Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default I might get into trouble for this

Hello all, First of all can I just say I have been on this forum now for only a few days, but most people have made me more then welcome, a special thanks to Simon "Its_Only_Money" who made a effort to come and view the boat with me, think I have made a friend there.
    However as a "NewBie" I think I can comment on how some people make new people out to be stupid, and childish and unsensible, and dreamy, Read the post about my question to toe and a reply from Hib, I really dont think comments like that are any good, and seems that they are made just to make people look stupid.

Remember it is the foolish person who does not ask questions, the people who ask and ask and ask are the people that you really dont need to worry about.
    I just wanted to let you all know how put off by asking more questions that hib has made me feel.

Default Re: I might get into trouble for this

Keep asking away, we are here to help. You might get conflicting advice sometimes, but that is based on different experiences, but on the whole, well meant. hlb is not very new user friendly.

Thanks BrendanS, I just really get angry when people make other people out to be stupid, its degrading.
    But I do as said appreciate other people comments.

glad you got loads of help - I didn't take any comments as they obv seemed to you.... it's just like a boozer really I think; some may seem short, but still knowledgeable.

Just one thought. It's not exactly in your area, but we've started a regular forum meet in Wilts, just off J17 of M4, which is a bit of a trek for you. However, at meets like this, you can spend several hours asking questions and getting feedback from people with all levels of experience.

Far quicker learning than on forum, and you are welcome to come along to any of them. Have a look in virtual pub forum, and keep a look out for next meet.

Thanks that soundS like something that would be worth a trip up, and yes I would love to get some more advice and get to meet some of you,.
    Hay Perhaps I could cruise my boat up ? (JOKING)

Hi,
    I agree with what I think you are trying to say about the subject of 'questions'!
    Anyway, don't worry about that!
    Was it Confusious (sic) - or someone - who may have said something like: "He who asks questions feels only a fool for a short time. He who doesn't ask questions is a fool for all time..." Or something.
    Asking questions on the forum is usually a thankless task!
    Anyway - Happy Sailing. (That's all you can hope for!). (Or Happy towing). And glad to hear you've got some assistance from some kindly folk. As a famous yacht designer said: "The most important thing about boating, is the people you go boating with - or not, if you sail single-handed." Or as someone on here recently quoted Conrad: "It's not the ships, it's the men that's in them."
    All the best.

We are still trying to understand your level of knowledge. You have mentioned elsewhere having RYA qualifications, but that doesn't equate to actual knowledge of long distance trips in small boats.

It's fairly easy to get RYA qualifications, but even with my knowledge of rough water and relatively long distance trips, and having RYA qualifications, I'd be wary of doing a trip from Cardiff to Swansea, which you are asking about on Bristol Channel forum. That's not a trip to do without understanding the issues, and the questions you are asking suggest that trip is something you should delay until you have far more experience.

I have a great deal of knowledge of doing trips in small boats, and can describe to others how to do them. However. Despite having being born near Swansea, and spent years living on Bristol Channel, it's not an area I've explored in small boats. So, if plonked into Cardiff with my own 21' boat, I'd not be doing trips to Swansea until I really knew the waters, and had time to build up experience of the area.

hlb is offline Registered User

I dont intend, for one minute that you are stupid, little informed, maybe, nothing against newbies at all. Just giving you cool hard facts. Maybe a bit blunt, how many words do you want me to use here. Towing a 2.5 ton boat is nearly death defying with a normal car. JUst like other folk said, maybe I said it different, but still the same. YOU REALY NEED a three ton truck. Sorry, i pressed the wrong button.

You asked. I gave you good advise, right vehicle and loads of experience. I aint got a F clue what your experience is.

Most folk round here will know, who's been about a bit, who's done a few sea miles and who's done a bit of towing as well. My comments were not ment to make you stupid. Just that fools rush in where angels fear to tread. ( It's a song) But true.

You will not know about it till that trailer is pushing you, ziggzagging out of control. Pushing the car round. A bit unnervingly. You want me to jump out of the sky then, to answer your questions. I'm not doctor who.

Just realise where you are now from where you came in. You started off with a boat, maybe good enough for a boating lake. You now have one , maybe good enough for, uum maybe, but not much sence. It's not going to take you to Cornwall, with any reliability.

21' boat with 4 wheel braked trailer is easily towable by most decent 4x4's.

His boat will easily go around UK all way round with some experience.