Default Another gel coat problem

when my boat was lifted from its winter sleep in a midlands boat yard for its trip to its new home a series of stress cracks appeared about a third of the way down the port side.
    I know that these wern't there before as it had been surveyed down in poole, I was present and very impressed with how thouroughly the hull was inspected. Over the winter the anti foul was completely striped back to gel, had 2 coats of epoxy and 3 coats of antifoul plus the hull had 3 coats of polish, so I would definately have noticed any blemish let alone a band of stress cracks just above the waterline about a meter long, did spot them while it was still in the slings.
    the lift was a bought in crane to a canal boat yard, which is where we put her to do some winter work as we are in Birmingham and trips to the coast through the winter wern't that appealing. The same crane lifted her off the lorry when she arrived with no problem.
    Made enquirys at the time and it appears that the crane driver is not at fault as it was lifted correctly,
    The surveyor is not at fault as there is nothing evidntly wrong, all bulkheads are securley bonded etc.
    The insurance wont cover it as it was not caused in an accident.
    Given a whole winter working on her it was decided to put her in and use her for the season then get it rectified at the end of the season, as the cracks are above the water line and this year the boat has only been used inland on the broads.

Does anyone have any idea what could have caused the cracks in the first place and can anyone recommend someone to do the work up in Norfolk.?

Ian

Default Re: Another gel coat problem

124 views and not 1 response, seems all my problems are unique [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Sorry to hear about the stress cracks, although it's not a major job to repair, blending in the repair will be.

Were the cracks only around where the slings lifted the boat? & did the crane use a frame narrower than your boat to attatch the slings to (could have been squeezed)?

Is it worth employing another surveyor for an expert opinion?

I must admit I fully inspect the area's the slings have been after a lift but not had a problem so far.

Hope everything works out ok.
    Living the Champagne lifestyle on Beer Money

The cracks are about 1m long and there are 4 of them all running about 1" apart in a wavey line, they were centered on the front strap on the port side just above the water line.
    No the crane did not use a frame to lift and I questioned this but after talking to five other boat lifters they all said that providing the straps were long enough then this was a perfectly satisfactury method of lifting as the boat is only 3 tons, the straps were attached to chains about 20' long which apparently should be fine.
    Did have another survetor look at it but he said there was no obvious reason for it happening as there is no evidence of impact and all structural and secondary bondings appear sound.

Ian

I think its very hard to make a usefull comment without seeing the damage in the flesh. It would be easy to draw a mistaken conclusion and that won't help you. If it was my boat I would see if there was an owners club and if any other owners have had simular probems. With regard to the repair I would imagine that they would be dremmelled out and made good with colour matched gel coat. Hopefully there will be no damage below the gel coat layer. I know a very good gel coat repairer but he is in Sussex so a bit far from you.
    Good luck.