on top of radar arch but took it down stairs and seemed to get a better reception at bow of berth

I just dont understand aerials at all.

Try turning it on its side, apparently TV signals in the UK are broadcast in either vertical or horizontal configeration dependant on where you are, flying saucers are only any good for one of them don't know which though.
    We have a status omndirectional on the Norfolk broads and guess what.

It's really all about height and making sure not affected by surroundings which will give echoes and affect signal strength.

You can't beat putting it up on a pole on radar arch really. You may find a picture elsewhere but may not be a consistent signal.

I have a Triax UFO and seem to get a picture in situations where lesser aerials fail miserably. Also make sure coax cable connections are Ok to aerial - maybe just the cable picking up a signal! With UFO red light lets you know connections are OK and there is power to aerial.

We have one on current boat and had one on the last boat. Both flippin' useless - would never buy one. Sorry, that's not very helpful seeing as you just have but I didn't see your earlier post.

What would you recommend instead? Going back to boat tomorrow to have a mess round with it.

Or should i just come to point that realsie not going to get a good reception in marina.

[ QUOTE ]
    What would you recommend instead? Going back to boat tomorrow to have a mess round with it.

Or should i just come to point that realsie not going to get a good reception in marina.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the problems with these aerials is that they receive from all directions and hence the interference! Have you tried a freeview box? Freeview boxes can eliminate all co-channel interference and hence you may get a good signal.
    I've found that (where there is a freeview signal) my glomex aerial often won't get any analogue signal that can be viewed but will receive almost perfect digital freeview.

The only other solution is to use a small satellite dish and an old sky box, which so long as you have line of sight to the satellite will give excellent results when moored on a pontoon.