Default Companion Boats, Solent Departure

Not sure if I am the only big-girls-blouse but it would be great to match up with a similarly capable (ie slow) boat for the crossing, we will be leaving from the solent area so my feeling is that there may be one or two others around.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Default Re: Companion Boats, Solent Departure

We'll be heading out of Chichester on the Friday - current thinking is around 0400 ... and our water speed is generally between 5 and 6 knots ...
    I hope Galadriel will be doing similar ... but has he goes faster than I do (longer boat) I'll be leaving a little earlier ...
    What sort of speed are you expecting?

4-5kn average, we rarely exceed 5.5 and the hull max 5.7

Usually when planning I got for 4, not least of which 'cos it makes the maths really easy. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Its a nice idea to buddy up for the crossing.

Janes Buoy will be leaving on Thursday Night and crossing to St Vaast, spend rest of Friday at St Vaast then St Vaast to Cherbourg Saturday morning, Cherbourg (early start!) to Solent on the Sunday if anyone wishing to have a contact. I hope to be crossing at 6-7 kts dependant on wind and when sailing to a timetable hoist the iron sail when speed falls below 5kts (apologies to the purists!!).

Hopefully no one will need it but I always carry diving gear for X channel trips after 3 fouled props one year!

Malthouse - you queried me this on the other thread and I missed it, sorry ... we will be most happy to sail in company but we haven't decided yet whether we will leave early for St Vaast or head straight for Cbg later ... moreover, we may or may not be "slow", depending on wind (we are an Island Packet 370, which is a full keel heavy cruiser so in a decent puff we'll do 6-7 knots but without, 3-5). Once we decide our where-to and when, we will check back & post here.

May be a little slow - but if you leave about 0200 we'll catch up mid channel! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Malthouse, Fireball

I plan to leave Chichester Harbour on Friday am, probably around 0530 and return Sunday am in time to get the tide up the east side of IOW on Sunday late afternoon/early evening, back into Chi.

Boats a bit faster than yours normally but the bottom will be a bit dirty by late September. However with a decent bit of wind should get 6/7 knots

[ QUOTE ]
    Its a nice idea to buddy up for the crossing.

Janes Buoy will be leaving on Thursday Night and crossing to St Vaast, spend rest of Friday at St Vaast then St Vaast to Cherbourg Saturday morning, Cherbourg (early start!) to Solent on the Sunday if anyone wishing to have a contact. I hope to be crossing at 6-7 kts dependant on wind and when sailing to a timetable hoist the iron sail when speed falls below 5kts (apologies to the purists!!).

Hopefully no one will need it but I always carry diving gear for X channel trips after 3 fouled props one year!

[/ QUOTE ]
    we will be doing much the same, (route, time and speeds) setting off from Beaulieu or maybe Lymington - havent looked at the tides properly yet. Hopefully we wont need your diving services, but useful to have in the back of the mind. On our club's summer cruise, 6 out of 19 boats caught something in the 2 week period, but mainly down on the Brittainy coast.
    was BIGNICK, SkyTalk, MoodyNick in the past.

Anyone departing for Cherbourg via the Needles about 1800 Friday? We shall be toodling about the Solent during the day, having some last minute crew drills and laying up outside Yarmouth in the afternoon for a kip & teatime, to await the tide turn ... we'd be happy to head out in company ... IP370, boat name Castle Island ... anyone about there and then?