Default V8 Running problems

Hi all
    I have a 1998 5.0l v8 with thunderbolt 5 ignition, It starts and runs fine for about 10 to 15 seconds and then cuts out, it does the same whatever the throttle/revs are. It idles at 600 rpm. It doesn't restart straight away, i was thinking fuel and therfore changed the fuel sepaerating filter but she still consistently dies. Any help would be great.

Default Re: V8 Running problems

Most likely ignition module.

I have a complete scrap engine in my workshop if your interested, I will ring the owner and ask him what he wants to do with it.

Have you checked the oil pressure switch that goes to the fuel pump ?
    You have an a oil pressure sender that goes to the guage on the dash, but also you a seperate switch that goes to the fuel pump, idea being that it wont pump fuel if the oil pressure is low, it will only give you 15-20 seconds of running which seems to be what you are getting. I have heard its a common problem, easy to test just jump the wires on the switch and see if it cures the problem.
    "Boat that never leave pond, never know wonder of ocean...."

Typical marine engineer turns up and it doesn't cut out, ( midas touch). It seems to be runing rich i'll post again the outcome.

dpb is offline Registered User

If it is a carburetor model check the choke operation.

Hi all
    Problem sorted, i tried what neil said above and bridged the wires at the Oil pressure switch that leads to the fuel pump and she is now purring like a kitten.